would my idea work for keeping a bunny cool in hot weather?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
I wanted to know if I could make a gel to go on my rabbits ears to keep them damp out of pectin and water

Just from the physics perspective, kind of yes... - BUT: it's essentially a petri dish for bacteria and funghi. Also, it would still dry rather quickly, leaving a very sticky, matted mess of fur and whatever they come in contact with, coating the ears, reducing the heat flow. It would only make some sense when you have to cool down rabbits in an emergency, but simple water will do that well anyway.

I think the system of blood vessels and skin is pretty much optimised, adding random stuff has very little potential to make things better.

A cool resting place, like a stone or iron slab with cooling packs underneath, imho is a good way to cool rabbits. That's the way they do it themself, dig away warm topsoil and get their bellies into the shallow pit.

Attachments

• Hot Bunny.JPG
    Hot Bunny.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 13
I think the problem would be that once the gel warmed up from the ears, the ears would lose their ability to radiate any more heat; the gel would essentially be an insulator keeping more heat in than out. It would probably be great when it went on, but would quickly become more uncomfortable than dry ears!

Like @Preitler said, evolution has landed on the way the ears are currently set up as a solution. That being said, human breeding may have undone some of this optimization, but it's still pretty optimal.

I would concentrate on passive cooling methods (already mentioned) that allow bunny to cool when he needs to, and warm up if he gets too cold.

But it's awesome you're thinking of creative ways to give your bun a better life! Thanks for sharing your idea!

You could mist the back of the ears (make sure no water gets inside) with just water if they get too hot. I just use cold damp hands and stroke the back of the ears.

I wanted to know if I could make a gel to go on my rabbits ears to keep them damp out of pectin and water

If you live in the Seattle area then you won't need to worry about heat. From what I see on weather there, the highs in mid-summer don't even reach 80F. If it gets over 85F, then you can think about ways to keep them cool.

Two of our buns live in our air-conditioned quarters and four live in our fairly cool basement. To help the ones in the basement stay cool, in the warm months we run an oscillating floor fan 24/7. The breeze keeps a bit of air moving past those big ears to help dissipate their body heat.

Rather than buy an expensive new fan I picked up a couple at a thrift store for something like $5, apiece. It's the best money I ever spent for our buns. :)

A jug of ice will last longer. But... the condensation on it and the might not be worth it. I did that one summer for one of our bucks who seemed to be suffering from the heat. He would snuggle up to it.

Back