World's Biggest Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think the healthiest either....sad thing is his life span will be so short. only downfall with rabbits this big

i cant beleive he has an insurance policy on him worth more than mine by triple.

fuzz16 wrote:
i dont think the healthiest either....sad thing is his life span will be so short. only downfall with rabbits this big
I haven't clicked the link, but I'm pretty sure I know what bunny it's about. There is a breed in Europe called the Continental Giant (I think), which is similar to the U.S. Flemish Giant, but larger.

They are selectively bred for this size, which also means selectively bred for good health. Their size isn't because of excess weight or unhealthy eating habits or lifestyle. Despite their large size, they can be just as healthy and live just as long as other bunnies. :)

But again, that's if we're talking about what I think we're talking about.:p My computer wouldn't open the links.

I'm wondering if this is the same bunny I saw on the news yesterday? (The Today Show)...

They said he eats like 6 carrots, a whole head of lettuce and something else DAILY! That can't be healthy for him to have all those veggies. I wonder if he gets pellets or hay?

Emily

Yes it did say it was a continental giant, 4 ft 3 inches, and 50 pounds! I think the video did show it was from the today show. Did other people have trouble viewing the link?

Yea they said a bowl of "rabbit chow" which I'm assuming is pellets, 2 apples, a dozen carrots and half a cabbage. Can you feed bunnies cabbage? Anyways that is a ton of food but it's also a huge rabbit.

I really think this is silly.

There is no way rabbits are supposed to be that large. My questions is WHY?

I'm sure it has heart problems. I really don't understand people sometimes. It really confuses me why anyone would spend all that time to breed a 50 pound rabbit. I mean sure, Flemish and Continental Giants are large...but I think they are in the 20 pound range (often times smaller). And the life insurance policy...come on.

I saw this yesterday.

As long as there is the Guinness Book of World Records, there will always be people trying to breed animals bigger (or smaller) as the case may be.

I'm just glad that they record is based solely on length and not weight. I do think this bunny is overweight and would like to see him eating a more varied diet than pellets, apples, carrots, and cabbage, but that's not what's got him the world record.

Rue

The WHY is simplethough sad...
The ones in Germany that I know of specifically...
They are raised primarliy for the Korean meat market...it is their size that makes them so desirable.:(

I have wanted one for aLONG time.
Tony says we can get one if I can find a breeder nearby or one that won't cost me a fortune to bring to us!

He wants to name it Harvey...go figure.

Danielle:)

Holland Lops are selectively bred for their characteristics too, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily 'healthy'- they are more prone to problems with nasal passages and tear-ducts, dental problems etc., due to this selective breeding to make their face squishy.

Generally the larger breeds live for less time than smaller breeds, I believe.

I worry about the handling of these huge breeds. How is it possible to support them in the way needed? A nethie needs to be supported properly, and firmly, and need to stop them kicking hard and hurting themselves- how could someone possibly do this with a 50lb rabbit? Answer is...they can't. If the bunny wanted to kick, it would lol.

I think the problem that people have with this breeding to get a large size of rabbit, is that sometimes their bodies just can't support them- even though the size of the rabbit is huge, doesn't mean that it's organs etc. are large or good enough to support it.

Obviously that is not saying that all Holland Lops will have obstructed tear ducts and molar spurs etc. or that all Continental Giants will die at 5 years old from a heart problem etc. but I think certain breeds are just more prone to certain things, due to this selective breeding for the 'desired' characteristics.
But as with all breeds I am sure there are disadvantages and advantages etc., and which illnesses etc. they are more prone to.

And Snowballbun- yes rabbits can have cabbage, just not in huge quantities because it has been known to cause gas. My rabbits love cabbage :)

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
Holland Lops are selectively bred for their characteristics too, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily 'healthy'- they are more prone to problems with nasal passages and tear-ducts, dental problems etc., due to this selective breeding to make their face squishy.
Just out of curiosity, would you be able to direct me to any articles, books, websites, etc., that discuss health problems specifically related to Hollands? I have heard things like this thrown around in conversation before, but have had Hollands for years now and havent encountered any problems such as these before. I would have thought it would have popped up in that amount of time with so many bunnies. But it sounds like you may have done some research into it, so I would appreciate if you could hook me up with some reliable resources about that! :) Thanks in advance!

Glad I can help, but I have to say, I am no expert, so if you want hard proof, I think you'll need to go digging yourself :).

Well obviously I am no expert myself, but it does seem the general consensus that rabbits which are bred to have these types and shapes of heads and faces (including many lops) can be more genetically predispositioned to dental problems etc., which also seems quite logical to me.
I don't mean Holland Lops specifically- I used that as an example ;)- but for lops in general.

Here's a thread of our own, with slightly contrasting views:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=55813&forum_id=16

Diana Krempels Ph.D http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/holland-lop.htm

Holland Lops, like any purebred animal, are more prone to congenital health problems, and especially to dental problems such as malocclusion.
Read more here http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

This is from the Rabbit Welfare Association:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=breeds.html

More of a concern is whether the breed you have chosen has any health problems. For example, Netherland Dwarfs as well as the popular Lop breeds are at high risk of serious teeth and eye problems. It's vital to select a breeder whose stock has no history of such problems, or if you are adopting a rescue rabbit, choose a bunny that has had a careful dental check at the time of neutering.

This is from http://www.lagomorphs.com/dentalchallenges.pdf

While diet plays a major role in many dental problems, genetics are also an important factor. Some rabbits are born with obvious dental problems such as an overbite or underbite. Others have teeth that appear normal at birth but seem to have a genetic predisposition for problems later in life. Dental problems are more common in certain breeds of rabbits — specifically the Netherland Dwarf and many lops, especially those with “flat” faces. Pure breed rabbits seem to have more dental problems than mixed breeds, perhaps because of inbreeding. Some veterinarians who neuter and spay rabbits for shelters and rescue groups are routinely check teeth while they have the rabbit under anesthesia. If you adopt from such a group, ask whether a dental exam was done and make a note of any problems found during the exam.

There is no hard evidence there at all, but from what I've read, this appears to be thought among many. Unfortunately I'm at Uni atm so my books are at home. I will definately post from there when I get back home though.

There will definately be people here who disagree with this, and some that do agree. I myself are more leaning towards these above articles, but am definately willing to learn more about this.

Jen

Dariusis absolutely gorgeous!...i would love to be 'owned' by a conti one day....i have wanted one for a long time now.

jcottonl02 wrote:
There will definately be people here who disagree with this, and some that do agree. I myself are more leaning towards these above articles, but am definately willing to learn more about this.
Thanks for looking those up, Jen! I enjoyed reading them.

It's always been an interesting comment to me because it seems to be mentioned periodically in articles like that, but I've never lost a Holland to any of those problems and have not heard back from anyone who bought rabbits from me that ran into complications.

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying that it couldn't be true. But as I read those articles, I wondered whether the statements may be publicized just as a preference to people adopting rabbits rather than buying them. I'd really be interested in a friendly "debate" or in better words, just back and forth discussion hearing different sides of the story so that maybe we can all get a better understanding of both sides. So if anyone else wants to chime in with articles or experiences, feel free!

One of the articles said something about how Hollands, Netherlands, and other lops are more predispositioned for dental problems because of their flat faces. Ok, well with evidence, I may be more apt to believe this. I haven't seen anything leading me to believe it within my herd, but a qualified, rabbit-savvy veterinarian may be able to convince me of that one. But then following that statement, it says that purebreed rabbits are likely to have more dental problems that mixed breed rabbits. I would very confidently argue that statement because malocclusion is a DQ in show and reputable breeders will selectively breed for this. It doesn't mean that malocclusion never shows up, but any animals who suffer from malocclusion are usually removed from the herd and not bred. In fact, if it keeps showing up in a particular line or breeding, all the rabbits throwing it are often removed from the herd. So if anything, I wouldn't say that any rabbit is more likely to develop dental problems, other than those who obviously come from a poor genetic cross that seems to throw it, regardless of breed.

Now at the same time, I did say that rabbits with dental problems were removed from the herd. Euthanasia is sometimes an option, but I appreciate that this isn't a breeding forum and won't discuss that end of it. But some breeders will sell pets with malocclusion (with full disclosure) because it's not a fatal issue most of the time. It's something that can certainly be controlled and sometimes even corrected over time. So many of these rabbits end up as pets. Could it be that veterinarians have a skewed sample number? They may see mixed breeds daily that have few dental problems, but a majority of the purebreds that show up do because they are a breeder's "culls". In this case, their experience would tell them that purebred rabbits are more likely to develop dental issues.

And in another case, the purebred rabbits that most vets see are not always purebred, or not always well bred purebreds. They may be pet shop bunnies who kinda might possibly be a dwarf, but kinda might possibly just be a mix that looks very close to a dwarf. Since most of the information is from a vet's point of view, you never know what samples of rabbits their seeing or what their real lineage is most of the time.

So anyway, it's just food for thought! I hope you don't take this personally, Jen. I'm not attacking your articles in any way, I really appreciate you putting the time into finding them! It's just an interesting topic that I think may be worth discussing since it's "out there", but seems like more of an assumption based on experience. Which most things are, I suppose.:p After all, my thoughts are all from my experience too. It just always comes up in these discussions about the BIG bunnies. Maybe they're healthy after all because they're purebred. Maybe they're less healthy because they're purebred. Or maybe they're healthy or less healthy with no relation to their lineage.

Definately agree- a great point for discussion :D. I'm just rushing out atm but I'd love to come back to a large (friendly) debate of opinions, ideas etc.

I have to say both my lops are totttally mixed breed, but both have had dental problems, and one still does. So that is not really any evidence on my part, but you have purebred hollands, don't you? So that is interesting that none have had any dental problems etc.

Anyway gotta rush but just wanted to voice my approval of this :D Maybe another thread could be started? I'd love to learn the 'truth' about this sort of stuff, because I think you are right in the fact that people hear stuff, quote it, then this is quoted, then again in another source etc.

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
I'd love to learn the 'truth' about this sort of stuff, because I think you are right in the fact that people hear stuff, quote it, then this is quoted, then again in another source etc.
I agree! And I think that many things like this are stated initially by veterinarians who do know what they're talking about, but may be working from a biased sample of animals. Bringing together the experience of breeders and pet owners alike is probably the only way to get a large enough sample size to really make any valid guesses as to whether purebred or mixed breed really makes a difference. :)

The video is a bit deceiving I think, because the bunny (Darius) doesn't look anywhere near 50 lbs. (I guess it's hard to tell unless you actually see him in person.) I too would love to have a Continental...I've always been drawn to the bigger bunny breeds.

As for the 'whys' of breeding larger, or for certain type, I believe that's been a fault of humans for as long as we've been creating 'specialty' breeds, be it dog, cat, horse, cow, etc. When tinkering with genetics and breeding to elongate, shorten, make cuter, produce more, often health issues are introduced. (Take my soft spot of the rabbit breed: English lops. They are prone to more ear infections, ear lacerations, sore hocks, tail injuries, back injuries or spinal problems, eye and joint problems, and other issues than many breeds because of their exaggerated features, all due to breeding for type.) And I've seen so many purebred dogs with breed-specific issues, I just tend to believe that with certain breeds of rabbits will come the predisposition for certain health issues. Of course not all rabbits of specific breeds will wind up having issues, but the predisposition would be there (imo)...based upon skeletal/dental/other factors, which is why a good breeder will always cull any rabbit from his or her breeding program if faults are revealed, and will select only the best stock to breed. Even mixed breeds may have predisposition to certain health issues, depending upon their genetic background.

I agree, interesting subject. :)

Back