woody pet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmist

Reaction score
I belong to another site that you can askquestions about any type of pet, or you can become an expert and answerthese questions. There was a question regarding litters and Irecommended Wood Pet of course. I have used this with noproblems and the same with most of you. Another so-calledexpert responded with the following:

"I just wanted to tell you that some one gave you the information touse "WoodyPet" for your bun litter. This information can cause yourbuns to become very sick with respitory problems please try to avoidthis type of litter for you buns.
the Woody Pet litter is not made for rabbits it will break down into adust form when is used. this dust causes buns to become very ill I onlyspeak beacuse my slf used a similar brand and Ilost my bun a year agodue to respitory troubles caused by this type of litter. Now I only usethe wood shavings you can buy in bulk at any feed store there is orcommon pet store. The wood shavings I personally use are notcedar orpine it is 100% American wood Shavings they are for a big bale onlyaround 5 $ and will last you several months. I hope this has helped youin your search for cheaper bunnie litter".

So what do you think, any suggestions for a response!

Susan

Interesting...but he didn't use this exact brandfrom what the post says. It does go into kinda dust like whenwet, but I've never seen it actually dusty, as being wet it holds ittogether...if that makes sense.

Hi i've never used litter what i do is irecently purchased some lavender scented shavings and i mix this inwith the regular shavings i use where my bun does her business and itseams to stop the smell and the smell doesnt bother the bun

I've been using Woody Pet for a few weeks nowand have not seen any dust. I do change the litter box every coupledays and spot clean daily.

I've been using Woody Pet for a long time now, with three rabbits, and have never had any problems with it whatsoever.

He didn't mention a brand, just that it was a "similar brand".Obviously not the same as Woody Pet and to me, makes it null and voidas far as the cons he states.

When they pee on it, it does break down, but stays together, as PGGstated. I don't see this as a major issue, especially as it's not inthe litter box long enough, as we change ours very frequently.

Where's Jim? I'm suprised he didn't jump on the chance to defend woody pet.:D

I am sorry for that person who lost their bunny due to respiratory problems. :(

I use Woody Pet and will continue to doso. Any soiled Woody Pet will fluff up and become a damp massof wood fibers. In order for the product to breakdown to a dust form, itwouldhaveto be in the litter box for a long time andbecome very dry to turn into a finesawdust. Even I would change my litterbefore it gets to that stage. {Oh.. it takes me upto 3 months to use a bag of Woody Pet.} :D

Dried out Woody Pet sawdust would settledto the bottom of the litter and only digging it up and breathing itin, would be a low incidence to get respiratoryproblems. Damp Woody Pet would still feeldry to the touch. I find the paper dust fromCarefresh even finer and airborne. If you areworried about your bunny digging in the Woody Pet, use ascreen to cover it, like I do. Here isthe link tothe screened litter box.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9548&forum_id=1&page=4

Woody Pet is more absorbent than Wood Shaving and it locks in the urineodor better than regular shavings. WoodyPet is a Soft White Wood that isprocessed to extract resins, oils, tars, acids and water fromthe wood fiber. Dangerous Aromatic Hydrocarbons have beeneliminated. There are No Additives and it is 100%Biodegradable Sterile Wood Fiber. When it comesto throwing it out, a weekoflitter only fills aregularplastic shopping bag. :cool:

Whatkind is100% American WoodShavings? Is there any more information aboutthis shaving?

Until there is something cheaper, easier,moreabsorbent, and better than Woody Pet,I will continueusing it for now.

I'll turn the microphone over to Jim now......:dude:

Rainbows! :)

I just started using a similar brand to WoodyPet. Hooray! Yes, it breaks down into shaving whenwet, but they are wet shavings. They don't fly aroundunless kicked (the ladies do dig and chase each other through thelitter boxes). There's hardly any dust in the drypellets. The bag says it's made for horses, reptiles, andsmall animals and has a picture of a rabbit as one of the "animalexamples."

Was he maybe using wood stove pellets? Those are NOT made foranimals and therefore are not really a similar brand to Woody Pet, justa somewhat similar product.

I dont use woody but use a simliar product that I can get much easier than woody and no problems here.

Cristy

irishmist wrote:
I belong to another site that you can ask questions aboutany type of pet, or you can become an expert and answer thesequestions. There was a question regarding litters and Irecommended Wood Pet of course. I have used this with noproblems and the same with most of you. Another so-calledexpert responded with the following:

"I just wanted to tell you that some one gave you the information touse "WoodyPet" for your bun litter. This information can cause yourbuns to become very sick with respitory problems please try to avoidthis type of litter for you buns.
the Woody Pet litter is not made for rabbits it will break down into adust form when is used. this dust causes buns to become very ill I onlyspeak beacuse my slf used a similar brand and Ilost my bun a year agodue to respitory troubles caused by this type of litter. Now I only usethe wood shavings you can buy in bulk at any feed store there is orcommon pet store. The wood shavings I personally use are notcedar orpine it is 100% American wood Shavings they are for a big bale onlyaround 5 $ and will last you several months. I hope this has helped youin your search for cheaper bunnie litter".

So what do you think, any suggestions for a response!

Susan
:duck:

Pishaw I say, PISHAW!

....as quoted from the Woody Pet website:

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]THE BEST PRODUCT[/font]
[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Raw WhiteSoft Wood Shavings and Sawdust undergoes extreme processing whichextracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the woodfiber. Exiting the milling process the product is completely sterile ingranulated form and has become an extreme absorbent. Looks like, butdoes not taste like Granola. We have eliminated the Dangerous AromaticHydrocarbons . There are NO ADDITIVES of any kind in this product, itis 100% Biodegradable Sterile Wood Fiber.[/font]

[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]BEST BEDDING BECAUSE IT IS SAFE[/font]
[font="Futura, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Woody PetProfessional Animal Bedding is the Best NON-TOXIC alternative for woodshavings because there are no Dangerous Hydrocarbons like there are inpine and cedar wood shavings.[/font]

Latest posts

Back