won't eat carrots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryleebee

Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions on getting myBella to eat carrots or crunchy treats? She used to eat themwhen we first got her 1 year ago but now won't touch them. Ihave to take her into get her teeth clipped every 3 weeks and the vetdoesn't have any idea how to get her interested again. I'vetried giving her only crunchies to eat but she just won't eat at allthen. She doesn't chew her wood toys or paper that she has inher cage either. I think she's really a prima donna but welove her dearly. Any ideas??

PS - this does mean that all my furniture stays in tact though . . .

Carrots are pretty high in sugar to be aconstant food. If there's nothing else wrong with her (Idon't have experience with buns that need incisors cut) but if you wanther to eat veggies, go with greens like dark lettuce and parsley.

If you want her to eat crunchies for her teeth, make sure she alwayshas plenty of hay. Try a fragrant Orchard Grass hay, or mix alittle afalfa with her timothy hay. Maybe sprinkle applejuice into the middle of the hay to spark her interest.

Do you have branches or wooden treats for her to enjoy?Again, rub apple into wood toys, or check out store bunny/hamster woodchews, which often have flavour added to them.

If you want to be mean bonk the rabbit on the nose with the carrot(works best with peels) until the rabbit eats it fromirritation. When my first bun Oreo (RiP) was sick, I wouldalso put carrot in the corner of her mouth to "trick" her into eating.

If your bunny is refusing to eat things like hard veggies, hay,pellets, maybe you should visit your vet and see if there are any otherproblems. Other members will know more about this than me :)

Our rabbit is a carrot-a-holic so could eat them all day if we let her.

We've tried other vegies with her that she's turned her nose up to. Butwe've kept giving them to her and cutting out her favourite foods. Intime she's started eating them and now loves them. I say be persistentand don't give in to your bunny.Don't give her her favourite foods andjust keep giving her a carrot each day - i reckon she'll eventually eatit.

Good luck.:D

Thanks for thebrilliant suggestions. I'll give them a try and see if she'llcatch on. I do believe she's spoiled rotten so I guess it'stime to pull rank and show her who's boss. The apple juice inher hay is a good idea. The vet's checked her out and saysshe seems healthy. I appreciate the ideas and I'll let youknow how it goes. : )

Latest posts

Back