Wondering about Luna & Patrick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LuvaBun wrote:
I think you are right not to put them through any unnecessary procedures, considering how well they are all doing :)

And the Forum would be a sorry place, without our little round fluffball, Zappa :D

Jan

Thanks Jan for understanding. I know you went through so much with Pernod. We were all pulling for the both of you and sending lot's of prayers every time she had to go back to the vet. She tried to be so brave for you....

Patrick is doing well as he is. He still eats, even without all of his teeth, rests comfortably, and takes care of his girls. I don't know what I'll do if the abscess gets bigger or ruptures. I wouldn't mind having it removed, but I just wouldn't want something to happen to Patrick if he didn't bounce back from the surgery. If he were around five, I don't think I would hesitate. But I think that seven years of age and being a senior bun are stacking the odds for something to go wrong. I'll try to talk with Dr. Travis more at the next appointment... Perhaps I could bring up the Pen G suggestion from tonyshuman.

myheart

If it's encapsulated, wouldn't that make it an easier surgery? I'm thinking from a person's biology standpoint, here. Encapsulated ones don't spread when removed (whereas non-encapsulated ones could spread post-removal) I believe. I see where you are coming from with not wanting to put him through unnecessary procedures, though. (We had a dog with cancer that we chose not to treat because of her age. We let her go as long as possible (comfortably) before we let her go.) I know where you're at. Hopefully Patch is just getting to be a lumpy old man! ;)

By the way, there were two rows of Dutchies at the State Fair when I went yesterday. I was scooting around the aisles with Will and telling him "That's what Jan's Patrick looks like! That's what Luna looks like! Hey! That one looks like Zappa... Just not as round!" :p Will was THRILLED! lol

kherrmann3 wrote:
If it's encapsulated, wouldn't that make it an easier surgery? I'm thinking from a person's biology standpoint, here. Encapsulated ones don't spread when removed (whereas non-encapsulated ones could spread post-removal) I believe. I see where you are coming from with not wanting to put him through unnecessary procedures, though. (We had a dog with cancer that we chose not to treat because of her age. We let her go as long as possible (comfortably) before we let her go.) I know where you're at. Hopefully Patch is just getting to be a lumpy old man! ;)

By the way, there were two rows of Dutchies at the State Fair when I went yesterday. I was scooting around the aisles with Will and telling him "That's what Jan's Patrick looks like! That's what Luna looks like! Hey! That one looks like Zappa... Just not as round!" :p Will was THRILLED! lol

I plan on trying to talk with Dr. Travis the next time I go in. Actually, I think I will talk with him when I take Baby Zappa in.... When I bring Patch and Luna in for dentals, I never get to see him because that is his surgery day. He must line his clients up in order of importance and gets to work.

I now know what you mean about rabbit shows. Naturestee invited me along with her to the show in Sheboygan. OMG... So many rabbits I have never seen before!!!! The one that I fell in love with the most, was a Siamese Satin (there is one pic posted in the breed library for the forum). Doe's get to be about ten pounds, very mellow, and the hair is so beautiful!!! I might start a Siamese-colored bunny train next.... :p

We also came across a woman who was selling pet-quality Dutch for seven dollars apiece. I could have just about finished Patch's harem with a Chocolate and a Black. All I would have needed would have been a Harlequin. But, Naturestee told me not to bring a kennel because of that very temptation. They were so sweet though....:D

myheart

Kelly's right that an encapsulated abscess would be easier to out-and-out remove, or to leave without worrying. However, there's still a chance that it could rupture, although it's slight, and the release of toxins into his system could be pretty serious. The fact that it's encapsulated also may make it harder for antibiotics to penetrate it. However, 2-4 weeks of sub-q injections every other day is a lot less stressful to recover from than a surgery.

What kills me at the fair is how young the bunnies are! They seem so tiny compared to big-caboose Tony. I know the junior class means they're probably 6-8 months old, but even the seniors look tiny. And when they flop out in the cages, *sigh*. I think I'll always have a dutch. There are so many breeds I want to own, but dutches are just so classically "bunny" to me, plus Tony started my whole love of rabbits!

There was a free tort dutch on craigslist, babies for $10 each that were nethie/dutch mix. It was so depressing. We see a lot of tort dutches at the shelter--I'm beginning to think they're a "thing" around here. Tony was adopted from Chicagoland, myheart has Patch and foster Andy, there was Potter at Soulmate, Presious was at DCHS for 11 months (just adopted!!), and we have another tort dutch at DCHS right now whose name I can't remember. She's very skittish, like she's been mistreated. :( Who's dumping all the torties?

tonyshuman wrote:
Kelly's right that an encapsulated abscess would be easier to out-and-out remove, or to leave without worrying. However, there's still a chance that it could rupture, although it's slight, and the release of toxins into his system could be pretty serious. The fact that it's encapsulated also may make it harder for antibiotics to penetrate it. However, 2-4 weeks of sub-q injections every other day is a lot less stressful to recover from than a surgery.

What kills me at the fair is how young the bunnies are! They seem so tiny compared to big-caboose Tony. I know the junior class means they're probably 6-8 months old, but even the seniors look tiny. And when they flop out in the cages, *sigh*. I think I'll always have a dutch. There are so many breeds I want to own, but dutches are just so classically "bunny" to me, plus Tony started my whole love of rabbits!

There was a free tort dutch on craigslist, babies for $10 each that were nethie/dutch mix. It was so depressing. We see a lot of tort dutches at the shelter--I'm beginning to think they're a "thing" around here. Tony was adopted from Chicagoland, myheart has Patch and foster Andy, there was Potter at Soulmate, Presious was at DCHS for 11 months (just adopted!!), and we have another tort dutch at DCHS right now whose name I can't remember. She's very skittish, like she's been mistreated. :( Who's dumping all the torties?
tonyshuman, they've been showing up at the local shelters in Milwaukee area too. From Petfinder browsings, Wisconsin Humane Society listed several recently.

K, Tiny Tina was ordered with the Petland supply list as I was told. [She sends her attention hog begging poses to you and Will. TT's Almost married to Potter now.]
The bunnies come in boxes when the supplies are delivered. I'm glad she's not in the situation I saw her in before I decided to purchase just ONE pet-store bunny in my lifetime. (Don't get me started on Petland and what I observed from various times being there, or PetWorld. Perhaps her saving grace was 29.99, her price tag, so she didn't go cheaply as a disposable item.)
Karla's husbun is a Petland bunny, later surrendered to the local shelter after the roommate moved out and left him behind... ... BarryBear was nasty from former experiences, and he removed a chunk of skin from my hand. With that defining moment, I knew he wouldn't survive at the shelter very long.

:rabbithop Your Dutch Trio, myheart, are so d*mn lucky.

Sending well-wishes to Patch. :hug: You are an excellent mom to seek treatment when anything seems amiss in the Train. Plus you give them so much love and care.
Eager to see more visuals as time avails. :thumbup

tonyshuman wrote:

Just wanted to do a quick update on Patrick and Luna here....

I did talk with Dr. Travis about Patrick's lump. He said that the lump should be easier to remove since it probably is encapsulated, but that depends on what it is attached to. He is still able to move it around, which means it hasn't attached to anything else. If the lump is attached to the intestines, there is no way to remove it without taking part of the intestines with it. Not a good thing because the intestine wall is paper-thin, which means it is difficult to put ends together and hope it heals with proper recovery. At Patrick's age, recovery will be more difficult aside from the anesthesia and surgery time. His recommendation is to leave it because Patrick is doing fine and giving me lots of circles in the morning. :biggrin2:

I really wanted to post about our problem-child, Luna. She never ceases to amaze me!!!!!! A couple of nights ago, I was about to put her night-time salad in her house, when I saw her do a binkie straight up in the air!!!! :biggrin2:Oh my goodness did that make me happy to see her so happy to get snacks!!! This morning, Luna was racing around waiting for breakfast berries when she came face-to-face with my boy cat Micah. Micah lifted his paw as if he was going to landa good smack on her, but Luna mustered everything she had and charged him with a head-butt!!!! :shock:I wish all of you could have seen the look on his face when Luna sent him backwards!!! LOL!!! It was so funny to see a 15lb. cat with such a look of disapproval over being attacked by a rabbit less than half his size! Sometimes I wonder if Luna remembers that she is sick.... With her behavior and attitude the way it is, she ain't goin' anywhere soon...;)

myheart

What a great story! I can just see Luna charging a cat! Those vertical binkies are the best too--they come back down and give you this look like "What? I didn't do anything! I've been here the whole time!" I think that course of treatment with Patch makes sense too--if it's not going anywhere and doesn't bug him, best to just let it be.

Hooray for spontaneous, vertical binkies! :) Way to go, Luna! I love how rabbits seem to "forget" how big they are. My 3-4 pound Toby scared the heck out of my mum's 12-15 pound terrier by bapping him on the nose with some furious, flying bunny paws! They seem to think they are much higher up on the food chain sometimes...

I have a bunch of pics of my trio that I am finally ready to post!!!! I took these on the 31st of August, which was the last Monday I had to play with the kids before going back to my evening job. The weather was perfect and the kids had somuch fun!!! :D

I set up theexercise pens, brought the bunners out, and then gave them a surprise toy!! I found one of those infant/toddler activity things at the curb-side, and my first thought was, "Bunny toy for grabs!!!!" I drove around the block and snapped it up fast. I was so happy with the new find.... The only thing I noticed, though, is that when a circular object is introduced to the trio, I get circular formations. No more Dutch-trains.... :( Oh well, I guess a bunny-cluster can be just as much fun. ;)

Time for pics!!!! :biggrin2:

Baby Zappa checking out the new toy. Patrick is already inside... see him through the fish water panel?

P8311347.jpg

Patrick answering the door... :p

P8311348.jpg

Patrick admiring himself in the mirror....:dude:

P8311349.jpg

"What?!! I can't help being so handsome!"

P8311350.jpg

Zappa's turn to admire herself...

P8311351.jpg

Patch and Zappa telling Luna thatthenew toy isa bunch o' fun...

P8311352.jpg

Luna is still warming up to the idea of a new toy...

P8311356.jpg

"Come on, Luna!!! It's fun!!!"

P8311357.jpg

"Luna!!! Come on!!!!"

P8311358.jpg

Zappa decided to have another talk with Luna....

P8311359.jpg

P8311360.jpg

I think I better split the pics up a bit. I didn't realize I had taken that many!!! :biggrin2: Kids and their new toys!!!! Perfect photo op!!!

myheart

Patrick and Zappa hanging out....

P8311361.jpg

P8311362.jpg

P8311363.jpg

P8311364.jpg

P8311365.jpg

At last... Luna tushie closing in on the fun.... :D

P8311366.jpg

My trio... (with Luna still looking the situation over)

P8311368.jpg

P8311369.jpg

....more to come.... :biggrin2:

myheart

Luna's turn... :p

P8311370.jpg

P8311371.jpg

Luna's turn to admire herself, at last.... ;)

P8311376.jpg

"Enough with the picture taking, Mom!!!"

P8311377.jpg

"Whew, so much work having an adventure..."

P8311379.jpg

Patrick giving Luna some cuddles and encouragement.:bunnyhug:

P8311383.jpg

P8311385.jpg

Okay... This is where another "Zappa moment" happened!! So you are gonna have to wait for those pics to get posted in Zappa's blog. (he-he)
....just a few more pics... :D

myhert

As I said, when a circular object is introduced to my trio, I get circular-bunny-clusters instead of a train. :p

P8311392.jpg

P8311393.jpg

P8311394.jpg

Luna enjoying herself.... or.... is she disapproving of all of the picture-taking...:p

P8311398.jpg

Time to browse for grass-snacks...

P8311400.jpg

The girls are getting sleepy....:p

P8311407.jpg

...but Patrick needs a bit more sunshine and a few more digs in the lawn. :D

P8311408.jpg

P8311409.jpg

Just look at my handsome little man...er...guy-bunny.... :D

P8311410.jpg

Finally, every-bun is sleepy and ready to go in....

P8311411.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed the pics of my trio's adventure outside. It has been such a while since they were out last, that I think this was extra special to them, aside from getting a new toy.

Luna hasn't been feeling well these last few days. I am going to try to get them out again tomorrow, if the weather permits. Maybe the fresh air, exercise, and grass will do her some good. Keep you posted on new pics....

myheart & Luna, Patrick, and Baby Zappa :biggrin2:

What a terrific bunny mom you are to your kids! Toys :)!
Loved the photos and seeing the trio,

I would have never thought to give bunnies that kind of toy! Duh! They look like they had a blast! There's something about a herd of Dutchies that just makes me smile. :) Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Thanks TreasuredFriend and Kelly.... They had a blast with their new play area. It kept them entertained for quite some time, and I was able to get some great pics. The toy was one of the best curb-side finds that I have ever had. :D

I just wanted to post a few more pics of my trio.... Luna has been having a few difficult days. I think she was passing more stones, but can't be certain about it. I know the doctor said that when the renal failure happens, it happens and there is nothing to do. I leaves me very frustrated and not knowing what to do for her. :(I tried the bene-bac, the pineapple juice, and more fluids. I think they all did what they were supposed to do because I woke up to my little ray of sunshine, Luna, waiting for me to open the exercise pen so she could raid Patrick's left-over greens. :D That made me so happy!!! I really didn't expect her to make it through the night.... Shows me that she is one tough little girl who won't be leaving Patrick, Zappa, or myself anytime soon.

So, here are a few pics of the kids relaxing after morning berry-time....

I just love Dutch nosies all lined up in a row.... makes me want to smooch each one in turn. :p

P9091412.jpg

P9091413.jpg

P9091414.jpg

Mmmmm..... Smooch da bunnies...:hearts:

P9091415.jpg

I came back a bit later to find Patrick and Luna all melted with each other. Ahhhh.. True Love.... :p

P9091416.jpg

P9091417.jpg

P9091418.jpg

Awe... My little ray of sunshine, my little blue Dutch.....

myheart

Such sweet bunny noses! How has Luna been acting to let you know that she's not feeling well?

Latest posts

Back