Wondering about Beet Pulp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, everybody missed this, so sorry!

This is a Pam question, but I do believe beet pulp is a common ingredient in pellets. From what I've read, it's sugary and provides calories and some fiber. (Obviously notfor overweight rabbits). And that it's considered highly digestible energy.

Here's a bit from a study that seems to put it above other feed substances like like wheat bran andsoybean hulls:

Substituting basal diet by 20%, with sugar beet pult, resulted in a significantincrease of crude fibre and cell wall content (NDF, ADF, cellulose and hemicellulose) digestibility, while gross energy digestibility was not affected.

As for 'conditioning', I see it recommended, but I'd wait for answers from our breeding and showing contingent.

sas:bunnydance:

Beet pulp is an ingredient in many brands of rabbit pellets and is added as a source of both energy and protein.

Adding beet pulp to the rabbit's diet would also increase overall protein intake. If the rabbit is on a good quality pellet, adding another protein sourcewould increase protein to undesirable levels and actually result in poor "over finished" flesh and fur condition.

Pam

Latest posts

Back