Wisconsin State Fair Bunnies! (and poultry)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Here are some pictures from the Wisconsin State Fair. I went there today (opening day!) and got to run up and down the aisles of bunnies going "EEE!" with Will in tow. He was less enthusiastic about the whole ordeal. Honestly, I think I found his very own third circle of Hell in the middle of the rabbit/poultry barn. He just had "the look" on his face. Oh, well. He got to see some of his Tan rabbits that he likes so much. I'll shut up now, and on to the pictures! *squee!*

Seriously, there are a lot of pictures...

Flemmies! (now with bonus Flemmie 'tocks!)
1006856.jpg

1006855.jpg

1006933.jpg

1006934.jpg

1006935.jpg

I don't remember this breed specifically, but it was under the Satins (a Satin, maybe?)...
1006857.jpg

Satins (I've never pet one of these before... Oh, my! So soft!)
1006910i.jpg

1006913.jpg

1006911.jpg

Britannia Petites
1006860s.jpg

1006904a.jpg

Nethies (They are so TINY when you see the "proper" ones!)
Mr. Crankipants
1006897.jpg

This buck's eyes were seriously bugging out of his head. He just had those big, googly eyes!
1006901t.jpg

1006944w.jpg

1006945.jpg

Polish Dwarfs
Super Disapproval
1006892.jpg

1006940.jpg

1006941.jpg

1006942.jpg

Tans
1006862.jpg

1006865.jpg

1006866.jpg

1006868p.jpg

Somebun was cranky...
1006864y.jpg

Sleepy Californian buns...
1006870.jpg

1006877r.jpg

Holland Lops (don't you just want to "beep" their noses?)
1006871.jpg

1006872.jpg

1006885.jpg

1006887w.jpg

1006889q.jpg

1006926.jpg

1006928.jpg

Mini-Lop
1006920t.jpg

French Lops
Dewlap Dunking!
1006894d.jpg

1006902.jpg

1006932.jpg

I dub thee, Mr. McGrumpypants!
1006937j.jpg

Champagne'd'argent
1006875.jpg

Jersey Wooly puffballs...
1006878.jpg

1006882x.jpg

1006909.jpg

The lone English Lop doe...
1006884.jpg

1006916y.jpg

1006915.jpg

Rhinelanders
1006906o.jpg

1006907q.jpg

Rexes
1006931c.jpg

1006947.jpg

1006956.jpg

Mini-Rexes
This one has Mickey Mouse ears on her side!
1006880.jpg

1006914.jpg

1006917t.jpg

1006918.jpg

Dutchies (There were two full aisles of Dutchies! So many little tuxedo buns!)
1006922s.jpg

1006924.jpg

One very freaked-out New Zealand
1006930.jpg

I don't remember this one's breed. May have been by the Silver Martens?
1006957.jpg

OMG! OMG! Dewlappy French lops! SOOO CUTE!

I want to cuddle all those smooshy faces and noses.. *sigh*... so many sweet, adorable bunnies, so little time for nose rubs.

Will kept yelling at me for petting bunny noses. I got bunny kisses from two different bunnies! They were quick little slurps, but I'll take them! I came home and Toby attacked my pants after I took them off.

Oooo ooo! I sent you a PM before I saw you had a thread on this. Only one E-lop? :( I do love the Tans and Rhinelanders though--so different!

Yeah, there were only three Tans there, but that's still more than I've ever seen! The only one I had seen before that was at Julie's house!

They had a good variety of breeds. Here's the ones that I can remember:
- Flemish Giants
- Holland, Mini, French, and English Lops
- Netherland Dwarf, Polish Dwarf, Britannia Petites
- Champagne'd'argent & Creme'd'argent
- Satins
- Mini-Rex & Standard Rex (lots of them!)
- Dutch (their own little hoard)
- Rhinelanders
- New Zealands & Californians (& "meat rabbits" :()
- Jersey Woolies & American Fuzzy Lops
- Silver Martens & Tans
- Havanas

That's all that I can think of, but there were probably more breeds there. There was only one E-Lop. :( She was pretty, though. No Angora breeds yet, whatsoever. No English Spot or Checkered Giants, either. Being that it was only Day 1, the bunnies will probably change over the next week or so.

On a side note, Will and I were talking about rabbits with each other while looking at the Nethies, and a lady came up and asked about rabbits. Then, while we were talking to her, a man came up and started asking a bunch of questions, too! They BOTH thought we were there showing rabbits! We laughed and told them no, but that we have bunnies at home and what wonderful pets they make. I also talked to them about getting their bunnies at shelters. The man was impressed! lol

THIS is why we need business cards for the forum! hehe :) Sounds like a fun time. I always get stuck in the bunny barn at our fairs, too!

Well that was weird!! I didn't just type that! This is what I typed:

OMG

EDIT.
Okay it's not working! :? Lets try again...

OMG I so want to go and see them all!

You know... one time I went to a fair and was looking around and I helped a girl and her mom cut one of their rabbit's nails because they didn't really know how... it was odd.

Okay I know what was wrong! I had a greater/lesser than symbol in their and a 3 to make a heart. :p weird it didn't work!

Could a mod please delete those other two posts please?

i was doing so well until i got to the pics of the tans..:faint:i know somebun else with a similar attitude.

great pics and thank you for sharing. my equivalent show dont like people taking pics inside the show pens.:rollseyes

kherrmann3 wrote:
Satins (I've never pet one of these before... Oh, my! So soft!)
1006910i.jpg

1006913.jpg

1006911.jpg

Kirby is a Satin mix. :biggrin2:

:thanks:Oh my GOD! This is so awesome!!! So many pix, thanks so much for posting them, Kelly!I have never ever been to a state fair. :balloons:Why are there so man bunners and poultry there? :duck:Aw, so many disapproving bunnies :D I love them all.

hartleybun wrote:
great pics and thank you for sharing. my equivalent show dont like people taking pics inside the show pens.:rollseyes
Actually, I was taking pictures from outside the cages. I have a "macro" setting on my camera, so there is no flash, and it is meant to take pictures of really close subjects. So, no flash, but lots of detail. My camera lens was the perfect size to go between the bars (not sticking the camera in, just moving it up to the bars to keep them out of view). It worked perfectly in the lighting they had there.

kirbyultra wrote:
Why are there so man bunners and poultry there?
They have the 4-H shows and just bunny shows in general there every year. I'm pretty sure it's so breeders can come get new stock, or show their existing ones. Our State Fair is basically like the "Super Bowl" of livestock breeds. All of the animals there are the winners (or highly placed) ones from the County Fairs, from my understanding. They have Clydesdale horses, all sorts of dairy cows (mostly Holstein, Guernsey, Jersey, & Ayrshire), swine, goats, sheep, poultry (which includes chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese), and rabbits. I understand how poultry fits in, but never really understood rabbits. I won't complain, though. ;)

Ugh, you just had to post the cute pictures. I live about 10 minutes from State Fair grounds and have never actually gone to it. I have been debating going this year, but couldn't find a good reason... well now I have one. I may have to make a trip down to see the bunnies.

I showed rabbits for 11 years through 4-H (Wisconsin Valley Fair in Wausau) when I was younger. Rabbit showing was at one time actually one of the biggest exhibits at the local fair. My 4-H club alone would bring about 70 rabbits each year. Despite this, I couldn't give you a good reason why rabbits fit in. I am just glad they did, because the only other animal I had growing up to show at the fair was a gerbil (and yes I did show her one year).

Well, you won't like the reason they show rabbits (and not cats or dogs): it's because they're livestock. 4-H has different rules and does pet competitions, like pocket pets, and dog and cat training. They also have a pet rabbit class you can show pet bunnies in, but the other bunnies are considered livestock because of the past role of the rabbit on the farm. That's why there are still some called meat breeds, as well.

Latest posts

Back