Will Star Die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke with the vet. She saysStar is better, but just nervous with all of the commotion and being ina different place. The vet thinks she had a sour stomachpossibly due to the meds, either that or she had a major parasitefall-out reacting to the meds. I am supposed to call back inan hour and a half to check, and hopefully will bring her home tonight.

Sidenote, I swear Shorty seemed SO bummed she was gone when I left forwork. I believe rabbits are so smart, loyalandloving. Is he missing her, or is it just my sympathy orimagination?

pamnock wrote:
Ijust re-read the post -- did you give them each 1 fullcc???????????? That's 10 times the recommended dose for asmall rabbit. The correct dosage is 1/10 of a cc per every 5lbs. of body weight. If this overdose isthevet's fault, I would certainly hold them responsible fortreatment.

Pam

OH MY GAWD!! They gave me 1cc of Ivermectin mixed withpropylene. The vet described the mixture as syrupy andsweet. But, she did say it was Ivermectin mixed withpropylene. They each got 1 cc of the mixture. I amso scared now! Almost all of the symptoms you mentioned, Pamwere present in Star :( what will happen to her?Just talked to the vet and she said she seems ok...??!!!

pamnock wrote:
Kricket,

What color/breed is Star? (wanted to note if certain colors are more sensitive).

I feel so bad because I told you to take them to the vet for the flea/tick treatments :(

Pam

Star is a black and white Dutch. I saw the ticks in her whitefur on her nose. Same with Shorty. They are brotherand sister. He is fine. He was so sweet when he waslaying with her. Like he was consoling her. She wasall out of sorts :(

If most of it was glycol, then that'sfine. It's much easier thoughto simply squirt the1/10 of a cc in their mouth than 1 cc of the mixture.

Rabbits with the genetic deletion can have a reaction to the medicationeven at the recommended dose. However, there is no way todetermine if a rabbit will be sensitive to the medication.

If she's at the vet and on an IV, that's all that can be done fornow. We'll all pray for recovery, but it can take up to 3days.

Please, Please keep us updated.

Pam

Hey Pam, how soon after the meds areadministered will the animal react? If they have asensitivity to it? (Sorry for all of the replies)

Yes, please keep us updated, and we'll do our part in sending prayers and healthy thoughts to all of you.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Kricket wrote:

Star is a black and white Dutch. I saw the ticks in her whitefur on her nose. Same with Shorty. They are brotherand sister. He is fine. He was so sweet when he waslaying with her. Like he was consoling her. She wasall out of sorts :(

Buck's rabbit that had a reaction was also a Dutch, so I wouldrecommend caution in using Ivomec with any Dutch or breeds that havethe Dutch gene (Dwarf Hotots and standard Hotots).Not allDutch, Dwarf Hotots orstandardHototswill inherit the gene that is the source of theproblem, andwe certainly don't have evidence that thedistribution of the gene is limited only to certain gene pools of justthose breeds.

Pam

okay so im not tryingto take this off topic, but since it is already knowledge that any kindof blue have a rxn and that any dutch, hotot (and importantly notedcollies,Shetland sheepdogs, Australian shepards andOld English Sheepdogsalso have this sensitivity)canhave a sensitivity to this drug why is it administered at all to them?I know i am very new to this, but is there no other options? i cantbelieve that there isnt..and what exactly is the mechanism of thesensitivity? is it atoxicity to an actual ingredient thatisresposible for ivermectin's effectiveness...or is itsomething trivial like the suspension they have it in...or does no oneno? sorry the geek just comes out in me on subjects like this...andifanyone could send me links to topics or research papers onthisi would love to read over them!

I hope Star is doing okay and i will continue praying for her recovery!

*Any* drug can cause reactions in certainindividuals. Every single flea/tick medication on the markethas had toxicity effects on some animals. This is theexception, certainly not the rule. I've been using Ivermectinon horses, dogs, cats and rabbits for many years and never had anincident.

We can't say for certain that the blue gene has any relation to theproblem. It seems to be more related to certain *coatpattern* genes, such as Dutch and Merle rather than color genes such asblue.

Pam

I treated my Checkers with Ivermectin 1/10 ccadministered subqutaniously with a syringe (3 doses 10 days apart tomake sure all the fur mites and their hatching eggs are killed)
My good friend who is a vet (but lives far far away, unfortunately) told me what to do talked me through this.
Checkers had active fur mites. Nick, who lived with her, did not havethem, but she told me to give him 1cc ORALLYbecause he most likely would come down with them. Giving itsub-q makes it work quicker - and poor Check was quite miserable withthe little varmits.
So giving 1cc orally is the recommended dose for buns under 10lbs - Ithink that was the wt limit... The vet said more of it wasneeded if given orally, because it had to travel all through theirsystem before it got to their skin. It made sence to me...
The Ivermectin I got (recommended by the vet) was for cattle and swine.I would have to find it and look at the ingredients to see if anythingwas mixed in with it. It came in a sterile 30cc vial.
Checkers got almost immediate relief from it - that's all I know. Aftergiving them both the 1st dose of Ivermectin, I had to disinfect alltheir toys, linen, cage, dishes, and the rug in their play area to killany mites that might be lurking on them. Nick never did getthem :D and Checkie never had them again.

Just spoke with the vet again and Star is readyto come home!! YEAH!! Vet says she is eating,drinking, pooping and peeing!!! And she is active and alertnow!! Now I just have 30 more minutes at work!!!Can't wait to go get my baby! Thank you all SO much for yourencouragement and kind words, and of course, thanks for all of theinformation. Pam you are great! I copied all of theinfo on Ivermectin and I am going to make a copy for the vet.Thanks so much! It is amazing what a difference a few hourscan make! Thank you all!!

Ivermectin 1% injectable isoften givenorally, usually at higher dosage due to a degree of inactivation of thedrug by digestive juices. By injection, for mites, therecommended dosage is 400 mcg/kg, this 0.018 cc/lb of the 1% solutionsold for cattle and swine (10# rabbit would get 0.18cc) given by SQinjection, given orally the same solution isgiven at0.10cc/lb (10# rabbit would get 1cc straight Ivermectin). It isrecommended to repeat the dosage once in 10-1 days to deal with anyhatching mites.

Over-dosage with Ivermectin is rare, doses more than double therecommended dosage have been reported safe in the target animals(cattle and swine). For ease of dosing several rabbits at the sametime, when 1 has mites I treat all 200, I use a standard dosage scale:

<5#-0.10cc

5-10- 0.20cc

.10#-0.30cc

I always give it SQ, it's easiest and quickest for me. Given IM it cancause pain and irritation of the tissue. Ivermectin can also be usedtopically, applied between shoulder blades it will be readily absorbedthru the skin. While toxic reactions to Ivermectin are quite rare inrabbits some have reportedly shown some sensitivity to the drug butusually always recover. I wonder just how much Ivermectin was added tothe glycol to make that 1cc mixture. Friends giving injectable by mouthusually just squirt the medication straight, unmixed, into the rabbit'smouth. This treatment often recommended for Wry Neck due to E cuniculi.

Thank you, Teachers!

:highfive:

I'm glad our baby is on the mend, Kricket. That was too close for comfort with both of your little ones now.

Here's hoping for Peaceful Times Ahead to all. :pray:

-Carolyn

Thanks for the info! I'm so leery of giving Ivermectin orally or injectable now after these reactions.

I'm so glad Star is on the mend!!!

Jen

Pam: I'm really curious now. I have ablue mini rex, would she be a great risk if treated withivermec? I was going to treat everyone, but now I'm not sureI want to. How common is a relapse?

Jen

Hi Jen,

From what I've read, if a relapse is going to occur, it will occur within 3 days of treatment.

As I mentioned in a previous post: "We can't say for certain that theblue gene has any relation to the problem. It seems to bemore related to certain *coat pattern* genes, such as Dutch and Merlerather than color genes such as blue."

Pam

Latest posts

Back