Will Star Die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
This is going to sound terrible. I will (try) to make a long story short. Went to the vet yesterday to getShortyand Star some sort of tick treatment. The doctor sold me 1cc (each) of Ivermectin 1% injection - propylene. It is given by the mouth. I gave the buns their meds last night before playtime. They were fine. Bedtime - they got two cheerios. I was up by 4am. They seemed fine. Gave them breakfast by 4:30am. They ate. I went to work. Came home at 9:45am. It was playtime and Star was clearly sick. Ears down. Curled up in a ball.Kind of wobbly. She had a greenish fishy smelling discharge around her mouth. Her eyes looked ok. She tried to get to her favorite spot by the vent for a cool breeze and when she tried to hop, it looked more like a walk. She was clearly not well. It took me about 3 minutes to KNOW she was sick. Phoned the vet and she wanted me to take her in and leave her for most of the day.

I (of course) am SO worried my little funny bunny might die:(. I am wondering if it was the medication that made her fall ill...? If it was the meds, why didn'tShorty get sick?

I am very, VERY short on cash. My mom gave me $50. I have $87.00, so I think the bill will be covered. This will sound awful, but will they charge me if she dies? The tears just started again when I typed that. I've been preparing myself all day for the worst and hoping for the best. Is Star going to die? I will miss her SO, SO much. Shorty will miss his sister too. He already misses her. He didn't eat his greens this afternoon. I sat by their cage and cried before I had to be at work. Sorry this is so long.

ooo kricket!! I am sorry! ..if it is somethingurgent that is expensive, you can speak to the office manager of yourvets office to see if they will let you have a payment plan. ....i hopeStar is okay and nothing happens....she is with the vet right now andcouldnt be at a better place to get treated. they are going to takecare of her and do what she needs done to make her better. I hopeeverything turns out okay!!!!!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Oh, my goodness! I hope she pulls through! Iremember someone mentioning that Buck lost one of his babies (was it ablue-eyed dutch????) to an ivermecting allergy.

PLEASE pull through, Star!

:rose:

It could be a reaction to the medicine and likepeople they also will only affect one and not others. I don'tknow about the discharge from the mouth unless it is stuff that hadbuilt up in her mouth.

Ed

Thanks you all. Brought tears to myeyes. I adore all of you for your love for animals and yourability to care for people.

Hugs! K

Please keep us posted...as FreddysMommentioned..talk to them about a pmt plan...I'm still paying off all ofCorky's treatements/surgeries!!! My vet was WONDERFUL aboutthat whole thing......

another option is the bill is too much you, andif you have the time to spare..is offer to work it off at thevet's office. i know its not the best job.. butmostplacesalways need someone to clean cages and stuff likethat....ive def. got my fingers crossed for you n Star!!!!!!!!:heart::star:

Oh no not Star !!!

I'm sending good thoughts and keeping you and Star in myprayers. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for anupdated on how it goes with Star.
:pray::hug:

OH Kricket Iam so sorry , The Vetshould be giving her benidryllinjections to counter the Ivermectin, sounds like she is reacting ,poor baby .

As for charging aftera death some dosome dont , it mostly depends on thesympothy of the Vet. :ets hope heis Very sympothetic. , Youpoor girl you have been thru hell latelyits time GOOD cameyour way ! sending positiveVibes and positive Prayers toyou and Star! .

Dearest Kricket,

I'm so sorry to learn about Star. I so wish I had a definite answer foryou, Dear Friend, but unfortunately, I don't. The first thing thatcomes to mind is a reaction to the Ivermectin, which charcoal has beenknown to help if gotten into the rabbit's system quickly after thedosage was given. That has been known to help with overdoses ofIvermectin if the rabbit has a sensitivity to it.

The only other thing I wonder about at the moment is if the tick had Lyme Disease. You might ask the vet about antibiotics.

As Gypsy said, when it comes to the bill, some vets will work with you.Don't go there yet. Right now, one upset and worry at a time is morethan you need to think about.

Prayers are being said for you, Star, and Shorty.

:pray:

-Carolyn

gypsy wrote:
OH Kricket I amso sorry , The Vetshould be giving her benidryllinjections to counter the Ivermectin,

The reaction isn't an allergic reaction, so benadryl or an epi won'thelp. The toxicityreaction (if that'swhat happened) is due to a genetic deletion mutation that allows themedication to cross the blood/brain barrier. The benadryl orepi will only help in situations where a hisamine(allergic)reaction needs to be controlled.

Recommended supportive care is to put the rabbit on an IV to keepfluids and electrolytes up. A respirator is used for thosesuffering respiratory depression.

Signs of Ivomec toxicity:

[*] Dilated pupils

[*] Depression

[*] Drooling

[*] Vomiting

[*] Tremors

[*] Disorientation

[*] Weakness

[*] Recumbency (inability to rise)

[*] Blindness

[*] Nonresponsiveness

[*] Slow heart rate

[*] Slow respiratory rate

[*] Coma or death

I just re-read the post -- did you give themeach 1 full cc???????????? That's 10 times the recommendeddose for a small rabbit. The correct dosage is 1/10 of a ccper every 5 lbs. of body weight. If thisoverdose is thevet's fault, I would certainly hold themresponsible for treatment.

Pam

OMG!! Ok, first I'm so sorry for thissituation you are in. This is awful! I will bepraying for Star.

Unfortunately, they will charge you if she passes. I've hadthat experience. Most vets will work with you to makepayments. I hate to bring this up, but why did your vet givean injectable orally? I've given the injectable by drops inthe ears as treatment for mites, but never orally. I think Iwould have a bunch of questions for your vet.

Jen

pamnock wrote:
Jen,

The injectable Ivomec is commonly given orally in rabbits.

Pam
REALLY??? That sounds so strange to me! Do you knowwhy it's ok to give orally to rabbits and not other animals?On the bottle it warns that it's not to be injested...at least thebottle I have here at work says that and we just got it in a couple ofweeks ago, so it's not an older bottle. Are there differentkinds?

Jen

Ivermectin is commonly given orally to horses,dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, etc.and is, in fact, evengiven to humans orally.

Many meds. commonly carry warnings not to ingest them.

Pam

Kricket,

What color/breed is Star?(wanted to note if certain colors are more sensitive).

I feel so bad because I told you to take them to the vet for the flea/tick treatments :(

Pam

:sad: Tsk, oh Kricket. You poor thing!

I've known vets who didn't charge if something like this happened and they lost the animal.

Of course, my thoughts and prayers are focused on you and Star right now.

:pray: :star:

-Carolyn

pamnock wrote:
Kricket,

What color/breed is Star???(wanted to note if certain colors are more sensitive).

I feel so bad because I told you to take them to the vet for the flea/tick treatments :(

?

Pam

It wasn't you or Kricket that should feel bad for wanting to get Star'sproblems fixed. That was the correct thing to do. You both did exactlyas you should.

If what is said is true, the only fault it is is of the vet that administered the dosage.

:pray: :star: :pray:
-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back