Will my rabbit act different with me if I get another rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBun

Reaction score
I have a 12 week old mini Rex rabbit, who's as sweet as can be! And I'm planning on picking up another rabbit this week. I do not plan on introducing them and starting the bonding till they are both fixed, so they will have different cages. But my question is, if my current bunny smells the new bunny on me, will he act different? He gives me kisses all the time and it's the sweetest thing so I'm afraid he'll not like the way I smell or something. Does this happen?

He probably will. I would wash your hands after handling them to prevent the other one from attacking your hands.

Actually, your rabbit may very well change just with the onset of adulthood. Not only do hormones change behavior (which the neuter minimizes) but adult rabbits can behave very differently than they did as young ones.

That aside, I'd really encourage you to reconsider getting another rabbit at this time. The reason I say this is that it greatly decreases the chances that the two rabbits will bond. Getting two random, intact rabbits and then hoping to bond them after they are both fixed is about the least likely way to wind up with a bond.

The better way to increase your chances is to wait until your boy is neutered and has had 6-8 weeks post neuter for the hormones to dissipate fully. After that, he can meet other rabbits that are already fixed to pre-screen for potential compatibility. If you take a read at the following site, it may help put thing in a clearer light so you can get a better idea of what to expect.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
Basically, if you find a potential, already-fixed rabbit from a rescue that seems promising, you can begin the bonding process at home (after your boy is neutered). Keep in touch with the rescue and if the two just refuse to get along, the rescue typically will allow you to exchange the attempted bun with another. It is a great way to ensure you wind up with a bond.

My rabbit does not act different around my new bun she’s don’t seem to care if he’s around they aren’t bonded yet either.

My bunnies have never acted differently with other bunnies in the house and me jumping between them. My bunnies aren’t bonded with each other but are neutered.

Bunnies will act differently on how they react to other bunnies. Myself wish I could do speed dating at a rescue to find a bonded mate to my bunnies. But we don’t have those things here, so I’m going blind and hoping they will work 😅

You should wait on getting another bunny as Blue eyes told you. Your bunny will go through changes and wait after neutering. The teenage period can be quite a frustrated time with some bunnies. Myself always want just to focus on one bunny until I get another one. Just to build up the bond and train them while getting to now them.

Back