Will lavender/chamomile calm rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edikit

Reaction score
So far Nugget hasn't been too bothered by all of the fireworks going off since mid-June (😒), but it got me thinking, does lavender and/or chamomile have a calming effect on rabbits like it does humans? Would it be helpful to offer as a treat when he's stressed or scared about something (any more than any other herb/treat)?

Also, do rabbits mimic human cues like dogs do? I'm a pretty paranoid rabbit parent, and sometimes I wonder if me constantly checking on him and reacting every time a loud firework goes off is actually making things worse.

So far Nugget hasn't been too bothered by all of the fireworks going off since mid-June (😒), but it got me thinking, does lavender and/or chamomile have a calming effect on rabbits like it does humans? Would it be helpful to offer as a treat when he's stressed or scared about something (any more than any other herb/treat)?

Also, do rabbits mimic human cues like dogs do? I'm a pretty paranoid rabbit parent, and sometimes I wonder if me constantly checking on him and reacting every time a loud firework goes off is actually making things worse.
It should. I have used bach remedies which is made from flowers. You put a few drops on their nose and they lick it off. You could make the tea and add it to water.

Just making sure you aren't talking about concentrated oils.
Just making sure you aren't talking about concentrated oils.
Not sure if you are replying to me or the OP. The bach remedies are a tincture made from an alcohol or a glycerin base. Over the counter they can be marketed to pets or kids in a slightly different base, likely glycerin. I would only suggest something like this if a pet is stressed and to try other things first like petting, offering a favorite toy, snack etc. I had a cat who seemed very down. She hid in the basement and didn't want to come out, eat or drink. I had taken her to the vet and nothing was wrong. I started giving her a drop or two of the rescue remedy. Within a week or two she stopped hiding, started eating and returned to normal life. There are bach remedy practitioners who can make a batch specific to the person or pet using the product. He or she would be able to get the concentration just right. It is something to consider and look into as an option when a pet (or person) doesn't seem his or herself. It is quite affordable too.

It wasn't geared toward any one person. I just saw you mention "drops" and wanted to be sure that anyone reading this wouldn't mistake that for essential oil drops. Those are full concentration and would be harmful. Essential oils would need to be very diluted to be safe.

It sounds like the bach remedies (I'm not familiar with them) are already diluted from what you describe.

Just making sure readers don't misread this and cause any harm to their rabbits.

It wasn't geared toward any one person. I just saw you mention "drops" and wanted to be sure that anyone reading this wouldn't mistake that for essential oil drops. Those are full concentration and would be harmful. Essential oils would need to be very diluted to be safe.

It sounds like the bach remedies (I'm not familiar with them) are already diluted from what you describe.

Just making sure readers don't misread this and cause any harm to their rabbits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200705-130707_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200705-130707_Google.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5
I use just natural herbs, fresh or dried I would never buy those sprays honestly.

Yes, lavender, rosemary, chamomile, mint, lemon balm all relaxing and great for you and for your rabbit. You can sprinkle them on hay or just give a couple stems, most rabbits love them, if it's their first time they might be a bit suspicious first.

If your rabbits look depressed you can place some lavender, rosemary under their bed as well

Back