Will a six year old male rabbit breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
Hello my friend is going away for the holidays and wants me to watch her bunny, he a six year old holland lop, I have a eight month old female holland lop, I wanted to let them play together, but was worried about her getting pregnant is this possible for a 6 year old male bunny to be able to produce?

He is definitly able to. Rabbits are fertile all their life. And they are proverbial good at multiplying, especially when you don't want them to.

I'm not a fan of the concept of just letting rabbits play with each other when no bonding is considered, they don't really play like dogs do - it has a lot to do with their social instincts and can mess up things like litter training, marking etc.. And intact males quickly remember what job nature intended them to do.
There settings where "play" meets work, and can be fun, I'm thinking of those meetings with rather a lot of rabbits (all neutered of course), depends a lot on the individual characters. But putting two intact rabbits together will have the one result.

He is definitly able to. Rabbits are fertile all their life. And they are proverbial good at multiplying, especially when you don't want them to.

I'm not a fan of the concept of just letting rabbits play with each other when no bonding is considered, they don't really play like dogs do - it has a lot to do with their social instincts and can mess up things like litter training, marking etc.. And intact males quickly remember what job nature intended them to do.
There settings where "play" meets work, and can be fun, I'm thinking of those meetings with rather a lot of rabbits (all neutered of course), depends a lot on the individual characters. But putting two intact rabbits together will have the one result.
okay thanks for replying I guess I won’t let them together.

Prieitler is right. Unfortunately, rabbits who aren't used to each other don't really play together. They will smell each other and possibly chase each other around (my little kids call it "playing tag" which seems cute, but bunny tag always ends the same way and it does not take long). They can also become aggressive, if your female feels threatened in territory or body. I would say best you can do is to separate with a wire cage/wall and let them smell each other, but also keep in mind that a determined male can and will jump to get to his goal. I've seen rabbit ninja behavior come out when a hormonal buck smells a female.

Latest posts

Back