will a cage like this be ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evansrabbitranch

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Level-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-Cage-/150559508692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230e0bc8d4

I'm talking to the seller about a cage like this only it will have 3 stories instead of just two. It will have a purple flooring :biggrin:. I think the color will contrast with Chinny's silvery chinchilla color nicely. Will cost $150 for a 3 story cage like this. I'm just wondering what to use to cover the floor, I worry that as is it will be too slick. She loves to run around in and out of her cage so I do not want her to hurt herself sliding around.

I am also looking into all kinds of toys and chews and stuff for her. Recommendations are heartily welcomed. It has been a long time since I had a rabbit that was completely mine and a pet. I was taking in rabbits in need and finding them homes, then spent some time trying to breed. Neither really worked out for me. So now I am adjusting to having a full time pet rabbit. I think this forum will help alot. Thanks all!

That cage would be perfect, and plenty of room for one. In fact, you could bond your baby and still have plenty. I didn't know anyone sold these... Hm. You could make one for half the cost, but I don't think you would get the awesome colored corrugated plastic. :(

I want that floor. If my Lily didn't eat everything I would pay extra for a yellow one, and stick pink daisies on the outside.

:)

Thanks :) Actually I priced driving around from where I live to get the parts and with gas as high as it is now it would end up costing the same or more for me to make myself so it's a good deal for someone like me who lives in the boonies. Glad it is a good cage. My little girl is currently 3 months old and about 2 lbs. Her parents weighed 7 and 6 lbs, mom full grown dad still growing. Dad was a Flemish cross so she may end up good sized. Thus my looking at 3 levels for her, not to mention how active she is. I can not wait to get her cage and deck it our with toys and stuff. I just hope I do not get toys that could hurt her or something. I will ask on here before I buy anything I am unsure of.

to be honest you could ake your own for WAY cheaper.

in my mind it looks a little small... doesnt look wide enough and doesnt have enough headroom (remember your bunny needs to be able to do 3 consecutive hops and stand up and periscope!

edit: the reason i said you could make your own for much cheaper is this seller has just used NIC cubes. look around the housing section for NIC tutorials and pplaces to buy NIC cubes. (often called wire storage cubes and available at kmart and target etc)

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Yep, I gotta agree with Holly. That cage looks pretty slick, but the price tag is a bit much. I built Gus a NIC cage for about $75 including the flooring. They're really not difficult to build. (My kids helped me!)

Here's a really great step-by-step video tutorial:

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/videos

Hope that helps!

Rue

ya, i have one four or five times the size of that and paid around $100...

also in my opinion the best rabbit toys are carboard boxes and tubes that you can get for free.

old books and phone books are also fun for the rabbits.

if you wanna buy stuff,

hard plastic cat balls with bells in them (cost like 75c from our pet shop) and tiny wooden chew sticks for $2 are also good.

i've bought wooden blocks used for bird toys (off ebay) and have them hanging from the roof using a bit of shoe lace/ strewn around the floor

untreated wicker baskets/flax mats are also good for chewing on

Grapevine wreaths and willow balls (also untreated) are good too.

Gus's favourite toys:

His cardboard box "house" they boys made for him. He's actually in need of a new one as one wall is only about 3/4 the original height and it has a habit of falling over on him.

My slippers. I dunno what it is with my slippers, but he digs them, chews them, and picks them up and tosses them. He also has a thing for socks. Crazy rabbit!

His food dishes. He likes to pick them up and toss them onto the floor of his cage where they make a loud "bang" when he wants attention or food. Usually food.

His "tinkle ball" cat toy. He nudges it around with his nose and sometimes picks it up and chucks it. He seems to like chucking it right out of his cage and onto the bathroom floor when the door to his cage is open.

The plastic lid from a bottle of fabric softener. He likes to chuck that one too.

Newspapers, flyers and junk mail. He'll shred these for HOURS! He can make a real mess, but it makes him happy.

The most expensive of these toys: His .50 cent tinkle ball.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Ok so this cage sucks, lol.

Can I build my own with wood and wire? What would I use for the floors? Stick on linolium or something? There are no places that sell NIC cubes anywhere near me that I could make an NIC cage cheaper than this. Unless you know a site I can order them with FREE shipping? Exactly how big do I need to go? I have limited space and this cage WAS perfect until I showed it here and asked.

Starting to think she should just stay in what she is in now.

Went and did some research this is what I came up with:

1 box = 16 cubes

3 high, 3 wide = 9 each side = 36 just for sides

9 for floor, 9 for roof, 8 for mid level = 26 to finish

Total of 62 pannels

16 in a box so would need 3 boxes to build with left overs.

3 boxes would cost = $83.97 (27.99 each box) plus tax, plus either shipping
or gas to pickup, plus something to be the flooring inside the cage,
plus cable ties to hold it together. Would cost AT LEAST $110 for a
two story cage. I want a 3 story cage. Any ideas?

Using 3 pannels up and down for the wall I can attatch the mid level in the middle of the middle pannels will make the levels taller than the one on ebay. She would then be able to stand up without holding her ears down probably her whole life. Would have to almost double this to get the cage I want for her. I will talk with my husband and see what he thinks. Its not just up to me.

If your comfortable with that cage I would go ahead and buy it. For a 7 pound bunny it may be a little small but with three stories and plenty of run room like time out of cage. It could be fine.

I wanted to add no one was trying to say that cage is horrible they where trying to save you money. But if it saves you money to buy it I would. Also remember you can cage that cage once you buy it if you would like. Although it designed in that shape if you see another shape you like you can easily change it.

I would personally go four by two it you can. There will be enough tiles. It would measure four panels by two panel and two panels high. The cage you want to buy would have enough tiles.

I hope you understand what I am saying. Enough though the layout it 3 x 3 x 2 you can change it after you get it.

The cage will come apart and you have to put it together anyway.

Hope that helps
Kat

You can make that exact same cage for yourself for MUCH less. You might be able to buy the coroplast from a local sign company. The grids are found at Target, Shopko, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and a bunch of other places and there are instructions in the Library here and all over the web. It's pretty easy. I made one similar cage and several pens out of these grids.

If you do make this cage, I would make the 2nd floor smaller. You want more space where the rabbit will be able to stand up all the way, which is more than one grid height even for small rabbits.

Oh yeah that makes sense :) I could start with it as is and modify it later right? Oh that takes a load off for me really it does. The hardest part for me would be finding the flooring. If I get the 3 level from them I can get a box or two of cubes later and modify it to be taller on each level. Whew! I really like this cage too!

Yes, being able to modify it later makes it very convenient. The cage I made eventually got ripped in half and made into part of a pen instead.

You can call around to sign shops for coroplast (or see if you can get those big political signs after the spring elections), or check out different instructions (often called NIC cages or cube cages) for different types of flooring that are used.

Nearest sign shop that carries Cloroplast and will sell it plain is further from me than my "local" target so getting this cage to use as a start and a way to easily get the floor works out great for me. Soon as I can get to Target I can pickup more pannels to make the sections taller for her. Thank you though!

Definitely was not trying to say that cage was no good. Just that most people can build their own for cheaper. However, if that's not the case for you, then go ahead and buy it!

I do agree with naturestee, though, to make the top floor smaller. Bunnies need enough head space to stand on their hind legs. As it is currently configured, this cage doesn't allow enough space for that.

Also, wait for the NIC panels to go on sale. $27.99 for 16 panels is a bit steep. I think I paid 19.99 for the same number on sale.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks for the tip, 27.99 was the cheapest I could find, others were 34.99 and up :( When I get the cage I will see if moving a couple pannels from being floor pieces to support pieces will give her more stand up room. I'll play with the design :)

evansrabbitranch wrote:
Went and did some research this is what I came up with:

1 box = 16 cubes

3 high, 3 wide = 9 each side = 36 just for sides

9 for floor, 9 for roof, 8 for mid level = 26 to finish

Total of 62 pannels

16 in a box so would need 3 boxes to build with left overs.

3 boxes would cost = $83.97 (27.99 each box) plus tax, plus either shipping
or gas to pickup, plus something to be the flooring inside the cage,
plus cable ties to hold it together. Would cost AT LEAST $110 for a
two story cage. I want a 3 story cage. Any ideas?

Using 3 pannels up and down for the wall I can attatch the mid level in the middle of the middle pannels will make the levels taller than the one on ebay. She would then be able to stand up without holding her ears down probably her whole life.   Would have to almost double this to get the cage I want for her.  I will talk with my husband and see what he thinks. Its not just up to me.

Hun you can buy nice cubes much cheaper than that. Someone posted a link recently where an online store was selling them at around 80c per panel... So a box of 16 wouldn't be more than $16 (plus shipping) just search through the threads xx

I've been searching and searching and I can not find the link for the cheap online pannels :( If someone can help me out I would be so happy! I will keep looking though.

Latest posts

Back