will a cage like this be ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its cute but its too small. The size I expect her to get, once I have the necessary equipment in there she would not be able to lay down in there. She is a very active bun and can not have free reign. I would love it, but we can't as we rent. Honestly we are lucky we are allowed to have her at all. The landlords considered not allowing ANY pets when they bought the place from the old landlords but so many already had pets it did not seem to make sense so they charge pet rent instead. Luckily caged critters don't get charged for just ones that roam the house like our cat. So I have to have a cage for her and it needs to not be teeny. She's 2 lbs now, but is part Flemish Giant so who knows how big she will get.

If it 's a Flemish Giant cage would be very small for him. Thor is a Dutch so its perfect. For a Flemish Giant,think rabbit condo on video is best.

Well, she is a hodge podge of breeds. Her dad was a Flemish giant/New Zealand/Californian cross. Mom a New Zeland/Dutch cross. So I have no idea what to expect from her size wise. Her back feet are the widest I have seen on this young of a rabbit, but her ears are more like a dutch's I think. I really have no idea how big she will get.

evansrabbitranch wrote:
Well, she is a hodge podge of breeds. Her dad was a Flemish giant/New Zealand/Californian cross. Mom a New Zeland/Dutch cross. So I have no idea what to expect from her size wise. Her back feet are the widest I have seen on this young of a rabbit, but her ears are more like a dutch's I think. I really have no idea how big she will get.

oh lawd shes going to be huge. i seriously reccomend making a huge bunny condo (even if it means paying a bit more) rather than buying a too small hutch and having to throw it away :(

I'm finding components towards a cage all over the net and will buy and piece together here at home lol. I will pay the shipping and try for free or reduced where ever possible lol. Much better than driving all over to get stuff. Thank you for all the help! Once I get stuff together for building the cages I will probably ask for advice. And yes I said cages, I found out someone lost their power in the snow storms and is desperately seeking a place for their French Angora to go. I pick it up in the AM. Not sure if it is permanent yet, will know tomorrow.

I am actually considering it, I would just need to get one of those plastic carpet pads folks use for computer chairs on carpet, because our whole place is carpeted and Chinny has shown a liking for peeing on carpet if I don't watch her. Now I have a French Angora to care for too! He was in need of a home due to weather issues and he is here now adjusting to being warm again. I have him in a room with a window to keep him from getting too hot. I plan to clip down his belly wool to help keep him clean easier, will trim his nails and treat for ear mites to be safe as they had had issues before. Other than that he looks good, no snot, no sneezing, just needs a good brushing. Will get pics soon.

Just found out my local feed shop offers cage wire for a really good price by the foot. I also found corregated (sp?) plastic sheets locally, I'm told its not quite the same as coroplast. These with some Jclips or cable ties should give me a good start on a couple of nice cages for my pair. If I get my money tomorrow I will have stuff to make a couple of cages by nightfall.

Sounds good to me. Just make sure your second level is well supported if you use one. (I use wood dowels in my cage). For my flooring I use sheets of wallboard I got at home depot. They came in 5' by 8' sheets I think and are made to cover walls in a bathroom. They're a little textured, but also plastic so it's easy to wipe up.

With a pen, or even a cage, you'll want to keep an eye out for possible spraying, especially if they aren't sterilized. You could always tarp up the sides from the exterior if necessary. Might not be too too pretty but it'll keep carpet and furniture safer.

When I rehomed Smores with my sister-in-law, I had her do it because he wasn't yet neutered and he was right beside her couch.She's taken it down since his neuter.:)

When I built my cages, I also put in a border using that basic rubber band that people use as baseboards... I don't know if I am making sense... Ah this:

http://pro-fix.net/photogallery/PICT0018.JPG

It's easy to attach with cable ties and kept a lot of the poop and pee from flying out. The only thing is you need to be careful with them chewing it so I applied it on the exterior and if using wire, just check that they can't chew it from the inside as well. :)

Just a few suggestions in case it can help anything. Best of luck with your cage! :biggrin:

I spent the last day going to about 8 different stores and got so mad at how things went I ended up just getting 2 x-pens and 2 carpet guard mats, the mats are those plastic ones people usually put under their computer chair to protect the carpet from indents and to make it easier to move the chair around. I got 4 large litter pans that take up half the space, will shrink down the litter pans as they do better with them. I got dishes that attach to the bars of the pens so they can not be thrown, and each rabbit a rope toy to toss around. I duct taped the mat to the floor then the pen to the mat so its stable. I setup Chinny first since she was here first. I have to do some furniture moving before I can set up Blue Dragon's pen. Yeah that is the FA's name, Blue Dragon. The people I got him from swore he is a blue point but I am now being told by some good rabbit folks that he is smoke pearl. Eh, he's cute and as a bonus I get some wool to play with! Will get pics soon!

Latest posts

Back