Wild Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From watching the ones in my yard grow up and move on, these guys are not old enough yet. From the pictures, I would say they would be about twice that size. Right now they still need each other and are too young to start out on their own. They need to be able to fend for themselves.

ed

Aly, if I were you I'd take the baby food out, and just give them grass, dandelions and clover instead.
Keep the hay and water. Please read Randy's posts again, and the info on the DFW wildlife page. (http://www.dfwwildlife.org/cottontail.html).

They are NOT domestics, they do not eat the same foods.
When we first found Hazel as a baby (yes, she is one of those few cottontails that are happy domestics) we fed her mainly greens, the same that she would have had in the wild.
Only later, when she was adjusted more, she got also veggies and some pellets. She still lives mainly on greens. She's 6 now, and a very happy, healthy "house" cottontail :)

She is a Western Cottontail, but in our care she grew to be quite a bit bigger than the ones in the wild here. We were also lucky that she was about 3 weeks old, and already weaned. (She could not be released, because of a crushed leg. When she was healed, she was too "tame" to be released.)

Sadly, I can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to say that those little bunlets of yours are just too cute for words! I have that same hamster cage, so I know how tiny they are! :biggrin2:

First of all, kudos on calling the wildlife rescue and giving these guys a second chance!

They do look to be about the same size as a bunny I saw outside Sunday, eating grass. The mother was still around, so this baby was not totally on its own yet. But considering that they are eating solid food, it may be time to release them back.

I think the people best educated to give you advice on when to release them are Randy and TreasuredFriend, who I know have successfully rescued and released cottontails back to the wild. It sounds like the wildlife rescues around you do not want to take these guys on, so you will have to get them ready to release on your own.

Okay sorry I haven't been on sooner to give you an update. I have lost two of my kits so I am having a hard time.

Here is an update on the cottontails:
My mom and I called a different wildlife rehabber and got some good information. She specializes in cottontails so I trust her information and have been following it strictly. I stopped giving them baby food and have been feeding them a mixture of KMR, goats milk and water. They are feeding from a bowl not a bottle though. They also have alfalfa hay to chew on. I feed them twice a day and they always have access to hay and water. I still do not touch them and they are in a dark location away from lots of people.

Aly!

Bowl feeding is better since there's less of a chance of getting it into their lungs (this can happen a lot if you bottle/syringe feed). I'm sorry you lost 2 kits.

Latest posts

Back