Wild Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
About 5 minutes ago someone from my church brought two wild baby bunnies. Her husband's brother ran over their nest with a lawn mower before he realized it was there. Only 2 survived. They have their eyes open. They seem to be the same age as my baby bunnies. I don't know if I can foster them to Nessa since she already has 9 babies. The lady who brought them called the wildlife rehabilitation lady and she said that since thier eyes were open I could feed them baby food. What should I do???

Aly!:)

It is very hard to raise wild baby rabbits, I have tried with ones the neighbors have brought over that their cat had found. One I took to the vet and she stitched up a cut and thought it would make it. It died the same night.

Most people make the mistake of giving them greens too soon. That will give them
the runs and they will die. probably some milk and the baby fod would be best. The best thing would have been to put them back in the nest. The mom comes around twice a day, morning and night to feed them. I have had them in my yard that grew up on their own and rarely ever saw the mother.

ed

I wouldn't give them any oatmeal, it may be too many carbs for them (being so young, plus nothing that would be in their natural diet so it would cause problems).
You're best bet would be to see if you can find a wildlife rehabber to take them in. With how low survival rates are and how fragile they are, they would probably have a higher chance of thriving with a trained rehabber. If not, here is a link that may help you out.

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

*Just wanted to add that I would check your local laws, since even temporarily keeping wildlife can be prohibited. That's why it is always recommended to contact wildlife rehabbersthatare licensed to care for them.

Have you checked this place out?

http://www.dfwwildlife.org/It's in the Dallas area.

Hope this helped!

Is there a wildlife rehab place by you? I know where I live there is a place you can drop off baby bunnies or injured wildlife for them to rehab.

The person who brought them to me had contacted a wildlife rehabilitation person... The lady said to feed them baby food, oatmeal or wet down dandelions. Do you think I should call the people at the DFW Wildlife place?

Aly! :)

I would not feed dandelions. If you give them oatmeal rive them the old fashioned and give it dry. You might try contacting http://www.bestfriends.org/. forinfo on expert advice The mother was with them? That is kind of odd. Are you sure they are wild and not a mix of wild and domestic? You can try giving warm milk, I think powdered diluted. Keep them in a small soft place. They should be warm enough without any help ofther than stuff for a makeshift nest. Do not handle them unless you need to feed them. They don't take to being handled much until older.

ed

They are doing fine other than the fact that they have gotten out 3 times in the last two days! I will post some pictures of them when I have more time!

Aly! :)

LOL! Clover got out the first night..... she managed to squeeze through the edge of a door to a pet taxi.

They are hard to raise. I used mooshed up pellets and kitten replacer watered down a LOT with a syringe then bottle with big hole in nipple. THEN, I used a tiny tiny bit of baby food (apples and oatmeal) with some of the same mooshed up food in a flat dish. It's a delicate balance and lots of luck.

My sister inlaw ran over a nest this past weekend. She wouldn't touch them cause she figured the mom would reject them. I went back to check and one was choking from grass being wrapped around its neck so I loosened it and put the babies all together. Yesterday one was out and cold so I had a bunny in my bra. I put him back as soon as he warmed up and wiggled. Later, 2 were out..... so I had 2 bunnies in my bra. LOL! I think the mom had been there and we scared her off cause they weren't too cold and had round tummies. I think there are still 6 left. When I put this one in my bra, she (lexi said it was a girl lol) was VERY comfy and curled up to sleep - the other one was all wiggling so he got to go back to the nest! LOL! too much baby bunny tickling for me!

The kids wanted me to keep them but they are REALLY young.... barely have fur... and they have a better chance out there.

Hi,

First, make sure it is legal for you to have these animals. Most states have very strict laws governing the possession of wildlife.

Cottontails wean a lot more violently than domestics and wean much earlier. Depending onthe state of their gut, it might be necessary to manipulate the pH to mimic what happens in the wild in order to get a "ready gut". DO NOT ever give baby rabbits cow's milk of any variant including regular milk, skim,powdered or scalded milk. Baby neonates are lactose intolerant and it will kill them. They require a specially made low/trace lactose formula. Goat's milk or kitten milk replacer are totally inappropriate nutrition and will result in metabolic issues if the rabbit survives. Esbilac Puppy Powder is the best formula you can use for baby rabbits that is readily available to non-professionals. If their eyes are open....they are already eating some on their own. Tender blades of grass, dandelions (leaves, stems and flowers are all great) or clover are excellent choices. Store bought stuff.....Spring Mix. I also feed a lot of alfalfa hay....the crushed leaves. Do not offer pellets, oatmeal or baby food. Their chances of survival are quite slim even in the hands of a highly skilled rehabbers. Food such as pellets, oatmeal, baby food or high lactose and/or sugary food will result in death every time.

Remember these are wild animals. There is no mix of domestic and wild....if they are wild, the are wild. Their mentality is totally prey animal. They do not deal with being handled well....they die easily from stress of being handled. They do not make good pets. One of my volunteers has just lost a rabbit when it went thru it's "wild out"....it went crazy trying to escape and it died.

If these rabbits can't be renested, I would suggest doing the correct thing both froma legal and moral stand point....get them to a skilled rehabber that uses proper protocols. I have been doing wildlife rehab for many years and I do a lot of rabbits.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

First, make sure it is legal for you to have these animals. Most states have very strict laws governing the possession of wildlife.

Cottontails wean a lot more violently than domestics and wean much earlier. Depending onthe state of their gut, it might be necessary to manipulate the pH to mimic what happens in the wild in order to get a "ready gut". DO NOT ever give baby rabbits cow's milk of any variant including regular milk, skim,powdered or scalded milk. Baby neonates are lactose intolerant and it will kill them. They require a specially made low/trace lactose formula. Goat's milk or kitten milk replacer are totally inappropriate nutrition and will result in metabolic issues if the rabbit survives. Esbilac Puppy Powder is the best formula you can use for baby rabbits that is readily available to non-professionals. If their eyes are open....they are already eating some on their own. Tender blades of grass, dandelions (leaves, stems and flowers are all great) or clover are excellent choices. Store bought stuff.....Spring Mix. I also feed a lot of alfalfa hay....the crushed leaves. Do not offer pellets, oatmeal or baby food. Their chances of survival are quite slim even in the hands of a highly skilled rehabbers. Food such as pellets, oatmeal, baby food or high lactose and/or sugary food will result in death every time.
Although I completely trust your rehabbing information..... I have to tell you that you are wrong on this one. I have a 3 year old Cottontail to tell you otherwise. She is probably an oddball case tho...... she's definitely an oddball LOL!

However, when you say metabolic issues..... how do you mean?

Yep....you do find an occasional individual....same with rabbits, squirrels, flying squirrels and opossums....that for some reason tame out and can make an excellent pet. But it's the extreme exception and certainly not the rule. As I mentioned, one of my volunteers just had one kill itself trying to escape. I have had two wild rabbits...one cottontail and one marsh rabbit....that really seemed to enjoy being domesticated. The cottontail, DJ, learned to ring a cat toy bell at feeding time. And the marsh rabbit was an adult when she came in and seemed to sense I was trying to help her. I have a non-releasable squirrel that loves to be petted. Again, extreme exceptions. And then you have a moral issue of having a wild animal in captivity. In NC, the law states we have to euthanize any animal that does not meet the criteria for release. I have a problem with that one since it's usually not the animal's fault that it became sick or injured. My non-releasables live a very comfortable and safe life. Since they have never known anything else....it makes it easier. I just couldn't bring myself to euthanize one of my squirrels due to a dental problem that I can manage....or one of my opossums that is cross-eyed far in excess of what is usually found. They are not truly pets (but they really are) as they are being used in our educational programs with zoology and vet students.

Metabolic problems are issues usually caused by nutritional problems. In some cases it can be genetic, but primarily are caused by inappropriate nutrition. I see a lot of wildlife with Metabolic Bone Disease. The name is misleading. This condition does lead to brittle bones but can also lead to brain damage, seizures, organ failure and death. Many that raise wildlife without proper training will often feed some type of either Goat's Milk or Kitten Milk Replacer. These milks do not contain sufficient nutrition for these quickly developing animals. Combine that with the fact that most baby animals are kept inside....with no exposure to direct sunlight. Unfiltered sunlight is essential to building Vitamin D which helps with the absorbing of calcium and other nutrients. That is one of the reasons that the idea of removing calcium from a domestic rabbit doesn't really "hold water". While on the outside, the animal may appear to be healthy, internally it's not. I see lots of squirrels with fractured backs due to MBD. Many birds that are hand raised also suffer metabolic issues. Many birds require a very high protein diet....and primarily animal protein.....in large amounts. I have been doing wildlife so long that I can immediately tell if an animal has been improperly fed. Unfortunately there is still a lot of old and outdated info available on the internet that still use things like powdered milk, Karo Syrup, rice cereal, etc....and they all are inappropriate. We know by clinically correct information what these animals need and have specialized forumulas that can closely match what that species should be receiving in the wild. The professional formulas we use give us the proper amounts of the proper components....and we can raise, wean and release strong animals. We just released some huge cottontails just last night. A couple of weeks ago I released a squirrel that came to me late last summer and had severe MBD. A college student "rescued" this squirrel. She was kept totally inside and was fed Goat's Milk originally and then fed a variety of seeds and peanuts....veryunhealthy. She had no fur, no nails, no whiskers and was in severe pain. It took all winter and spring to get her to a releasable point. She had huge muscles and looked like she was on steroids when released.

We rarely see MBD in domesticated animals since they are fed fortified feeds. Vitamin D is something that is added to nearly every prepared food for all animals. If you don't have Vitamin D and phosphorus in the proper levels along with proper nutrition, MBD will be the end result. MBD is a huge concern for me when I am told someone has been feeding wildlife based on "I looked it up on the internet".

Here is a link to a squirrel site that shows the effects of improper nutrition on squirrels....and the results of an improper diet are similar in other species. I must warn everyone....some of the images on this site can be very disturbing and are graphic....but it shows just what happens when untrained people try to raise wild animals.

http://www.squirrel-rehab.org/pictures/improperdiet.html

Don't mean to rant too much here but we just took in 5 rabbits that are terribly emaciated and probably won't make it....from using evaporated milk. And I just took two squirrels that have been fed Goat's Milk and Kitten Milk since early February. I was told they would not eat solid food...but they should have already been released. Their MBD is so severe that they have no teeth. I just hate to see an animal suffer from improper care when there are trained people that will take proper care of them.

Randy

They are doing fine right now. I don't know what to do with all this contradicting info though. I have been feeding them baby food and they seem to be doing fine. Here is their set up right now...

Cottontails001.jpg

Cottontails002.jpg

Cottontails003.jpg

All I have in the cage is water, baby food, hay, and under the hay a towel. Should I put in some clovers or dandelions or something else from my garden or should I leave it like that.

Again I just want all the facts of exactally how I am taking care of them so that I can get clear information.
I have a dish of baby food in the cage which they can eat out of when they want.
I have a dish of water for them to drink from.
They have hay for bedding and eating.
I have not handled them except from when I caught them when they ran away and to put them in their cage.
They do have thier eyes open.
I am NOT bottle feeding them or giving any kind of milk.

Okay if their is anything I need to change or add please let me know.

Sorry if I sound rude I just want to be taking care of them in the best way possible.

Thank you!

Aly!:)

This thread is timed well. I have a baby cottontail that my dog found in the yard and brought to me. It has an injury that apears to be about three days old. It looks to be about the same age as the ones Dublin has, mabye a few days younger. I have made ita hay nest and I am giving it grass and dandelions. It's eating a little bit, but not alot. The problem that I have around here is that there really aren't any rehabbers that take cottontails, at least not that I have been able to find.

Yesterday one was trying to suck water off my hand. He had gotten out again. As hard as it was, I put him in with his little siblings and their tummies were nice and round...... why did he miss out?

Well, I think he got nosey and moved...... cause when I came back later, I took a little thing to feed him some water if nothing else...... but guess who then had a nice round tummy and was snuggled warm with his bros? yep that one...... I know cause he had a littler diamond.

As I looked in the nest, tho I found another one that had been dead for a couple of days I think....... I had found one with grass wrapped tightly around his neck from the mower - and I think it was just too late when I freed him.

Now there are 4 left..... I think total we lost 3 or 4. I think these will be fine and I can't say how thankful I am that I put that one baby back. I wanted to find something to feed him and my daughter kept saying "MOM! You know he's better off there in the nest.... Mama will be back..... he's not dehydrated yet........he just missed a meal!"..... she was right.......

Oh and Randy..... I wonder if that's why Clover seemed to stay even a bit smaller than most cottontails?

How large are they? They seem quite old.. one of the websites I was skimming through said they are ready to be released once they are the size of a clenched fist?

Latest posts

Back