Wild Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the deer and rabbit in Alberta aredifferent ones. I read Tanja's webpage where she describes the picturesof the deer and rabbit she photographed. They lived at the bottom of agarden in a small german village, near the wildlife park (LuneburgerHeide) where Tanja works. (That's also where she has the wolves). Thedeer was orphaned after the mother died in a carcrash. It was rescuedand bottlefed back to health. Then a local wild rabbit startedvisiting, getting ever closer to the baby deer, untill about a weeklater they seemed fully bonded, and were inseperable, even in thewinter. They ate together, slept together, and it even builds a nest inthe deer's favorite place, instead of a warren!

ishackimagevk5.jpg

Unfortunately, this story doesn't have a very happy ending for them:(.
Eventually, the deer was old enough to be caught and brought to a rehabcenter, where orphaned animals like that are tought to survive in thewild, and was later released in a nature park. The rabbit was left inthe garden, and eventually joined the nearby warren of wild rabbits,where it likely came from. Sad though, they were fully bonded andreally seemed to love eachother:sad:.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
ec,

Those rabbit/deer photos were taken by German photographer Tanja Askanibut they were taken in Alberta, not Germany. I've seen the videos ofthose 2 playing and it's a well known story here. Although I must admitI've never seen a wild rabbit not turn white by the time we have snowand I've never seen a rabbit that stays one color all year in the wild.

Here's a baby cotton tail I had in my gardenlast year. He was sooooooooo kyoote and was as small as a hamster.Unfourtuantly, he died when Tropical Storm Ernesto hit us.:(
I named him Coniglio, which is Italian for "Rabbit."

congliooqo5.jpg

coniglio2vw4.jpg

Where do wild bunnies sleep/live in the wintertime? I read somewhere that European bunnies sleep in holesthey dug, do the North American ones do that to?

We have one that comes every night for food I leave out for it, it'slike clock work at the same time every night he's in our yard eatingthe food.

Susan:bunnydance:

Yep Susan, the wild bunnies here dig large burrows where they live in warrens:D

I think that is where domestic bunnies get the digging instinct frombecause they were originally bred from wild European rabbits.:bunnydance:

Eastern Cottontails don't dig burrows as far as I'm aware, I think theybuild their nests under bushes etc. though that may be wrong ;)lol

Eastern Cottons make horizontal tunnles in longbrush or brush under bushes. Coniglio's mum made her tunnle in brushunder the bramble of a big black berry bush.

They say that rabbits are more "related" to deerthan rodents!! The feet are built more like hoofs becuase unlikerodents, their toes are not as flexible and their claws do not "hook"like a rodents, thus not being able to climb like rodents can. Theirdigestive track is also simular to a deer's. Their poop is comes out inmultiple piles and unlike most rodent's poop which comes out long andsquishy(Like dog or cat poop.), rabbits and deer poop come out as smallround hard pellets. They both are completely herbavorious(Though theyboth can eat the strangest things.), and both their eyes are placed oneach side of their head.
I really don't know, but "maby" it's the reason why male rabbits arecalled bucks and female rabbits are called does - but it's just atheory!!
The only reason I've heard that rabbits are closely related to rodents is cause their habit to chew.

Well I've got this wild bunny living in my backyard. She?hides behind our Yewbush. I give her apples and carrots every day. Ithink I will give her some of the greens that I have left over from ourbabies.

I saw her and another bunny getting frisky with each other a few daysago, so I expect to see littlebabies in about amonth. I think she may also be going under ourdeck. I really glad that she's in our yard, one of ourneighbours I don't think is too crazy about the wild life around here,including the birds and the squirrels.

I'll keep you posted and I'll try to get some pictures of her.

We have a TON of cottontails in our yard.They're ALWAYS around, and I love it ;) We have horses, so LOTS of hay,and the buns figured out it's a GREAT and safe place to eat :) Let mesee if I have pics online of them (I KNOW I have pics, just not sure ifthey're online?)

Bummer, I don't... I have the snakes, squirrel, javelina, bird babies,hawk, ect, but this is the best I can do of the bunnies... see it therein the background, to the right of my horse?

meradi6.jpg

And this little guy was trapped in my friends backyard and screaming!:( She brought him to me! She wasn't sure what to do with him, andsince my place is a bunny haven...

squirrel1.jpg

Jessi

Hi Jessi, yes I see the bunny in the firstpicture, so cute. And the little one did it make it howadorable is that. BTW nice yard you have there.

Here are a couple of oictures I took this morning of the rabbit in the back yard.

Back