Why is my rabbit digging at me and nibbling my clothes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
I’m back yet again with another silly bunny question. This is my rabbits 3rd day in my house. It can get very loud in the area he’s in (living room) I sat in his playpen for a bit today to try and get him used to my scent and me in general. He starts nibbling at my clothes and digging at me as well. Is this his way of trying to get a feel for me or was he trying to tell me to leave him alone? He also wouldn’t come out of his playpen today so instead I removed everything in his playpen to give him more space to run around and do binkys.

Awwww, that’s so sweet! Digging and gently nibbling is usually a sign of love and trust. Digging is also a sort of way of claiming you as theirs.

Shen nips at my socked foot to make me move my foot and dig at my arm or leg when he wants attention. So it could be attention he wants. Sitting with him is a good way to bond. I lay on the floor with Shen and let him climb all over me. Being at their level and letting them come to you is a good start.

Awwww, that’s so sweet! Digging and gently nibbling is usually a sign of love and trust. Digging is also a sort of way of claiming you as theirs.
Chinning as well. When they decide to rub their chin on you. Shen has done it to our friend's shoes, my keyboard, my husband's head...

This is my rabbits 3rd day in my house... He also wouldn’t come out of his playpen today

He shouldn't be coming out of his playpen for weeks, so that is fine. He is still so young and is still in the very, very early stages of getting familiar with his new home. I wouldn't have started the exercise pen until the 3rd day at the earliest anyway. He doesn't need more than his cage and the playpen for quite a while yet. Sitting in the pen with him is good to do. Digging at your clothes is just trying to get at your skin to lick (groom) you.

Be patient and let him have plenty of time confined to the cage and exercise pen combination. That is plenty of space for him while he is still so young. Hopefully he will take to litter training readily and limiting his space only helps with that. Limiting his space also helps him to get used to the new noises and odors of his new home in the quickest way.

He shouldn't be coming out of his playpen for weeks, so that is fine. He is still so young and is still in the very, very early stages of getting familiar with his new home. I wouldn't have started the exercise pen until the 3rd day at the earliest anyway. He doesn't need more than his cage and the playpen for quite a while yet. Sitting in the pen with him is good to do. Digging at your clothes is just trying to get at your skin to lick (groom) you.

Be patient and let him have plenty of time confined to the cage and exercise pen combination. That is plenty of space for him while he is still so young. Hopefully he will take to litter training readily and limiting his space only helps with that. Limiting his space also helps him to get used to the new noises and odors of his new home in the quickest way.
Like I said I empty out his playpen completely leaving only his litter box and water in there and some tiny toys (although he has no interest in any of them) and this gives him plenty of room and space to run around tho he does sometimes run into the cage bars when doing so. He was falling asleep before and he let me pet him which was good.

Shen nips at my socked foot to make me move my foot and dig at my arm or leg when he wants attention. So it could be attention he wants. Sitting with him is a good way to bond. I lay on the floor with Shen and let him climb all over me. Being at their level and letting them come to you is a good start.
He let me pet him before while he was sleeping! So cute!!

Latest posts

Back