Why is my holland lop so big..?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I recently got a "pure bred holland lop". Her name is smores, and when fully extended, she is a bit over 17 inches.. I read online, and she is almost 5 inches more then she is supposed to be. She is only 4 months old, so im not sure why she is so big. I have a few photos, some are blurry because its a bit dark. If someone could answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• SMOREZ.jpeg
    SMOREZ.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 13
  • Photo on 2022-03-31 at 10.36 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2022-03-31 at 10.36 PM.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 13
She is probably either not purebred or the breeder is not adhering to the breed standard (her ears are also quite large for a Holland). She is absolutely darling! Will probably grow closer to Mini Lop size (maybe bigger? Time will tell!)

Hi! I recently got a "pure bred holland lop". Her name is smores, and when fully extended, she is a bit over 17 inches.. I read online, and she is almost 5 inches more then she is supposed to be. She is only 4 months old, so im not sure why she is so big. I have a few photos, some are blurry because its a bit dark. If someone could answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
Such a gorgeous bun! She could be a 'false dwarf' meaning she got no copies of the dwarf gene from her parents. It's easier to judge that based off weight instead of inches. If she grows to be in the 4-6lbs range, she's probably a false dwarf.

Not that I’m a breeder or expert but a rabbit (or any other animal) being “purebred” doesn’t guarantee that they will meet the standard of perfection for the breed. My bun came from a woman who shows rabbits but mine isn’t “show quality” I have a dwarf Hotot his eye bands aren’t perfectly solid black as his parent’s eyes were.
With regards to size my bun is tiny, just a hair over 2lbs and quite compact when he’s sitting but when he lays out he’s quite long although I never measured. 6B5814E8-F113-4A7D-AC34-225B90A0921B.jpeg8A37804A-B97C-4963-8438-3409F4484D8D.jpeg

Such a gorgeous bun! She could be a 'false dwarf' meaning she got no copies of the dwarf gene from her parents. It's easier to judge that based off weight instead of inches. If she grows to be in the 4-6lbs range, she's probably a false dwarf.
ok! thanks! Ill be sure to check her weight

Latest posts

Back