Why is my bunny's chin losing hair and has skin bumps that are red?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnysAllDay

Reaction score
My Bunny's are having a problem, When I look at them they look as if they have excessive saliva coming out the mouth and when it dry it has this bad smell, They keep doing like a chewing motion and that's when it starts to form more. I did take my bunny's to the vet but the vet can't identify it and said that the teeth are healthy so there's no way it's the teeth plus they're only a month and 7 days old. The photo is when I have washed them and discovered red bumps....I don't know what they have..... Someone please help!

Hair is orange from carrot mixed with saliva.

Attachments

• IMG-20231207-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20231207-WA0003.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 17019906059504537854958561003124.jpg
    17019906059504537854958561003124.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 0
How many rabbits are we talking about that this is happening to? Any other rabbits the same age, or rabbits in the same proximity, with the same diet that are fine? Is the mother rabbit having any issues, if you have the mother?

What's the exact diet they're getting, including type and brands of foods? I'm just wondering if there may be a problem with something in their food that's causing irritation in their mouth.

Any possibility of toxic plants or substances in their environment? Could they be getting bitten by bugs in their bedding or environment?

How many rabbits are we talking about that this is happening to? Any other rabbis the same age, or rabbits in the same proximity, with the same diet that are fine? Is the mother rabbit having any issues, if you have the mother
What's the exact diet they're etting, including type and brands of foods? I' just wondering if there may be a problem with something in their food that's causing irritation in their mouth.

Any possibility of toxic plants or substances in their environment? Could they be getting bitten by bugs in their bedding or environment?
We are talking about two bunnies, another one and the one in the photos. They're the same age. Yes, I have the mother she is completely fine and has no signs of this.

They eat veggies such as carrots, lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, celery. And have grass on the side.

I'm not sure about bugs in their bedding. I have not seen any but Any recommendations to get rid of them if so?

Could possibly be a dental issue? Salivating and bad breath could suggest an infection.
Miley has dental issues and I know it's time for a vet visit when she makes chewing motions all the time, it always points to something going on in her mouth.
The constant wetness may well be causing the hair loss and irritated skin, which looks like it could be ulcerating. I'd get a vet to look at their teeth ASAP! There skin looks very sore so it is worth asking for some pain relief for them too.

Could possibly be a dental issue? Salivating and bad breath could suggest an infection.
Miley has dental issues and I know it's time for a vet visit when she makes chewing motions all the time, it always points to something going on in her mouth.
The constant wetness may well be causing the hair loss and irritated skin, which looks like it could be ulcerating. I'd get a vet to look at their teeth ASAP! There skin looks very sore so it is worth asking for some pain relief for them too.
I have already taken them to the vet
The vet said that their teeth are completely fine and healthy being that they're just babies. Yes, I have thought the same. They go back to the vet tomorrow so I'll make sure to wash them then show the vet and see if it makes a difference on what he think. Thanks.

Oh poor Buns, I agree with Mileybun, to get another opinion from a second vet.

just an idea, but you could wipe under their chins with a slightly damp cloth a couple of times throughout the day, maybe in the morning, and then at night, or if you have time, in between as well. It may be they just aren't cleaning their chins properly, or they may let their chins in their water bowl alot and then not dry of under their chins properly. I'm not sure.

But its just a suggestion, you wiping their chins,

but I'd deffinately go to a different vet for a second opinion

Oh poor Buns, I agree with Mileybun, to get another opinion from a second vet.

just an idea, but you could wipe under their chins with a slightly damp cloth a couple of times throughout the day, maybe in the morning, and then at night, or if you have time, in between as well. It may be they just aren't cleaning their chins properly, or they may let their chins in their water bowl alot and then not dry of under their chins properly. I'm not sure.

But its just a suggestion, you wiping their chins,

but I'd deffinately go to a different vet for a second opinion
I have shown the vet their chins after I cleaned them today and he said the one looks like it turned to an abscess because of the irritation and hair loss but if it doesn't go away by tomorrow then he'll pop it and give it more antibiotic.

I live in a small country so there aren't a lot of vets who are specialties in bunny's. He is a good vet but has never seen anything like this so he doesn't know what it is. He has given them an antibiotic shot that works for skin infection, It's not recommended for bunny's but he said we haft to try.

I agree, It could be caused from dipping their chins in the water and not having it dry like you said, And yes, I have been drying their chins. But thank you, I'm just concerned and curious for people opinion on it and for help.

I live in a small country so there aren't a lot of vets who are specialties in bunny's.
If you could correct your profile location, someone may be able to offer an alternative vet. There are many "good" vets that simply are not well experienced with rabbits. Rabbits are very different than other pets. For instance, some medications that are commonly used for dogs and cats can be lethal to rabbits. An otherwise very good vet, if he/she doesn't have extensive experience with rabbits, may miss key health issues.

Also, what breed are your rabbits? Are they a breed with shortened faces?

If you could correct your profile location, someone may be able to offer an alternative vet. There are many "good" vets that simply are not well experienced with rabbits. Rabbits are very different than other pets. For instance, some medications that are commonly used for dogs and cats can be lethal to rabbits. An otherwise very good vet, if he/she doesn't have extensive experience with rabbits, may miss key health issues.

Also, what breed are your rabbits? Are they a breed with shortened faces?
I know that medication from dog/cats etc can be lethal to rabbits that's why my vet is only for rabbits/Bunny's.

Latest posts

Back