Why Has My Rabbit Started Slobbering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryes

Reaction score
Lately my male rabbit )one year old on Nov 11) has really started Slobbering when he eats. We've not changed his diet. The picture is after he ate a leaf of romaine lettuce and a piece of mustard green. 20231115_203418.jpg

Does he drool ever when hes not eating?
Has he ever seen a vet?
He may need to have his Teeth checked.
He doesn't drool when he's not eating. He has been to the vet twice since we've had him (not for drooling). I fed them 100% dandelion leaves this morning and no drooling. It seems to be just with the lettuce, bell pepper, spinach (juicier greens).

Last edited:
Here's another thought that I'd like input on. We are moving our rabbits away from pellets since they are at or near a year old. They are at about 1/4 cup x 2 per day. I give them plenty of timothy hay and they get about 3-4 cups of greens each both morning and night.

When I put the food pellets in their bowl in the morning, they act like they are starving. When I give them their greens, they charge out to eat them. They don't devour the hay though. Is this just part of the process? Am I not giving them enough greens? If they are not getting enough to eat, could this contribute to the slobbering (the buck slobbers; the doe does not)? They both look healthy and content (other than at meal time).

Here's another thought that I'd like input on. We are moving our rabbits away from pellets since they are at or near a year old. They are at about 1/4 cup x 2 per day. I give them plenty of timothy hay and they get about 3-4 cups of greens each both morning and night.

When I put the food pellets in their bowl in the morning, they act like they are starving. When I give them their greens, they charge out to eat them. They don't devour the hay though. Is this just part of the process? Am I not giving them enough greens? If they are not getting enough to eat, could this contribute to the slobbering (the buck slobbers; the doe does not)? They both look healthy and content (other than at meal time).
You need to go to a good rabbit vet. You cannot diagnose dental problems yourself.

It's quite possible your bun is just messier eating certain veggies. But dental problems could also be a contributing cause. You won't know though, unless your bun gets a dental exam by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

It's optimal for rabbits to be eating a pile of loose hay, at least the size of their body, per day. If your buns aren't, it could be they're filling up on pellets and veggies, they don't like the hay they're being fed, and/or it could be due to dental issues.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html
https://rabbit.org/care/food-diet/
Rabbit diet and feeding

Latest posts

Back