Why Does this happen to my Rabbits Poop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariethomas

Reaction score
Hello.

My rabbit has been pooping large poops that come out brown, and then within and hour turn a light brown? And sometimes I'll find some that are even crushed?

Before this rabbit I had another one, and use to store it's poops for my grandmother and it's poops NEVER went light brown, they stayed their regular color for a long time and even started to turn white.

Is it something in my rabbits diet? Is he okay? Or is this just physics? I just find it weird it turns like a light brown after time, I'm use to it remaining dark brown.

His diet consists of pellets, grass hay and occasional vegetables as I'm still introducing him.
Thanks.

This happens with both of my rabbits from time to time but they seem to be perfectly fine. if he is eating and drinking and acting fine its probably nothing to be concerned about. Hope they are doing ok.

I've had the same happen with all four of my rabbits... and they are different ages... they are all fine and on different diets..
I would not worry ...

It sounds to me like his poops are just drying out and then he's stepping on them and crushing them. Definitely sounds normal to me.

Sophie's poops do that. Sometimes they are really dark then fade lighter as the day progresses and they dry out. Whatever moisture is in the poop will evaporate causing it to lighten in colour. I don't think it's a concern:)

It only happens to my older rabbits poop, so I thought I did something wrong along the way. Glad to hear it's okay. He does act normal and poops properly.

Thanks for all the answers. :)

The main concerns with poop are quantity, consistency (ie are they firm and dry like they should be) and whether they're all approximately the same size and shape.

Here's a good educational page about bunny poop :p

Latest posts

Back