Why does my one rabts cage smell so HORRIBLE?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FascinaRabbits

Reaction score
My REW New Zealend Reebok's cage smells absolutly horrible. I cant even walk past it without smelling urine. I'm chaing his whole cage every three days because it gets so bad. He poops like nuts, they're nice formed poops but he has a mountain of poop in his litterbox after 3 days, it's nuts. I picke dhim up today and his bum was wet and he smelled like piss. He's about 8-9 months old right now. He's a nice rabbit and this has been constant since his nuts dropped. Is he spraying? Or..... he started this jsut like 2 months ago. I have other 6 month rabbits who don't spray. But they're lionhead mixes. So yeah. Thanks for the help! :)

What kind of cage do you have? What litter do you use? and is he litter trained?

You might need to use a better litter/bedding. Wood shavings don't absorb well and neither does newspaper. Try wood pellets (about $6 for a 40 pound bag). They absorb both odor and liquid really well.
Litter training will also help as he will go in one area and you can just clean that. I scoop out my litter boxes every other day and clean them out once a week. It can take time to litter train a rabbit, but it totally worth it in the time you save in cleaning and the amount of litter you use.

I would thoroughly clean the whole cage, walls around it and the floor near it. Also clean out the whole cage and bedding. Then clean up your rabbit so you are starting with a clean slate. If you keep up with cleaning, you should be able to limit the smell.

ugh, i know the feeling. my rabbit which looks like a flemmie / NZ mix absolutely STINKS. he hasn't been desexed and i'm 99% sure the stink comes from "spraying".

none of my other rabbits have ever sprayed but he does it like a maniac. it stiiiiiiiiinks.

we just spray glen 20 everywhere but it only really works for about a few hours.

can you get him desexed or is he for breeding? ours is getting desexed on monday!

Unneutered rabbits can be extremely stinky! There's a good chance that he's also spraying (maybe you aren't finding the areas he's sprayed?) I think you need to clean the cage more often and get a more absorbent litter.

Intact males and females do have a very strong smell to their urine. Honey's odor decreased by at least half immediately after being spayed. Before getting spayed Honey would "scent" her displeasure. That is, she would release a horrible "skunky" odor. That, too, has stopped. And, your rabbit's scent glands may need cleaning. The scent glands are located on either side of the genitals. They can get a waxy build-up that has a horrible odor.

Latest posts

Back