Why do we need to moderate the consumption of specific Green leafy veges?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Charles Marble

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to the forum , first time bunny owner (minilop 6 weeks).

I was doing some research on here to determine the amount/ type of food I should be feeding my bunny fear I may be getting him fat.

A pinned post by NorthernAutumn (thank you)

(https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/quick-list-rabbit-safe-foods-library-copy.74122/)

Stated some popular safe vegetable options to feed Ur bunny but it was appended with a smaller list titled "(vegetables) Safe in moderation" ...

SAFE IN MODERATION:

Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Kale
Mustard Greens
Spinach

My bunny seems to particularly like broccoli, spinach and kale, and I wanted to know why the items on this list differed from the larger list? What do I need to be worried about when it comes to these specific veges and how much is too much?

From some additional research my best guess so far is that the veges in moderation list contain high levels of "K"?

I appreciate any advice !

From some additional research my best guess so far is that the veges in moderation list contain high levels of "K"?

Exactly what McClellan said. Excess calcium can lead to bladder sludge due to the unique way rabbits metabilize calcium.

This happened to my doe, and sent her into GI stasis. That ordeal wasn't fun, nor was it cheap, so it's a good idea to keep a good eye out for their health (and ask questions like you are!).

Back