Why can't a bunny have dog/cat privileges ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
A fewweeks ago , I purchased a Lionhead from a Petco while shopping for abetter litterbox for Gimli .This Petcohad their rabbits in a clean, roomy bin with locked lid ;andit seemed to be a very good idea-- not to allow everyoneto handle the buns w/o supervision.

Anyway, I asked to holdthe Lionhead ( "Grandpa" ), and was surprised byitbunny kissing me ! Now I'm not an impulse buyer (that I know of:p) , but this rabbit was very sweet, cuddly, and begging tobe spoiled.

After talking some more tothe store clerk--yes, the bun was neutered, socialized, and 8 1/2 weeksold ; I decided "Grandpa" should live at our house and maybesomeday share a NIC home with Gimli .

Guess what ? "Grandpa"turned out to be a doe :D:D:D.

Now I need to get back tothe title of this post. "Niobe" (named after the Weeping Willow in ouryard ) is very sociable and calm. Unlike Gimli -- whom I still adore--she will sit in your lap for an hour or more , allowing me to brush hermane and hindquarters.

I need to post a pic. assoon as I get my pixel. prob figured out. Niobe is a short bunny ,heighth-wise ; but she's long in body and face.

When we go on cartrips,we like to take her along --as long as the weather'snot too warm. When we stop, Niobe is fitted out with her stretchyharness andleash, and enjoys taking mom fora run.People take dogson trips , and sometimes cats--why notrabbits ? Is there anything dogs & their owners cando that bunnies ( & their owners ) can't ? Aside fromrunning and catching a frisbee :D.

Gimli gets time to run inour home, but his lack of calm-nessmakes it difficult to takehim anywhere . Poor Gimli-- he's so hyper & active,it's hard to believe he's neutered. He's still a sweetie,though.

Soon , Gimli &Niobe will have tostart gettingbonded ! I have afeeling Niobemay be theunderdog(under-rabbit?)

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

p.s. Niobe DOESkinda look like a Grandpa, with white mane, white,bushyhindquarters and odd whites tufts of hair poking out onher face ! She'll stick with her (Niobe) name,though!:bunnyangel:

I agree! People should treat rabbits more likecats and dogs. One thing I would never do though is bring my buns to alarge/populated park. Since they are rabbits, dogs could easily hurt orkill them. That's the one problem that can never really be solved.

Ive been turned down by 3 airlines for allowingmy bunny to travel .. but you can bring noisy, stinky dogs, cats andbirds on board!! (i love all those animals but they truely can be apain in the you know what on a plane) does anyone know of an airlinethat allows them?

Oh - you'll love your lionhead even more as timegoes on.....they are so much fun. I have over 30 in my houseright now....probably close to 40...and they're all so personable.

Peg

I think rabbits would get a lot better treatmentoverall if people thought of them the way they do cats anddogs. If we hadn't gotten Loki, Mocha might be a house bunnyby now. It's just pushed back until they learn tobehave. Although she is terrified of harnesses and I'llnever, ever put one on her again! I might try with Loki,though.

The Petco said she was neutered and 8 1/2 weeks old? No vetsdo it that early- the man bits usually haven't even droppedby then! Personally, I would complain to the manager aboutthe obviously inaccurate info. What if someone bought a maleand female thinking they were unable to have babies?!:shock:I mean, rabbits are sexed wrong all the time at that age but falselyclaiming they are fixed is just wrong!

Shuu wrote:
Iagree! People should treat rabbits more like cats and dogs. One thing Iwould never do though is bring my buns to a large/populated park. Sincethey are rabbits, dogs could easily hurt or kill them. That's the oneproblem that can never really be solved.
I agree...I wouldn't take a rabbit tomost parks. Actually Itook my dog to the local 'dog park' two weeks ago (it isn't really justfor dogs, but so many dog owners and their canine companions frequentit that it eventually became designated as an area where the dogs areallowed to run loose) and to my surprise there was a woman with arabbit; she had a beautiful Rex on a lead. My concern was the safety ofher rabbit...my dog was on a leash at the time, but I was actually justabout to unleash her for a run when (fortunately) I saw the womanemerging from behind a tree in a tall grassy area with her rabbit onthe ground behind her. Now, had my dog seen this and was loose, Iwouldn't guarantee that she would not have attacked the bunny.Unfortunately she is very predatory. I have been able to teach her thatbunnies at home don't mean 'lunch' (she actually bonded with my lastrabbit and the two would play together in the yard), but in seeing arabbit in the wild, she would definitely go after it, and not to play.Many of the dogs in the park are like that...the predator instinctkicks in if they see a squirrel or rabbit (hence, we never seesquirrels or rabbits in that park...they are much too smart to hang outwhere the dogs gather).

I asked this woman if she was concerned about her rabbit's safety,taking it to a dog park like that, but she said no...she apparentlytakes him there often. I know that for myself, I wouldn't take thechance...a dog suddenly appearing out of nowhere would be all it wouldtake to have a tragedy happen.

Aside from that though, I would like to see the general population abit more accepting of rabbits as pets. When I had my last rabbit,people looked at me like I had two heads when I told them I had a bunnyas a pet. Yet rabbits are so social and loving, and they can be trainedto so many things, such as the litterbox and leash (and I wouldn't besurprised to hear of a Frisbee-catching bun some day!:p).

Bassetluvwrote:
(and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of aFrisbee-catching bun some day!:p).

Mini frisbees! Could even have little bunny agility. Whether or not they'd actually do it is anyone's guess. :laugh:

I take Corky all over with me, to thegreenhouse, petstore, out for rides...he even goes down to the farmersmarket with me! People seem to think its great!! I figure it gets somegood bunny as pets exposure ou tthere!

Omg, people are always freaking when i mentionthat I have two rabbits in the house. "Why onearth?" they ask me. They are in disbelief when Itell them that rabbits are trainable to use a litter box and that theyenjoy toys and treats.

I think dogs are really the pinnacle when itcomes to pet care. A lot of people don't even treat their catsas well as they treat their dogs :(

But I agree with what you're saying, I see my cats and rabbits as equalto dogs in respect to care, socialization, and putting time and moneyinto. I don't understand this heirarchy that people create that putsdogs at the top, then cats, and lumps all rodent-type animals(not necessarily rodents) into the same category.

I've actually heard of rabbits being compared to fish: they don't do much, they're more for looking at :shock:.

(and don't get me started on how poorly people treat their fish :X)

Is it because dogs are so child-like, that we have a harder timeinteracting with species that have their own unique communication andmannerisms? If so, that doesn't say much for us as humans as the"higher species".

Dogs are probably at the top because of theirgeneral personality perception. Dogs are seen as loyal, ready to pleaseand easy to train. Cats are seen as aloof, uncaring and only in it forthe food. People seem to have that idea in mind when they buy pets, sothey buy according to the type of care they can provide. Of courserabbits, as we all know, don't just sit there. They each have adifferent personality, likes and dislikes, and mannerisms. When itcomes down to it, dogs and cats are more mainstream. People likemainstream.

Can I vent for a second? At Target(here in Tucson) there are no pets allowed except for guidedogs. I am fine with that. I kind of wish I couldtake my buns with me for a little socialization and some change ofscenery...anyhoo...I digress...

TWICE in Target I have seen people wheeling their little lap dogsaround in shopping carts! I am sure they were able to carrythem in because they smuggled them in in their purses. Now ifI were to take my 45 pound shepard puppy inside I am SURE I would beasked to leave. Why is it ok for people to keep lap dogsinside?

hummm....

Thanks, I feel better now. :)

I totally agree, my parents, although they arevery supportive and helpful with my bunny-owning don't seem to think ofthem on the same level as my cat. They can't live inside and littlethings i want for them or to do for them are dissmissed because theyare rabbits, If it was Ollie (my cat) then they would think about it.It's SO annoying!! When i am older my bunnies are getting everythingthey want!

Corky just loves the attn he gets when he goesplaces. Oreo likes the attn she gets at the hospital as atherapy bunny....I hope to get Corky in that very soon!

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Corky just loves the attn he gets when he goesplaces. Oreo likes the attn she gets at the hospital as atherapy bunny....I hope to get Corky in that very soon!
Hey PGG:)how did you go about signing Oreo up as a therapybun? I'd LOVE to do some work like that :p

The lady that runs the animaltherapyprogram at the hospital runs the bunny part at theshelter so I met her thru that. I asked her about it and shethought Oreo would be good, so I took her down and we did a trial run,she did great. There was no certification or anything we hadto do, I know in some states its more detailed and involved.I hope to get Corky going here soon now that he's in the clear from thevet...

Thanks for the details! Now I havesomewhere to start. What a wonderful thing that is todo! :inlove:

naturestee wrote:
The Petco said she was neutered and 8 1/2 weeksold? No vets do it that early- the man bits usuallyhaven't even dropped by then! Personally, I would complain tothe manager about the obviously inaccurate info. What ifsomeone bought a male and female thinking they were unable to havebabies?!:shock: I mean, rabbits are sexed wrong all the timeat that age but falsely claiming they are fixed is just wrong!
I would definitely ask the manager and tell him that the bunny had beenincorrectly sexed. However, often Petco and PetsMart haveanimals, including bunnies in some places, which are from rescues orshelters. These animals may have been spayed orneutered. It amazes me how young they will spay/neuteranimals at shelters. I have friends who got a kitten from ashelter and were told it was 6 weeks old (illegal to sell in PA) andshe had been neutered. Plus she had an awful URI.Anyway, many pet store employees have never been properly trained insexing rabbits. I know it took me a long time and asking lotsof people to learn and I still make mistakes some times, but I usuallysay I'm not positive.

My buns are treated at least as well as my other animals.Nearly all my money goes to the animals, aside from bills ofcourse. I agree with the fact that dogs usually get bettertreatment then most other animals. My dogs definitely spendmore time with me then my other animals, because they won't leave mealone. I can't even go to the bathroom without myyorkie. LOL They get along with my other animals,so it works out for their benefit. I think that people justlook at dogs as having more personality then other animals. Ihave 2 cats who I swear think they are dogs, one even begs for dogtreats, so they get lots of attention too, but one is really aloof, shehates everyone but me and only likes me on her terms.

Basically too many people and pet stores don't know the proper care ofmany animals that are kept as pets. People just need to beeducated on the proper care, but unfortunately they tend to go to petstores for this education and therefore don't get it. Myemployees have been given tons of information about proper care,because they SHOULD know.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
People just need to be educated on the proper care, butunfortunately they tend to go to pet stores for this education andtherefore don't get it. My employees have been given tons ofinformation about proper care, because they SHOULD know.

Jen
Why can't there be more pet stores like yours? It's so discouraging tosee the ignorance that many pet stores disseminate like it was thegods-honest-truth :X

Its great to know that there are educated pet store employees out there. Thank you.

Niobecame with a handout sheet that said she came from "Marshall Farms" inNew York. I went online and read that M.F. only sell ferrets??????

I may give them a call andsee if they have sold rabbits, as well.

Although we love Niobe andare having alot of fun with her ( more on that later ) , this is why Idon't usually buy from Petco. I'm not sure she's 2 mo. or so , sheseems older . The store employees seemed unsure of her age, but saidshe was between 2 and 3 mo.

Hmmmmmmm......

Guess what ? Today whilewalking her, she somehow got herself under our car and emerged from theother end with dark brown grease on parts of her ! Poor thing!

So I hurried her insideand gently bathed her with tepid water and a little baby shampoo. Hermane had some bad smears and had to be trimmed---poor Niobe .:(:(:(

Hope that was o.k. ; nowshe has bangs !!! She seems to be happy and is busychewing up a paper towel cardboard roll .

Kadish Tolesa :purplepansy:

Latest posts

Back