Who here show's their Bun's?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
Hello,

Who here show's their bun's? I want to get some info one this of people that are on this website.
I am getting into showing and breeding my rabbits. As soon my one Doe gets a little bigger,

My bun's..

I will showing my 6 week old Black Doe Dutch, My Blue Buck cant because he haves one blue eye and one brown eye, My older Doe cant because of her markings.. But i want to get into Showing & Breeding.

Thanks, Misty :pink iris:

I show my Mini Rex.

Since you have a 6 week old, it's best to wait until they are (I think?) 12 to 14 weeks to be shown. Otherwise they won't have filled out very much yet, and won't do very good on the table. Most shows have a rule that the rabbits can't be under 10 weeks and they must meet minimum Junior weight to even be in the showroom, let alone being shown.

Emily

yes, i knew that about the age.. I'm waiting until Feb to show her, But Thanks anyways Emily !!! :)

like feeding, grooming, handling, Toys, stuff like that.. I have youngsters so they get handled alot.

I'm feeding them just regular rabbit pellets and Hay, My aunt told me not to feed them any veggies or fruit until they are 6 months. I just got them some salt and wood blocks to chew on. They are all indoor's until Spring.

I show Himalayan rabbits, and very successfully.

My rabbits are handled every day. The juniors, more than the seniors. Some of the seniors just don't want to be screwed with, and I understand, and allow them to do their own thing. Juniors, I want to be as easy to handle as possible, as my rabbits are often sold to young 4-hers, who seem to be the only people who want Himmies around here.

As far as feeding goes, my rabbits get 1/2-3/4 cup of Purina Show a day. The amount varies from rabbit to rabbit- some do best on 3/4 cup and some go overweight on that same amount. You really have to watch your rabbits and see what the individual requires. My juniors under 3 months are all free fed in their group cage. When I separate them, they get 1 cup until they hit the Senior age, where I gradually start reducing their feed. Does that are pregnant get 1 cup- does with litters are free-fed. And every one of my rabbits get a big handful of hay in the morning to hold them through until their evening feeding.

As far as grooming goes, I can't do that too much with my himmies and it's not really required. Overgrooming them can cause smut. It is only when they are smutty I will pull them out and try and work away the smut in hopes that they'll grow in clean before our next show.

My rabbits always have pinecones or wood blocks in their cages. Rarely anything else for toys.

Good luck! Raising rabbits for show is a great learning experience.

I used to show more. I've grown up with rabbits and been around them basically 20 years. I used to mainly show in 4H...and now I'm trying to get back in rabbits as a hobby and such. I've shown way too many breeds to list, and at one point or another I've owned almost every type of rabbit.

I'm getting back into Mini Rex, and I'm learning about the Florida Whites, Harlequins, and Velveteen lops. Getting my lops tomorrow actually which is exciting.

I've alwyas used self feeders with my rabbits. I never had anything overweight. Like Erin, we just had woodblocks in ours. Pinecones does seem like an interesting idea. I didnt overfeed hay. I never had complaints with the way bunnies were. I did feed a higher protein percent feed with my market rabbits.

after watching the show and participating at that particular one, I felt I needed to spend more time with my bunnies for 4-h vs an ARBA show lol. But I'd spend time with them, get them used to nail trimming. Their teeth being checked out and having their privates messed with. Get them used to quick brushing and such. Shedding rabbits is not fun!

I show my rabbits its a great past time :)

i currently show himalayans, mini rex, and californian

let me know if you ever need a nice dutch stud for breed, I have a really nice dutch he would be great if he didint have a spot behind his ears, he's a great breeder though!

yamaya17 wrote:
I show my rabbits its a great past time :)

i currently show himalayans, mini rex, and californian

let me know if you ever need a nice dutch stud for breed, I have a really nice dutch he would be great if he didint have a spot behind his ears, he's a great breeder though!

Thanks though, That is why i have my blue buck for breeding to the big Doe, He's not for breeding because he haves one blue eye. But my small Doe cant breed with my Blue buck cause they are brothers and sisters.. But i need a buck for her

alright just to warn ya that blue eye runs in the genes, if you ever wanted another buck i would consider giving him to you, seeing as I dont breed or show dutches, the only thing is that I didint get him with papers

eeks, that isnt good with no papers.. This is my first time showing bunnies, I have breed in the past when I was younger, But this is my first doing this stuff, That is why I am trying to talk to other show people

You can still use it with no Pedigree.. you just have to make note he did not have a pedigree and keep track of the generations. She may have who the parents are of the one she said she'd give you. Thus 2 generations and then if he has a litter, then thats the 3rd generation which correct me if I'm wrong... should be able for the pedigree to kick in?

EDIT: You're also saying your rabbits are 'registered'. they may have a pedigree but I believe they have to win so many leggs before they are 'registered'.

The father that are to mine haves legs, My aunt show's them more then I do, She's the one that got me into showing, She gave my kids a breeding pair, and an extra one, She said they were going to get butchered because of the male eye and the big doe markings, But she told me that if you have Rabbits that arent showable, That doesnt mean the babies cant be.

But, If the rabbit isn't papered then its problly not worth breeding because of shows right?

Latest posts

Back