Who else is a failed fosterer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flashy wrote:
After angieluv getting Gloria it made me wonder who else has failed as a foster carer. I can think of a few, but I'm sure there must be more of us.

So who else has got a bunny that you meant to foster, and then ended up keeping him/her/them.

I'll start. Me :D

I failed to foster Summer

[align=center]
074.jpg

[/align]

I haven't fostered yet, but might be this coming summer as part of my senior project for school (training a rabbit for rabbit hopping and then giving it to a 4-H home that will continue training, etc..) and I might just fail. lol.

I do have to say though, Flashy, that face is TOO cute! No wonder you failed. lol. I must look through your blog more! lol.

Emily

naturestee wrote:
Me me me me me!

Dora
100_6646a.jpg

I know that my Darla is 1/2 lionhead (by her mane) - but doesn't she look a lot like Dora too?

DarlasBabies03122009018-1.jpg

It has been nagging at me for a bit - that these two look quite a bit alike...

A bit, but Darla's bone structure is a lot heavier. Dora is actually slightly crouched in that picture. She's a bit more upright here:
100_6720a.jpg

Also, she's nearly as long as Fey now (who is 3.5 lbs) but her body is about the width of my wrist. And I have pretty small wrists. Dora's head is about the width of two fingers. For reference, Fey's body is about the width of my hand (somewhat small hands though).

Darla's body type actually looks more like Fey's, who is a dwarf hotot without the dwarf gene. I always thought Fey might have a tiny bit of Britannia in her because she and Sprite were rather slender and arched for dwarf hotots. But who knows? Or maybe mini rex? I know they had something else in them due to their blue eyes. They originally came from a "show breeder" too, although I haven't met that person.

I do find that a lot of the mixed dwarf-size buns that come into the shelters around here tend to have a lighter body frame than the pure ones. I have no idea why. Maybe that's just what happens with them when they aren't selectively bred?

FYI, the vet still thinks Dora looks wild. She does not look like the wild buns in my yard. The vet just doesn't believe that arched breeds or "specialty" breeds are ever likely in a rescue/shelter situation. Tell that to the tan at TreasuredFriend's house.

I think I'm currently in the process of failing right now... I've let two go... isn't that enough? I just haven't admitted it to myself or the rescue yet... but who could blame me for considering it.. look at that face...
babybunny.jpg

DazyDaizee wrote:
I think I'm currently in the process of failing right now... I've let two go... isn't that enough? I just haven't admitted it to myself or the rescue yet... but who could blame me for considering it.. look at that face...
babybunny.jpg

I know what you mean. This is the face that going to be hard for me to let go:

IMG_0750.jpg

I had a hard giving up Monty. I was broken hearted when he passed on three weeks later. I think the stress of leaving me and his adopter taking him back and forth to her parents house shorten his life.I think genetics played a role there too.

HPIM0371.jpg

I kept Gracie though. The photo is from the first week that I had her. She was in rough shape.

HPIM0660.jpg

Awwww, so many foster homes in this thread! We're safe here for bunnies because at this particular moment I can't give them the kind of permanent home I want to, but they come here and get oodles of love, good food and a room all their own (well, they have to share with the guinea pigs...) until we can find that perfect fit.

However, if I ever get a giant breed bunny that can co-habitate well with my dogs and cats, I'd almost surely fail.

Not me so far. I have a 100% success rate. Although Snowball has been with me since 5/08 and I can't guaranty what will happen if someone wants to adopt her. Hubby has already commented "She's here forever, isn't she?" No comment.

Oh no, i could never foster..NOPE!
I would have a house full of bunnies. I know for a fact i would keep them ALL. Which would be bad..but good cause bunnies are SOOO cute..but nope..OMG i would LOVE to have so many bunnies..nope. ahh see thats why i cant foster! lol

Sanctuary-buns need their sanctuary giver! Nope. That doesn't count, Ali. Sanctuary caregivers are another different level. Accepting the ugly, grossly incapacitated, et al. Sanctuary could equal spending hundreds to thousands of $$$$$. Sanct' persons wear a Tiara of Lifelong Unconditional Love.

Penance, :p, time-commitment, laundry loads, battlescars (aggression) ... butt baths, unable to hop like normal rabbits, special set-ups needed, et al. You have special "kids" that go above and Beyond the normal role of foster.

A sanctuary fur-fam member could require twice the work as a normal foster. :bouquet: Agree, or no?
:highfive:

Sanctuary = lifelong slave, with challenges 24/7. Let your bun babe forever embrace your kind heart. Or, sanctuary equals NO more threats of Euthanization and Lethal Injection Death. Free to pee, i mean, be who they are.

Huggin' you Ali , for taking on the sanctuary ones.

I know we will have challenges with him but he is worth it. His tilt is better buthe has a lot of special needs. The rescue will continue to keep him up for sponsorship.:)

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Sanctuary-buns need their sanctuary giver! Nope. That doesn't count, Ali. Sanctuary caregivers are another different level. Accepting the ugly, grossly incapacitated, et al. Sanctuary could equal spending hundreds to thousands of $$$$$. Sanct' persons wear a Tiara of Lifelong Unconditional Love.

Penance, :p, time-commitment, laundry loads, battlescars (aggression) ... butt baths, unable to hop like normal rabbits, special set-ups needed, et al. You have special "kids" that go above and Beyond the normal role of foster.

A sanctuary fur-fam member could require twice the work as a normal foster. :bouquet: Agree, or no?
:highfive:

Sanctuary = lifelong slave, with challenges 24/7. Let your bun babe forever embrace your kind heart. Or, sanctuary equals NO more threats of Euthanization and Lethal Injection Death. Free to pee, i mean, be who they are.

Huggin' you Ali , for taking on the sanctuary ones.

I can now join the club, after trying Charger and Belle together, Charger didnt take too well to being mounted and i was afraid of a fight breaking out. So then i tried Benny and Belle together and they seemed not too bad , so i tried them again and again and again,lol. First we started out with them in the box on top of the washer on spin cycle two times then i put them together in the bathroom for about a half hour, i did that for two days. Then after that i started leaving them together longer, they were quickly together for half a day and now for the last two days they have been together all day!!!!!! last night i switched their cages, and i will keep switching them for the next week and after a week of being together all day and different cages i think i will try them over night. We will see though. SO I AM NOW APART OF THE CLUB, THE FAILED FOSTER CLUB!!!!!!!!!! We will be keeping Benny and he and Belle will be an item,lol. Maybe in a year or so I will try for a Trio, but i will have to give that a while to see if Charger settles down.

HPIM4621.jpg

Latest posts

Back