White Snot But Everything Else Seems Fine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonangel

Reaction score
My 4 month old Himalayan rabbit has been sneezing lately, and white mucus is coming out of his left nostril (not too runny, but not thick either). We took him to a vet and she gave him a prescription for Pasteurella two weeks ago and I had him on an antibiotic. He was fine for three days after his final dose, and WHAM the snot is back! What could this mean?

It's sounding like you may not be able to show your little guy at the fair. :( You can't take him if there is ANY indication of nasal discharge. He may have gone off the med too soon.

it means he has pasteurella and it means you CANNOT show him. You cannot subject other rabbits to his illness. Give him time, he will either build up his immune system again so he's strong enough to fight off the active infection OR he will get worse which means you'll need to consider what your options are with him.

I would not use him for breeding purposes as that just breeds that weakness into your rabbitry lines.

With URI's there can be more than one bacteria involved. So it could be that the antibiotics took care of one bacteria, but there are others that weren't sensitive to that particular antibiotic. The best thing to do would be to get a culture and sensitivity done so the vet knows exactly what bacteria is affecting your rabbit, and what antibiotics will be effective against it.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/culture.html

My guy has been on several rounds of antibiotics for his pasteurella. The symptoms always come back within a few weeks of stopping the antibiotics, however once they are back they don't get worse. If he has a few sneezing fits, I have a nebulizer I use for him, but ever since he got a girlfriend he doesn't have those fits very often anymore (used to be daily, now monthly).

So he may never get worse but he may also never get better.

Latest posts

Back