which pellets do you feed....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
just curious as to what pellets everyone is feeding there bunnies , mine were on beaphar care plus but since found out its not one of the good ones so have been trying to switch them to oxbow bunny basics , which there not really taking to and are turning their noses up at it and will only eat it if i dont give them anything else , i am mixing it with old pellet to start with as dont want to upset there tummys but they tend to eat the old stuff and leave the new and then look at me sad all day like im starving them

This will probably get moved to the nutrition forum, but I'll give it a go anyway ;).

My bunnies are fed pellets by Sweet Meadow Farms. My youngin's who are just under 15 weeks are being fed their timothy and alfalfa blend pellet. My other boys are getting their timothy based pellets. However, I did run out and have moved to Kaytee's Timothy Complete pellets mixed in with their regular pellets until my shipment gets in.

I've tried using Oxbow and my bunnies would eat it, but I wasn't nearly as happy with their product as I've been with Sweet Meadow's pellets. Unfortunately I've yet to see them sold in a pet store near me and mine won't order them for me, but it's worth it to order them from the internet. Of course that won't help you as you're in the UK, but I'm sure some UK bunny slaves will be chiming in as well.

Speaking of pellets, my little Shasta just tossed hers on the floor :?.

:headflick:

I had Simon on purina alfalfa at first, but than switched to oxbow which he liked better. Took him awhile to get used to the timothy oxbow pellets, but now he dives at me in the morning for his.. :)

I feed my bun beaphar initially, but like you said, it is not one of the good ones. So I found Selective Science for Rabbit a better one.

So far so good.

I like it because it has a very high percentage of fibre, which I want to get him on because he doesn't enjoy his hay as much.

Sal

I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics T (timothy) to all 4 of my rabbits. They each get 1/4 cup a day. Luckily, I can get 100lbs for $70 by traveling 2 hours to a rabbit store (much cheaper than ordering offline).

I am going to switch my 8.5 year old bunny over to Oxbow 15/23 (alfalfa) the next time we go to the bunny store. I feel that he might gain more energy this way.

I'm in the process of switching my 3 bunnies from Kaytee Timothy Complete over to the Oxbow Bunny Basics.

The Timothy Complete is not the best out there (though not the worst Kaytee makes), and I find that Nick tends to get a bad case of poopy butt if he eats the Kaytee more than twice a week.

So far no on minds the BB/T, they eat it all right up. Right now they're getting half and half, about a quarter cup, each bunny, each day. Been doing this a week now, and no poopy butt or dropped cecals. Hooray!!

I'd like to eventually switch them to American Pet Diner Timmy Pellets, but they're online order only (there are some retailers, just not in my area), and right now they're out of all sizes. From the ingredients and nutritional info lists, these seem just as good at the BB/T, but with added yucca, papaya, and probiotics. I've heard some good reviews for it.

I feed mine Oxbow Bunny Basics T as well, and when I first switched them all over it was not a popular choice.

The best way to do it is 1/4 of the Oxbow with 3/4 of the old stuff, for a week, then increase it to 1/2 and 1/2 of each for a week, then increase it to 3/4 Oxbow and 1/4 old stuff, for another week, and then *hopefully* you should be switched over. We did it slightly longer because they took a while to adjust to it, and did like yours, and ate the old pellets and not the Oxbow. Eventually though they cottoned on that Oxbow was the way to go and have been gobbling them down ever since! It takes a while but stick with it!

Where are you ordering your Oxbow pellets from? I've only found a couple of places online that sell them, no shops. The Hay Experts sell them, but only smaller bags, up to 4.5kg

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Food.10/View+Foods+by+Brand.132/Oxbow.133/

We order ours in 50lb/22kg bags from this site:

http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=437

And with our 4, who get 1/4 cup a day each, it lasts for about 3 months...

I love BBT because it's such high fibre, and Barney and Snowy's poppy butt episodes are much fewer and far between now than when we first got them. Also, I've noticed SUCH an improvement in the fur of all 4 bunnies. It's like they've used some kind of expensive conditioner, they're all so shiny lol! :p

Pixel gets Zupreem's Nature's Promise pellets. They're low in protein and very high in fiber. She won't eat Oxbow's Basic T. Just hates it. She like Sweet Meadows okay, but she really likes Zupreem. Fortunately, my vet sells Zupreem, so it's readily available.

I feed both my girlies Excel. They both like it and it is a good enough pellet. Could be a little better, but I limit pellets to try and make them eat more hay so it's ok. The only other decent pellets available to me are Science Selective, which is very good, I'd use that if they went off Excel. Allen and Page is great too, and very cheap, but I can't get it. Though Oxbow is the best pellet (wish I could get it, too expensive) so I'd just stick at it, they will get to like it. :)

As I see you're from England I can't highly enough recommend 'Supreme Science selective'. Although pellets should always only be a tiny part of your rabbit's diet, sinceI switchedMillie toscience selectivea couple of years ago (she was previously on supa rabbit excel) I really noticed a difference. Better coat, eyes, more poops etc.;)

Best pellet ever.:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back