Which are the Healthiest/Hardiest Breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dutch I had: she lived to be 5 1/2 years old. She was very healthy or seemed to be up until the last month. When she died we found out it was from pasturella infection, and she also had 1 or 2 small tumors. She definitely tried her hardest to never give up with anything though.

My first 2 mini rexs - Both lived to be 1.5-2 years old. They were my 2 friendliest rabbits and very well behaved. They both died from hair balls.

My now mini rex - She's very friendly. Haven't had many problems yet minus the broken foot she suffered at 10 weeks old but you'd never guess it! She is now 2 years old.

My now mini lop - He's a little runt, in love with his sister ^ and a big brat at times! He hasn't had many problems so far besides one of his teeth growing a little goofy. He's 1 right now.

Jenk wrote:
Little Bay Poo wrote:
What surprises me about dwarf breeds is that they don't have a shorter life span, but humans with dwarfism do.
In that regard, bunnies also seem to be verymuch like dogs: The smaller the breed, the longer the average/anticipated lifespan. (Thus far, I've not heard of any medium-to-large breeds living 12-14 years, as I have about various small breeds.)
I have had large dogs live that long. Both were purebred collies, too. Jason lived too be 13, he was about 85 pounds, Danny was 12, he was about 65-70 pounds. I also have some disagreement with the "hybred vigor" as well. Mutts can have as many health problems as purebreds, and there is no record of what it may have in the background. The problem with purebreds comes in when you buy from an unethical breeder. Not that I have anything against mutt dogs or rabbits either one, I have had quite a few of both and loved 'em.

Latest posts

Back