Where to position the nestbox....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revverress

Reaction score
I'm planning on breeding my English Lop doe on Sunday after her show tomorrow, and since this is going to be my first litter [eek!], I'm still kind of shaky on all the details. I know you put the nestbox in at day 27 or 28, but where exactly do you put it? I think I remember reading that you put it in the area where they sleep at, but wouldn't that encourage her to sleep in the nestbox, which would squish the babies? Or should I still put the nestbox where she sleeps at and give her another another bed/container to sleep in?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, what's the best day to palpate on? I'm going to get another breeder to do it for me, since I've never done it before and I don't want to hurt the doe or babies... Would day 12 be good, or should I wait for day 14?

This is the doe's first litter, so I'm double nervous/anxious about this. :p

I have heard to put the nestbox in an area the rabbit doesn't urinate/deficate usually. My doe has one particular corner of her cage that she uses for 'bathroom business' and so the nestbox was put in the corner she doesn't use. As far as palpating, I was able to feel babies at 10 days, but they say 14 days is the optimum time to palpate. This website has great info about palpating/breeding: http://islandgems.net/bunbreeding.html

Good luck! Keep us updated on how she does.:biggrin2:

Lindsey

Lilangelhotots is right. It's really important to put the nest box in a corner (or area) that the doe doesn't poop or pee in. You are only putting it in a few days before she is due. Once the babies are born, she won't sleep in the box. Everytime she's in the box, the babies will try to nurse. She will try to avoid them until it's feeding time, hop in, feed them, hop out.

Most of them know exactly what to do and how to do it. Let her do it.

Palpating is best done around day 12-14 (depending on the breed) but after 14 days it gets harder. Make sure an experienced person shows you the right way to do it so you don't mistake fecal pellets for embryo's or do any damage to the doe and kits.

Alright, thanks for the answers. Glad to know she won't try sleeping in the box. :)

Thanks for the link, Lindsey. I've been using that site a lot in researching breeding. I bred her today, so hopefully I'll have babies in a month. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back