Where do your rabbits live?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harriet has a (large) cage in my room at the moment, but she has free range of my room was long as I'm home and awake. I'm planning on getting a puppy pen and just keeping her in that because once I start working outside the home in a few weeks she'll only be able to be out in the evenings.

Np you shouldn't feel guilty! I think that's awesome that they can have all that space!!! Thanks for everyone's replies ;)

np wrote:
I now have two bunnies, both neutered males. They are not bonded yet (we just got the second one from a student of mine whose family couldn't afford to keep it), so Miller, my Netherland Dwarf shares space with me in my office room, and Buddy is in the dining room, which is next to the office. They are separated by two gates.

My husband and I have been talking about moving the two of them into our finished basement, where they will be much cooler and have more area to run around. The wiring in their current rooms is too old to run AC units all day, and I'm worried that fans and frozen water bottles just won't be enough this summer (we just moved into this house in December).

We don't plan on doing this bunny basement exodus until they're bonded. However, I'm feeling REALLY guilty about putting them down there (we're going to turn it into a TV room for us so we make sure that we spend enough time with them), but the two rooms they are in currently don't have doors (it's an old house with asymmetrical door frames), and it's always a little terrifying for me when guests come by with their dogs (the baby gates don't seem like enough of a barrier for me). Having the buns in the finished basement would be safer, as well as much cooler, and they'd be in neutral territory so Miller (hopefully) would be less aggressive about claiming his territory.

I'm wondering though-- is it unhealthy for them to live without much sunlight? The basement has small windows, so there's minimal light streaming in there. The floor is tiled, we don't have water damage there (it's about a 10 year-old addition), and there is thankfully no mold/mildew, and there is a lot more bunny-proofed surface area for them to run around.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling like a really guilty mom right now! :(

Many thanks!

np, I would not worry too much about mold/mildew. Even if you had it, it would not be a problem to remove. An important thing to note is that it cannot be removed with bleach. The spores will still be there. You would need to use special sprays, or hire a mold removal company, like this one in my area.

My rabbit has a Super Pet cage that's just his home base for the litterbox, hay, and dinnertime. I have a large pen that I attach to it when I'm not home/in bed so he can still run around. And when I'm awake and home he has free run of my room (though he's not allowed on the bed anymore as he pees on it :grumpy:) Other than the bed thing, he's perfectly litterbox trained and rarely chews anything he's not supposed to unless he's trying to get mommy's attention...then I yell at him and he binkys away as if it's great fun :rollseyes

Here are my indoor buns. They have the whole downstairs from morning til night. They share it with our whole family of 5 and our labradoodle.

34fy5ow.jpg

For nighttime they stay here:

2rggeb6.jpg

oops! sorry photos are so large. Don't know why...

Our two bigger girls, are housed outside. They each have a hutch and run of the garden in rotation.

Crumble, on the other hand, is housed indoors. He's made himself at home inside and so far I am able to manage my alelrgies/asthma enough to have him indoors. The set up is quite similar to Blue Eye's. He has a cage to sleep in, but he is pretty much free-range otherwise. The only thing I can complain about right now are his litter habits going bad because he's just entered that puberty phase. Otherwise, he's a good little bunny and loves to hang out with the cats and doggy. :)

My bunny has a bi-level super pet cage that's left open all day with free roam of the bathroom (that's fairly large). He's allowed out when he is being strictly supervised due to the mass destruction of chewing he's done to my house. I love him, but he loves chewing wires more, unfortunately.

kjm84 wrote:
He's allowed out when he is being strictly supervised due to the mass destruction of chewing he's done to my house. I love him, but he loves chewing wires more, unfortunately.

Have you tried putting flexible tubing around the wires that can't be put out of reach? It's cheap & easy to do. Some prefer the black corrugated-looking tubing, but I use the clear stuff. Just slit it lengthwise and wrap it around. Bunny *may* still chew on it, but they won't get to the cord before you catch them. It may give you that extra piece of mind.

I especially make use of it at Christmastime when there are extra light cords laying around.

So... I have to ask because I've been debating over this over and over again.

Those of you who make or have outdoor areas/pens/runs for your rabbits.... How do you keep them from digging out?

I have a large 12' x 8' by 6' dog run that I want to convert into an outdoor pen for Crush when I move to a home with a yard(it'll keep all predators away from him and keep him safe while having outdoor time) and I already have plans for a roof and a cover for shade/shelter(not to mention the huts I'd have inside for him to go hide in). But I've always been concerned about them digging themselves out. I don't want any risks of my bun getting hurt or lost, at all, ever!

That said, he does love his outdoor time, which for now, consists of a harness and leash as I have no yard.

He's currently in a store-bought cage until I can build him a NIC cage(finances are tight right now and he's already lived in this cage three years prior to me getting him) and he's kept in my living room. His cage is actually up off the floor because I have a very nosy Beagle who would harass him if he was on the floor(it's on a shelf that covered the floor space of the cage and it's secured there and against the wall. I lock up the dogs and give him playtime outside of it for a few hours every evening.

Blue eyes, is that like a dresser with those shelves made for closets attached?? Creative!

Blue eyes wrote:
Here are my indoor buns. They have the whole downstairs from morning til night. They share it with our whole family of 5 and our labradoodle.

34fy5ow.jpg

2rggeb6.jpg

My bun lives in a store bought cage :)() but has the run of my room whenever I'm at home, which is, well, pretty much always. We're moving in a couple days, and after we move, she'll have the run of my room 100% of the time, unless I come across any major issues.

Anya is a 100% inside bunny. Her cage is a rectangular guinea pig cage with a litter box, three food dishes (pellets, hay and fresh produce), and chew log inside. Her drinking bottle is attached to the outside of the cage and the spout pokes in. When it's hot like it is now, I also put a frozen water bottle in her cage to keep it cool. She comes out daily for a few hours of exercise and play in the living room.

blondiesmommie wrote:
Blue eyes, is that like a dresser with those shelves made for closets attached?? Creative!

Blue eyes wrote:

2rggeb6.jpg

I'm so sorry, blondiesmommie! I somehow completely missed this reply.

I made this using an old kitchen oven cabinet turned sideways. And you are correct - I used closet shelves for the doors. This is my favorite cage I've made and it only costs me about $20 or $25! (We had most of the materials on hand.)

One of my sons put together a youtube showing how it's made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25iY1Ukc5k&feature=youtu.be

My rabbits live in a shed outside, each in their own separate cages. The Mini Rex and Leyna are in 18x24's (though Leyna will be moving to a 24x30 soon) and Kaelum is in the other 24x30.

I try to let them out a few times a week, but it does get hard with work. My mom takes care of them/watches them while I'm at work, but I don't know that she'd be comfortable with transporting them back and forth from ex pens to their cages.

This is my current set-up:
RabbitryCleaning013.jpg

Emily

When my rabbit was little she lived in a store bought cage.
Then she lived in a 2 x 5 NIC cage until she was fully litter trained. Now she has free roam of my room all day. :)

My buns have 2 pens (each 8' by 4') setup in their own room. It keeps any mess contained and gives them space so they can safely hop around.

Oliver's Cage.
w7eq8o.jpg

As you can see, the patches, he has chewed through it many times. Hahaha. I love his silly butt. :) I let him roam around my room whenever I am home and can check on him. At night and when I'm not home he is in his cage.

Daisy's Cage.
2hgto5t.jpg

Since where I got her before had her in a cage less than half of the size of this, she loves it. She hates being taken out of her cage so I do take her out so she has time to be out, but usually I let her be. I'm going to be buying a playpen soon to connect to her cage so she can go in and out as she pleases.

my bunny went from a free super pet cage to a, homemade nic cage. She lives in our kitchen! she also takes up the entire kitchen.

Latest posts

Back