where do you buy your hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tutu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here. I've had my bunny tutu for 3 years now. I usually buy my hay online from KMS (formerly known as Kleenmama). The hay quality is gerenally good. But I'm just wondering where you guys get your hay? By the way I live in LA area. Thanks ^^

Hello

I'm new here too !!!

I actually have farm supply store near where I live and I buy a full bale (currently alfalfa hay) but I would try craigslist to see if any farms around your area sell timothy or orchard grass hay !!!

Local feed stores that sell horse hay is the cheapest for hay. I had trouble finding hay locally so I recently purchased my first hay from Sierra Valley Hay. The hay from there is beautiful, smells wonderful & great quality. My bunnies can't wait for me to put it in their hay bin. They are grabbing it out of my hands as I'm refilling it! So I am very pleased with the company & the hay purchased. Oh, they rarely came running when I was using the pet store bags of hay. I don't blame them after seeing the excellent quality of this hay, I too would stick up my nose to pet store bagged hay! lol

I live in the UK so this will be totally different from you. I buy my hay from Wilkinsons (A british supermarket) or Tesco. I brought all my rabbits up on Alfalfa Hay and then gradually went to Timothy Hay, I noticed they weren't eating that as much so now they get Meadow Hay and they love it.

I'm going to start buying my Hay from a farm soon, though. :apollo:

I'm a Los Angeles bunny owner.

When I lived in the San Fernando Valley, I would buy my hay at the Red Barn
http://www.redbarnfeedandpet.com/

We would buy their bags of hay which were a few flakes off a bale in a big bag (like a big trash bag).

Now that I live in Pomona, I either buy hay through my school's Oxbow rep or from Bunny Bunch http://www.bunnybunch.org/
Which is the rescue I adopted Cricket from and they have a store with just about every bunny thing you could ever want!

thanks everyone! there is actually a feed store that sells huge bales of timothy hay. their main customers are horse owners. but the hay was so coarse with huge stalks. I don't think my bun will enjoy it. so i gave up even though it's cheap.

I'm a Los Angeles bunny owner.

When I lived in the San Fernando Valley, I would buy my hay at the Red Barn
http://www.redbarnfeedandpet.com/

We would buy their bags of hay which were a few flakes off a bale in a big bag (like a big trash bag).

Now that I live in Pomona, I either buy hay through my school's Oxbow rep or from Bunny Bunch http://www.bunnybunch.org/
Which is the rescue I adopted Cricket from and they have a store with just about every bunny thing you could ever want!

I've heard of red barn. It's pretty far away from where I live. I will try bunny bunch. is their hay good? How much do they sell it for?

thanks everyone! there is actually a feed store that sells huge bales of timothy hay. their main customers are horse owners. but the hay was so coarse with huge stalks. I don't think my bun will enjoy it. so i gave up even though it's cheap.

It's possible they carry different types. The feed store by us services mostly horse customers but they have a chalkboard with whatever current hay type they have -- usually bermuda, timothy, alfalfa and I can't remember what else.

When I got my boys, I got hay from my family's ranch. It was coarse with long stalks and they devoured it. I have a mini bale now that has smaller pieces and while they do eat it, they do not get nearly as excited for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

If it's really coarse, it may be first cut hay, which has the most nutritional value. Most bunnies love the stemmy pieces, believe it or not.

I live in horse country in the burbs of Vancouver, BC. I buy a bale every year from one or the other of the local feed stores. I just got a 110 lb bale of second cut timothy hay and my two practically inhale it!

I'd never buy pet store hay. My two go through the equivalent of a pet store bag every day. I'd be broke in no time!

Hope that helps!

Rue

I've heard of red barn. It's pretty far away from where I live. I will try bunny bunch. is their hay good? How much do they sell it for?

It has been a while since I was in to buy hay, but I want to say it's roughly $1/1lb and the bags are somewhere around 10 lbs. They have a location in montclair and a location in orange county and I actually also saw their bags of hay for sale at a vet in Westminster where I went to an exotic companion mammal symposium this weekend.

If you live in Cheshire than the pets at home in Crewe/sandbach xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back