Where do I start?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I'm having trouble locating a breeder.

So I decided to open my options to Lionheads, fuzzy lops and holland lops. These seem to be the best choices for me (smaller, cute and usually friendy).

Now I have some selection (still a little difficult to get everyone to respond to my emails though) haha!

Now I really like the rabbit community, and I would like to be move involved then just owning a bunny. So where do I start if I want to show or breed bunnies down the road? I don't understand where/how I find shows and Arba is a little confusing for someone who's never owned/showed a bunny before.

Understand I'd like to own a bunny first before getting into it, but I want to know what my options are later on. You know?

Also what would I look for (I'm guessing a pedigree and parents that have won awards? Plus probably a pretty penny? :p)

Thanks in advance, I feel so out of the loop.

Hi, First place to start looking for breeders in your area are the National Clubs many times there are a list of breeders by state. Or you can just kinda do a search via Google (Rabbits for Sale in ______) or ( Holland Lops for sale in _____)
Since you are new to this the best way to start out is to purchase the best breed and best type rabbit you can find ARBA Legs are a plus and yes you want the rabbit to have a full 3 generation pedigree that is complete Look at peoples websites and try to develope a eye for the breed you decide learn about a Hollands Crown and ear placement as well as body type, Fuzzys learn about there pose and how to take care of there wool, Lionheads learn about the break between the main and the body wool...all I can tell you is to do your research on each breed and try and talk to as many breeders as possible. Hollands can run alot of money since they are a very popular breed, as well as Fuzzy Lops and I believe Lionheads can get costly also.

Finding shows in the ARBA site: On the left hand side of the sight you see the navagation bar the 6th line down says Shows: Click that and for you living in Canada you would click the Non-US button under all of the listed states it will bring you to a list and within that list you will have to look and see what is close to you and either email the secretary for the show catalog or sometimes they list them.

Thank you so much,

So I do have a couple more questions, to join a show do I have to be a part of Arba? Or can I just email the secretary and they'll sign me up? (As long as I have a bunny with a pedigree).

Also would I be considered youth since I'll be 18 when the show is in Ontario.

Thanks so much again.

To show a rabbit you do not need to be a member or have a pedigree for a rabbit. The absolute only things you need to show a rabbit is a recognized color and breed. Know the age and whether its a buck or doe. This rabbit must also have a tattoo in the LEFT ear. Thats how easy it is to show.

As far as entries it depends on the show some might say you have to enter the rabbit in before a certain date or others are late entry only(aka enter the day of the show)

Are there ARBA shows in Canada? EDIT i saw what tobi posted. Thats cool!

And yes hollands will be difficult to find cheap, at least a show quality animal will be. Lionheads are not a recognized breed in the ARBA so you will need to bring a working standard wherever you show your rabbit Make sure its a standard that is under the name of the current COD holder. If you are just starting in showing and finding shows difficult then i would save yourself a migraine and not start with a breed that isnt recognized

The actual showing is not that hard. You just have to bring your rabbit to the judging table and the judge does the rest (unlike a dog or horse show where you have to present them to the judge). There is a lot of waiting around if you only have 1 rabbit though. It usually costs about $3-4 per rabbit per show and most shows have 2-3 during the weekend.

The rabbit needs to meet the breed standard, have a tattoo in the left ear and be intact. Some breeds, like Holland Lops, are very competitive so you need a really nice one to do well.

If you are looking for a show rabbit, tell that to the breeder. It can be a bit more expensive over a pet quality rabbit and there are no guarantees with young rabbits. If you can go to a show, talk to some breeders there and ask the judges opinion when they have some time (or pay attention to the comments when that rabbit is being judged). You would need to evaluate the rabbit on it's own merit. You can get nice rabbits from parents that aren't anything special and you can get not so nice rabbits from championed parents.

To locate shows, try googling Rabbit Breeders Ontario. I know there are 3-5 clubs in Ontario, but I am not sure the area that each covers. Most clubs will post the show info on their websites and may clubs have shows around the same times each year.

I would not worry too much about ARBA right away. Go to a few shows and see if you like it. If you do want to show and your rabbit does well or you decide you want to start breeding then look into what ARBA is about. It's not really worth it to join ARBA, do a show and decide you don't really like it. Also look into joining a local breeders club. You get the club info, can vote on things and have a say in what goes on.

my only extra comment is... if you are getting into Fuzzy lops you NEED to find a breeder who is willing to show you the ropes. You can't just brush them. The hair underneath will still mat.

I have fuzzy lops, Jersey woolys and angoras I do not brush them a Lot really. The way I get them ready is Iuse a force dyer to blow out the loose hair and dirt. I do the angora every day 2 weeks before the show and the little ones every other day or so. It is not hard and you can use a shop vac or even a air pump for a bed that works too. I love the woolys and fuzzys they have the best personality I think. Good luck.

Jashaira wrote:
I have fuzzy lops, Jersey woolys and angoras I do not brush them a Lot really. The way I get them ready is Iuse a force dyer to blow out the loose hair and dirt. I do the angora every day 2 weeks before the show and the little ones every other day or so. It is not hard and you can use a shop vac or even a air pump for a bed that works too. I love the woolys and fuzzys they have the best personality I think. Good luck.

That's what I was getting at. I have fuzzies and some breeders said I could brush them.. no. Def not lol. Thankfully I have found a breeder that has been showing me what to do, because with them I did jump in a bit to far lol

Thank you so much for all the tips guys.
I have a lot of reading to do now. aha.

I think I found my breeder now, and she said she'd show me the ropes.

She has hollands and fuzzys, still not sure which one I should choose though.

Well the breeder I was looking into who only lived '15 minutes away from Toronto' actually lives almost 2 hours away from Toronto... Did I mention I don't drive? She also hasn't gotten back to me in two days.

Why am I having so much trouble with breeders? -pout-

I was really hoping to get the bunny this weekend. ):

So sorry to hear hang in there! Are there any other breeders? You might want to email a couple more just in case she never replies (Ive had that happen, it gets really busy sometimes and they just forget dont take it personally)

She did get my to me just a couple of minutes ago.

She has one ten week old holland available.
She said that she'd send me a picture later.

Not sure if I want to wait, because I don't want to settle. I wanted to get a baby as young as possible, and choose between them you know? Because I was thinking of showing.

I just don't know. ):

Ten weeks is still young - the youngest a responsible breeder should sell them at is 8 weeks.

If you are serious about showing and want a good rabbit, I would not get a really young one. It can be hard to determine if the rabbit is show quality at a young age. As a new person getting into showing, it can be hard to know what to look for in a young rabbit. You would want the breeder to show you the show quality rabbits and you can choose from there. It is a very good idea to familiarizer yourself with the breed standards (for the breeds you are looking at) so you know what to look for.

Keep contacting breeders. Some do travel and you might be able to work something out with one. If you know someone going to the area they live, you might be able to arrange transport back.
See if some local clubs have Facebook pages or a Yahoo group. You can post there and see if anyone knows of someone you can contact. These groups tend to be more active in the weeks leading up to a show. If a Facebook group makes an event, say you are attending so you can post on the wall and get info.
If there is a show that is close to you, see if you can take a cab or find a friend who is willing to drive you. Shows are great places to see lots of rabbits and meet breeders.

The thing is, I am looking for a pet more then a show bunny. I wanted to get a baby that wouldn't mind being handled and bonded easily. I've never owned a rabbit, so an adult might do the same thing, but I was really hoping for a baby.

I just wanted to try showing and seeing if it was for me.

and thank you for mentioning the 8 week thing, I thought it was six. So good to know.

The next show near me won't be until May here, we don't have many (at least from what I understand from the arba listing we don't have many).

I have my cage and everything all ready, I've been waiting for over a month... I just want a bunny ):

Some breeders might let them go at six weeks and I do know people who have had them that young and the rabbit did ok. I also know of others who've gotten them that young and had problems.

Good luck.

We'll see what the breeders say, who knows I might fall in love with the 10 week old broken torte buck. If it's not good for them to leave before 8 weeks, well then I'll just have to wait. I don't want to take them too early.

I know how important that is with dogs.

Ontario tends to have more shows that Alberta. The one club in Southern Alberta does 1 show a year at the beginning of May. The Club for Edmonton does about 3-5 a year. That is it for ARBA shows in the province and they tend to mostly be in the spring and summer. On top of that, most of the attending breeders are that same people. I think it would almost be nice to be able to choose which shows to go to, those that get a couple shows a month are lucky.

The hardest part of getting a rabbit is the waiting. I had enough trouble waiting to get to meet Lillian's breeder (scheduling issues mostly), then having to wait another week to bring her home was almost too much. The wait is totally worth it when you get the right rabbit. I totally understand just wanting to get a rabbit, but you need to stay focused on what you want.

Personally, I prefer a slightly older rabbit. All but 1 of my rabbits have been at least 6 months old when I got them, but that doesn't mean that the bond is any better or worse. With Rabbit Hopping, I can start training just about right away with a rabbit that is a bit older while I would have wait a few months if I got a baby.

I could see wanting a rabbit that you would be able to show at the May show (if you plan on attending). At least then you can enter the rabbit and get comments on it. A 2-3 month old rabbit now would be a good age to start showing in May, it won't be a senior age yet, but is a bit more developed for a junior.

Remember that baby rabbits do require special care and training. Everything is new to them and they need to be given love and attention to grow into confident adults. Young rabbits can be frustrating, especially when they hit puberty so you will need to be prepared for it. Their diet is also a bit different than an adult. Babies are fun, but can be little terrors at times.

Also, you should post pictures of the rabbit from the breeder on the forum. The breeders here can help you determine if the rabbit could be a good show rabbit or might have some issues. Learn from their experiences as they have been dealing with breeding and showing for many years.

Latest posts

Back