When should I feed veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I have two six week old female flemish giants who are currently eating alfalfa pellets and hay. Can anyone tell me when I should start feeding them vegetables?

The soonest recommended is at 12 weeks of age. However, since Flemish take longer to mature than the average rabbit -- due to their size -- it wouldn't hurt to wait longer. There is no harm in waiting longer but there is potential harm in starting too soon.

I'd suggest waiting until 16 weeks. The following page of my site explains how to safely introduce greens. There is also a list of which greens are safe to feed daily (once they are properly introduced) and a list for which should be limited.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Thank you so much! I will definitely wait until they are at least 16 weeks old. Your website is amazing and I actaully learned that I have been making some mistakes in what I am feeding my lionshead rabbit aswell. This was super helpful.

Aww! You are so lucky to have Flemmies! I want a Flemmy so bad!
I see in your profile pic that you have 3 bunnies together. Do you plan on housing your Flemmies with the Lionhead? If so, you will need to get all of the rabbits spayed and neutered, wait 1 month, and then start the bonding process. Female rabbits can get spayed at 5 months, and male rabbits can get neutered at 12 weeks (or as soon as their testicles drop). The reason for spaying and neutering them is that they will reproduce. If you have only males or only females, they will fight if they are not spayed/neutered.

Edit: I just saw your thread on this, sorry!

Latest posts

Back