when do i sign up for a vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zkeaton

Reaction score
my mom and i are going to pick missy up on may 6 (my birthday) and i need to know if i sign up now even though i dont have her yet, or if i just wait until we have her. What did yall do?

i cant find anything about it so this is my only option...

Hi there
I researched all the rabbit-savvy vets in my area beforehand, and then called in just to speak and have a chat. Basically just asked if they see to a lot of rabbits, whether to come in as soon as I get the rabbit, etc. Then I chose the one who seemed most knowledgable about rabbits, and the one who sounded most caring. I'm not sure what you mean by sign up, did u just mean find one? It's great that you're already thinking about vet care even though you don't have her yet!

Hi there
I researched all the rabbit-savvy vets in my area beforehand, and then called in just to speak and have a chat. Basically just asked if they see to a lot of rabbits, whether to come in as soon as I get the rabbit, etc. Then I chose the one who seemed most knowledgable about rabbits, and the one who sounded most caring. I'm not sure what you mean by sign up, did u just mean find one? It's great that you're already thinking about vet care even though you don't have her yet!

i made sure to find one that specializes in rabbits! i mean like dont you have to make an account or something..? kind of like the people doctors have you in their records... just so you can come in if there is an emergency without doing pages of paperwork... my mom said this vet was a lot different from the vet we had for our dog a few years back. we dont know anything but the vet is right next to us and the name is
ABC Bird and Rabbit Animal Vet

Hi there

and i want to make sure this bunny is getting top of the line care just because thats how i was taught to care for animals haha

I think, in that case, you must call them and ask if you should come in before the 6th. Here, we do not go in to the vet to sign up without the pets. Most of the time its a call, I go in and the rabbit is checked, and only once everything is okay, the paperwork is done. Since you aren't sure about their process, I'm sure they won't mind a call.

I think, in that case, you must call them and ask if you should come in before the 6th. Here, we do not go in to the vet to sign up without the pets. Most of the time its a call, I go in and the rabbit is checked, and only once everything is okay, the paperwork is done. Since you aren't sure about their process, I'm sure they won't mind a call.

I'll call them soon! thank you! i also just texted missy's owner for advice too! thanks for the help!

I took Apollo to the vet about a week after I brought him home. They did a check-up on him, and then we signed him up for insurance. When you got into the vet, it would be best to have any previous papers. I took in my vaccination book and a record that the shelter gave me. I wouldn't recommend going into the vet without a rabbit because they wouldn't really have anything to go off but you could give them a call.

I took Apollo to the vet about a week after I brought him home. They did a check-up on him, and then we signed him up for insurance. When you got into the vet, it would be best to have any previous papers. I took in my vaccination book and a record that the shelter gave me. I wouldn't recommend going into the vet without a rabbit because they wouldn't really have anything to go off but you could give them a call.

yeah that seems reasonable. i have a tab open for their website and they have a "new client form" basically asking what breed she is and the owner(s) name(s). i just wanted to make sure i didnt do anything stupid lol. i'll call them in a bit! Thanks for the help!

Your birthday is in a few days! I'd be totally excited! Like burst my seams excited! You could fill in that form, it will just help inform them but yeah, a call would be better. I would love to see some pictures of her. I can tell that she's going to a good home! Happy early birthday!

Your birthday is in a few days! I'd be totally excited! Like burst my seams excited! You could fill in that form, it will just help inform them but yeah, a call would be better. I would love to see some pictures of her. I can tell that she's going to a good home! Happy early birthday!

thank you! this is a picture i have on the coputer! ihave more on my phone too

Attachments

• missy looking at camera.png
    missy looking at camera.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 1
Not all exotic vets specialize in rabbits ans some that claim to, don't have much experience. I have found that just because a vet sees rabbits doesn't mean they are knowledgeable about them.

You don't need "an account" with a vet, but choosing one now for the future is a wise idea. You can call a variety of potential vets and find out how well they really know rabbits by asking the questions suggested on the following site. Their answers will tell you whether or not they really know what they are talking about concerning rabbits. The page basically tells you how to find and choose the right vet.
https://rabbit.org/faq-how-to-find-a-good-rabbit-vet/

You can just call the vet to make an appointment and they’ll set you up for your bun. What I did I called every vet where I live and choose the best one that had most experience with buns and read there reviews.
Good luck :)

You can just call the vet to make an appointment and they’ll set you up for your bun. What I did I called every vet where I live and choose the best one that had most experience with buns and read there reviews.
Good luck :)
i fouud a 4.9 star review one that is about 20 mins from our house. sthey specilaize n"weird" pets.. such as birds, rabbits, and turkeys!

i fouud a 4.9 star review one that is about 20 mins from our house. sthey specilaize n"weird" pets.. such as birds, rabbits, and turkeys!
Sounds like you've found a total winner! @Apollo’s Slave pet insurance sounds like a really good idea, have you found it to be helpful with rabbits? I'm familiar with it for other animals, but I've never considered for the buns, I've been really lucky as far as health, but luck seldom lasts

Sounds like you've found a total winner! @Apollo’s Slave pet insurance sounds like a really good idea, have you found it to be helpful with rabbits? I'm familiar with it for other animals, but I've never considered for the buns, I've been really lucky as far as health, but luck seldom lasts
Yeah, my policy is really good. Most insurances won’t cover pre-existing illnesses but some will. But as long as you have a healthy rabbit they will help the cost of vet bills. Some insurances will pay right to the vet but others you will have to claim back.
I’m in England, where I think it’s a little more common to have insurance for rabbits.

Yeah, my policy is really good. Most insurances won’t cover pre-existing illnesses but some will. But as long as you have a healthy rabbit they will help the cost of vet bills. Some insurances will pay right to the vet but others you will have to claim back.
I’m in England, where I think it’s a little more common to have insurance for rabbits.

do you think i will need pet insurance? i think we have it where i live but is it nessary? i dont know how insurance works so..

do you think i will need pet insurance? i think we have it where i live but is it nessary? i dont know how insurance works so..
Unless you have savings you really should get insurance as vet bills can easily get up to $1000 or more.

Back