whats the difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaelock

Reaction score
My local feed store sells timothy hay kob but I haven't seen it anywhere else. Is it cut up different? Is there any difference to "plain" timothy hay?

I'm curious about this myself. The company that makes it is a hidden brand of Hartz, which is HORRIBLE when it comes to most things, so I really don't trust them. They're likely to be unhealthy and expensive, although if the ingredients on the bag prove that it is just compressed hay and nothing else, then it's probably just expensive. ;)

Can you take a look at the contents and let us know? (Even take a close up pic of the ingredients list?)

Meanwhile if you're going to a feed store, isn't there a way of getting hay by the bale or flake without having to buy the small commercial bagged stuff? Rabbits really need a LOT of hay and most of the time the bags are really not the way to go if you can scare up an alternative. The amount is small, the price is big and the quality is so-so. At least my bunnies tell me hay tastes much better straight from the bale.

Even if you have transportation and storage issues, its cheaper to buy a bale and just take what you can carry in a garbage bag.

Even if you can't find somebody selling bales close enough to you, maybe look for a farm with a horse, an equestrian center or even a zoo and offer them a few dollars to take part of a bale. It doesn't have to be timothy, any grass hay will do. (Just not alfalfa, or at least 10% alfalfa or less).

You can always mix it with a pet store bag.

sas :bunnydance:

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
That hay isn't very green. I wouldn't buy it.
I bought a bag from my local Tractor Supply and it is green, just doesn't look like it in the picture. Although, my rabbits prefer the bales of grass hay I get from my grandpa's farm.

With a large breed bunny, you would be spending a ton on hay at that price ($6 for 3 pounds). If I had to buy hay in bags like that, I would have needed a job a couple years ago.

If storage is an issue, you might be able to find someone who is willing to split a bale with you. Depending on the size of the bale, a large plastic bin can hold a bale.

When looking for hay bales (if your feed store doesn't carry them), go direct to a farmer. You might be able to find one advertising on craigslist of Kijiji. If you can go pick it up, they should be willing to let you buy a bale or two. Horse stables should also have good hay, they might even let you take a few flakes which would be easier to store.

Thanks for the replies - Next time I go to the feed store I will ask if they get bales of Timothy hay and go from there. I'm sure Polo would love that better than bagged.

Latest posts

Back