Whats on the daily menu?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what everyone feeds on a regular basis, daily.

How do you suppliment it (with what treats) and how often?

Morning and night: 1/2 of 1/4 pellets
veggies- romaine parsely cilantro
water
unlimetied hay
To get them in : Buddy- a couple pellets.
Roxie - Craisans

Occansional treats: half carrot

Wash gets about 1/8cup timothy pellets because he is a chubby bunny, whatever good greens I have on hand (most often romane lettuce, celantro, parsley and basil with the occasional mint), 1 craisen a day as an evening treat, and a few quatered banana chips.

Edit: totaly forgot to add that he gets unlimited timothy hay;)

Mine get a handful of pellets in the morning and hay and water.

When I get home from work, pellets and hay. Later in the evening-veggies.

A few evenings a week a couple craisens.

Before bed, a few pellets, they still have hay.

In the mornings my girls get a small handful oftimothypellets, and Bruno gets 2 handfuls of timothypellets (measure? Why measure! ;)). They get a refill of hay if they need it, check the water and take any old veggies out if they've wilted.

If I'm home, they usually get veggies throughout the day. I also give out more fresh hay if needed.

At night, the girls get another small handful of timothy pellets andBruno gets 2 more handfuls of pellets. They get more hayand water checked. They get 1-2 cups of different veggies depending on what I have. Romaine, parsley, carrots and celery tops and leafsare the usual base for their salads, with carrot tops, kale, watercress and apple are usually only occasional veggies because I don't feed often or can't have it available as oftenoften. I try to make sure I have 4-5 veggies to add some variety.

For treats, they get rolled oats, fruit and alfalfa cubes.

Lots of love added with meals as well, of course! ;)

Butter gets a 1/4 cup of Oxbow's Bunny Basics/T daily, and has unlimited timothy hay.
For occasional treats, he gets the raw veggie scraps from whatever I'm cooking ;) (Making sure that they're safe for rabbits first, of course)

His diet isn't as fancy or extensive as most of the rabbits here :embarrassed:
...But I do find that he has very few health problems with such a simple diet. (The only problems he's ever had in the three years I've had him were.... he broke his front teeth one time and had to go to the vet... and he used to have sore hocks... Both not diet-related )

~Diana and Butter

In the mornings the bunnies will have their veggies,then if i'm home all daythey go outside to play and theyhave plenty of green grass to eatand i also put a ton of hay outside for them to eat as well,then in the evening's it's their pellets and a bit more veggiesand more fresh hay :)

they also get a little carrot each to nibble on

cheryl

On a morning Ruby and Millie get (between them) 6 egg cup fulls of science selective pellets (roughly 2 handfuls),a large bowl of a mix of leafy greens (Rocket, curly kale, spring greens, romaine lettuce, parsley, watercress, spinach, broccoli and carrot tops) and unlimited hay.

On a evening they get another large bowl of greens between them and more hay. They also eat as much grass as they want while out in their run.

Mine are simple eaters, too, Diana.

1/4 cup each of Oxbow basics t pellets every morning

All the hay their little hearts desire.

They get craisins for treats.

The only time they get veggies is when I have them. I never go grocery shopping so I run out of their bunny salad a couple weeks before I need to go for myself. It is a lot of the time that they get them though, I usually make a salad of red leaf, parsely, cilantro and sometimes the other green lettuce romaine maybe? NOT iceberg tho ew I don't even eat that.

But mine are healthy little babies so I won't change too much

Pebble and Ebonyget theirWater changed and Hay topped up in the mornings. They nibble on grass throughout the day if they are in therun. In the eveningsthey have a medium sized bowl of Excel between them, and they get a bigish bowl of veggies each (Parsley, Romaine, Spinach, Cabbage, Celeryandother greens, I try to give 3-4 of these per day. Theyusually get a few pieces of apple and carrot too.) And because they are such terrible hay eaters, I pick them a few big handfuls of fresh grass, which they always eat first. :)

Maddie getssomething similar, a small bowl of pellets daily, a mediumsized bowl of whatever veggies Pebble and Ebony are getting and unlimited hay. She eats her hay though, so she doesn't always get grass, I give her a bit sometimes thoughbecause she likes it. :)

Layla gets 1/4 cup of pellets every morning (i use katyee supreme daily blend rabbit pellets)
-i'm trying to decide if i should split this up, she seems to scarf them down as soon as i put them in there...what do you guys think?

at night she gets usually around 1 1/2 - 2 cups of veggies, whatever i have on hand, cilantro being her favorite.

then unlimited hay through out the day.

for her treats, she usually gets 1 craisin a day and that's to lure her back in her cage at night time if she won't come back (she never wants to come in!) and occasionally she'll get a blueberry yogurt drop which she goes absolutely NUTS over! also occasionally if i'm eating some fruit and it's bunny safe she'll get a little nibble of that.

Mine get a small amount of pellets in the morning and evening and unlimited amounts of meadow and timothy hay all day. Before I go to bed at night they get a variety of vegetables normally including (some not on a daily basis) Kale, cauli, broccoli, baby corn, basil, mint, parsley, celery and watercress, spinach. I am going to start trying them on some new veg soon as I like to give them variety - I might try peppers next.

Treats - 1 very, very small piece of dried banana in the morning and locust beans (with the seedlings removed).

Sakura and Bailey have free feed of pellets day and night, being babies. Plus hay, fresh green grass, a small slice of carrot each. No vegies really yet as both are still young. Sometimes a bit of banana or kiwifruit instead of the carrot.

BunBun and Lucky get half a cup of pellets each a day, I find they don't hold their weight as well with less than that. Also unnlimited grass and hay, whatever fruits and vegies I have the the time. Apple sticks and leaves, dandelion, puha (a weed here), thistle type stuff, carrot tops etc.

Each of mine get 1/4 cup of oxbow bunny basics/T in the morning along with 1 cup of greens and unlimited timothy and other grass hays.

In the evening they get another cup of greens. Just before bed they get a crasin or some other treat.

I've noticed, since making this post solong ago, my rabbits' diets consist mainly of hay and veggies. Pellets aren't a huge part of their diet at all.

:shock:

I can't believe when i got William i was feeding him that horrible colourful stuff. The other day i ran out of pellets and i asked my Mum to grab some food. She bought 'Rabbit and Guinea Pig Food' - how does that even exist?

Lottie gets a small handful of pellets in the morning. She then gets a large bowl of veg (brocolli or cauliflower usually). Evening she gets a tiny piece of apple when i do her eye swab and then a little more green for the night.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Elf is a simple eater, as well. She has oxbow pellets (I fill her little bowl halfway up once or twice a day, depending on if she's eating a lot that day or not). She has unlimited timothy hay. Sometimes she'll get a raisin, cheerioor banana chip. Occasionally she'll get a baby carrot. More rarely will she get greens.

It's possible that she would benefit from more greens in her diet, but at 5 1/2 years old, I'm wary of changing her diet or routine in any major way, as she has been a healthy and happy bun all her life.

It seems like most people here give pellets in the morning and veggies in the evening. I've always done it the other way around. Should I switch?

I don't think it matters BethM. I only feed pellets in the morning because its easier to grab a handful and pour it in their bowl before school than it is to cut up veg when i don't have as much time.

Both pairs of buns get the same thing, or thereabouts.

1/4 cup of oxbow BBT pellets in the morning, (so 1/8 cup for each bun) between 2, along with veggies. Usually some conbination of kale, spring greens, celery, green pepper, carrot tops, red leaf lettuce, rocket, romaine, parsley, coriander and basil. Same thing in the evening as well. They also get a little bit of apple of pear once a day, or some carrot. Banana occasionally as a treat, as we don't buy them very often.

Water is changed twice daily, sometimes more if they get hay in the bowl! Obviously hay all day, and they can eat grass in the garden when they're out to play. I top up the hay every night, so when we go to bed we see them gobbling away. Snowy actually runs for hay!

I'm not sure if maybe Mouse and Chalk have too many pellets at 1/4 cup each a day (which works out 1/8 in the morning and 1/8 at night), but Chalk needs to put some weight on after her illness, and Mouse does ok at the moment. Pellets don't always get eaten though, which is why they get so many veggies, and they all seem to do pretty well on this!

It's expensive though buying all that veg :shock:

Latest posts

Back