What would I do if I got another rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konotashi

Reaction score
Salem is really docile, but I don't know how he'd act around another bunny. Would he be territorial and try to attack the newcomer? He's going to be a year old next month, and that will be about the time I get my new rabbit.

What steps should I take to ensure that they'll get along? How do I get them used to one another? I do have an extra cage if I'll need it.

Also, if the new bunny is sold at auction, how would Salem handle that, if they were buddies? Would it be best just to keep them separate unless the newbie is donated back? (Which will be doubtful if I get a BEW.)

Most bunnies are territorial to some extent. They might show it just by chinning everything and dropping some poos to say, Mine...Mine...oh, that's MINE also....

Is Salem sp/neutered? They tend to be less agressive and will bond more easily. Even if you are not ever able to bond Salem with another rabbit, they do like to be within eyesight of another bun because rabbits are very social.

There are lots of good threads and articles here on the forum about bonding rabbits, so you'll want to do a search and read up on it. One of the biggest pieces of advice is, GO SLOW. It might take weeks or months before you can leave two rabbits together in a cage or common play area.

BTW, that is one relaxed bunny in your avitar! I think I see bunny teeth! :inlove:

He's neutered. Oh - that was another thing I wanted to ask. Would he be fine with an unaltered male in the cage? For a little while, since I'd plan to get the newbie neutered if I get to keep him. (I enjoy having bucks. My friend has several does and they're too moody for my tastes. Haha.)

I highly suggest contacting Tranquility Trail and/or Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue, so you can take your little boy on bunny dates. I am taking one of my boys down to Phoenix on November 7th, and he is having 8 dates with 8 lovely female bunnies :p. "Chandra" & "Minnie" are MY top choices....but Morgan has to pick his girl.

You should let your bun decide who he wants to bond with...which is why you should take him on bunny dates. Just read up on bunny dates and bonding.

There are a toooon of rabbits at Brambley Hedge rabbit rescue right now, they are already spayed/neutered an the adoption fee is only $50. They all need homes...some have been there for a while :(.

Male/male bondings are tough....they suggest male/female bondings. I suppose if you are patient and aren't picky about which bun you end up with next...you could talk to BHRR about trying bunny dates with some of their male buns.

The only reasons I prefer a male are 1. They're less moody, and 2. Neutering is cheaper than spaying, as well as less risky.

I would LOVE to adopt from BHRR, but my mom is only letting me get another rabbit for the fair to sell. (If they don't go with me, I could always skip the auction....) xD

There are actually 2 females at the rescue that I LOVE, and both have been there for several months. :(

Konotashi wrote:
The only reasons I prefer a male are 1. They're less moody, and 2. Neutering is cheaper than spaying, as well as less risky.

I would LOVE to adopt from BHRR, but my mom is only letting me get another rabbit for the fair to sell. (If they don't go with me, I could always skip the auction....) xD

There are actually 2 females at the rescue that I LOVE, and both have been there for several months. :(
Females are already spayed at BHRR..so there is no extra price or risk involved with adoption :biggrin2:.

I used to be "all males only", but you really need to think of your bunny boy and what will be better for him. I definitely learned that. I got a "female" baby Lionhead from a breeder for my male bunny to bond with, once she was spayed. Well, the "gender fairy" visited and "she" turned out to be a "he". I've tried bonding...and its not working, so now I have to do what is best for Morgan and adopt a matured/already spayed girl from a rescue :).

Maybe you can talk your mom into being more open about adopting from BHRR. Going on a few bunny dates won't hurt!

She said that after my ferret, no more pets. I already have 3 sugar gliders, Salem, and a ferret, and 2 bettas... so I can't say I blame her. But I pay for everything for them. And I get the 50 lb. bags of rabbit chow, and that lasts Salem forever and a year. Plus, I always make sure that his cage is kept clean. But I still do understand why she doesn't want me to have anymore. She said that even if the rabbit I get to sell at auction is donated back, then I have to sell it on CraigsList or something. I'm sure I'd be able to talk her out of that one, though. I'm good at that. xD

Well, if your bunnies become properly bonded and are able to be in the same cage, taking care of two won't be any more difficult than taking care of one. There is more expense though, including vet bills.

Point is, find out who your bunny will bond well with and he will enjoy it more, and you probably will be able to keep the 2nd one also. It is VERY difficult for a bun who has been bonded to suddenly lose their special friend. Are you sure you are willing to risk that? Bunnies are so social, and have strong emotional attachments to each other.

Konotashi wrote:
She said that after my ferret, no more pets. I already have 3 sugar gliders, Salem, and a ferret, and 2 bettas... so I can't say I blame her. But I pay for everything for them. And I get the 50 lb. bags of rabbit chow, and that lasts Salem forever and a year. Plus, I always make sure that his cage is kept clean. But I still do understand why she doesn't want me to have anymore. She said that even if the rabbit I get to sell at auction is donated back, then I have to sell it on CraigsList or something. I'm sure I'd be able to talk her out of that one, though. I'm good at that. xD

I don't get it. I'm a tad confused...

You aren't looking for a rabbit to bond to your current? You are looking for a rabbit to purchase at an auction...then turning around and selling it for profit?

:?

No, I want to get the rabbit for FFA to sell at auction. My mom said that if it gets donated back, then I have to sell it on CL, but I wouldn't want to do that, and I'm pretty darn sure if I get attached enough, then she'll let me keep it.

I think that if your new bunny is not intended to be a permanent pet, and will never be neutered, just keep the two rabbits separate. If you do end up keeping it, then you can worry about bonding at that point. Most rabbits will not get along/bond without a lot of effort and having both animals fixed, so it's just not worth it or healthy to try this just to have them separated a few months later.

Although, if you get a female instead of a male, you probably have a better chance of them just casually getting along during playtime (since Salem is neutered already), but still proceed with caution.

Latest posts

Back