What would happen if a rabbit eats alfalfa/Timothy mix?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smile414

Reaction score
Hi there!

I know alfalfa hay is meant for younger rabbits to get the nutrients they need, and not for older rabbits. However most of the hay I find on farm or websites meant for those type of stuff is a mix of alfalfa and Timothy. I don’t feel like that would be the best, however I’m still curious, what would happen if an adult rabbit eats it?

Rabbits over 6 months need grass hay. If they get too much alfalfa, their diet will be too rich and that can result in troubles with their GI tract or obesity. It can also make them overproduce cecal pellets.

If the only timothy they have is mixed with alfalfa, then see if they have a different grass hay like brome, bermuda, orchard, etc.

Rabbits over 6 months need grass hay. If they get too much alfalfa, their diet will be too rich and that can result in troubles with their GI tract or obesity. It can also make them overproduce cecal pellets.

If the only timothy they have is mixed with alfalfa, then see if they have a different grass hay like brome, bermuda, orchard, etc.

The one near me only has two types of hay ( they have more but they are out of stock) Timothy and alfalfa mix, one which is okay for rabbits, and another which is meant for horses. I can try to look for others on amazon but they are kaytee or other brands and very overpriced.

You can try checking other feed stores. Cal Ranch also usually has hay.

I have found another brand on the same website ( this time I searched up small pet hay instead of just “hay”) and I found many boxes of hay ( oat, timothy, and more) they still are overpriced, but less than kaytee so I’ll use those. Thanks!

I get this bag for Theo from Tractor Supply and it lasts me 5-8 months. He really likes it! I would get some from a farm nearby, but all of them only grow Alfalfa/Timothy as you were saying.

Back