What to feed 2x 8 week rabbits!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phu

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got 2 eight week old mini lops called Lulu and Coco and I need advice on what to feed them daily. The local breeder wasn’t too good on her advice with their diet.

The breeder did advise me that they have been feed vegetables such as cabbage, kale and bok choy and carrots as occasional treats. They also have been fed pellets however I currently haven’t been able to get my hands on any.

They are being fed twice daily, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. With each feed, they get a handful of vegetables such as bok choy, kale and basil, oaten hay top up and water top up.

Not sure why you are repeating the same question...
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/what-to-feed-2-8-week-old-mini-lop-rabbits.97023/

The bulk of your rabbits' diet should be a grass hay. That could be timothy, orchard, meadow, Bermuda, brome, wheat, rye, oat, or barley. However, those last four (wheat, rye, oat and barley) are grown primarily for their seeds which are very starchy and not so great for bunny's gut. If you feed oat hay, it is recommended to shake out the seeds as much as possible. But then the remaining parts are quite low in nutrients. Perhaps you can get some of the other type of grass hay.

The next part of a rabbit's diet should be fresh greens. Check here for a list of greens suitable for daily use and which should be more limited.

Pellets are next on a daily diet. They aren't absolutely necessary but are a good idea especially with young, growing rabbits. It helps ensure they get all their nutrients. The breeder should have given you some of the pellets they were being fed. That is standard practice. Those pellets are then used to transition your rabbits to whatever pellet brand you have chosen. The old pellets get mixed with the new over a period of time so their tummies can get used to the new pellets. When they are young, they can eat more pellets. Once they are 6 months of age, their pellet amount should be limited -- about 1/4 cup for a 5-7 lb rabbit.

Here is a link that compares various pellet brands so you can choose a healthy one:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp?diet=young&sortby=FoodBrand#chart
(This is the link for young rabbits. There is also one for older rabbits.)

Treats/fruits can wait until they are a few months of age.

Please also know that it is possible that your rabbits will begin to fight once their hormones kick in. This is something to be on the lookout for because if it happens, they will need to be separated so they don't harm each other.

Back