What theeeeeee?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have a system in the bunny room where I block Morgan off behind a NIC pen (hes free range in the bun room, that way I can let another bunny out to play for a few hours.

Well....I was busy watching my show (vampire diaries) at full blast in the living room (bun room is right off the living room) and I had the door to the bunny room closed so my dog wouldn't go in there and steal the bun's strawberries that I passed out as treats.

I walk into the room to get Molly back into her cage and noticed she was playing in the "play corner" and almost died when I noticed Morgan was bunny flopped out not even 2 feet away from her.

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!

Normally Morgan would attack her and there would be a HUGE fight happening. I was shocked to find a tiny little clump of white fur (possibly Morgan's) in front of Brody's cage. There is also NO random poops all over, which is really odd because normally Molly runs around marking everything with her poo.

Now, as I type this....Morgan is flopped out by his litter box and Molly is inside of it eating his hay! Normally Morgs would be all up in her junk and really angry because that is HIS space.

Nothing.....nothing is happening and I have been sitting here for a good 10 minutes now.

Of course, as soon as I post this a big fight will happen *rolls eyes* (at least I'm all prepared). But for now I am going to sit here and watch them (so much for getting to bed right away).

p.s.....Morgan is feeling just fine, as in he definitely isn't sick, but its certainly odd that is behavior is happening right now.

ETA: posted this 5 minutes ago and just now Molly flopped out right next to Morgan....face to face and they are getting along totally fine. Argg....YAY....might have to spend the night in the bun room tonight?!

:shock:

Just took this with my Macbook camera....was taken 10 minutes after I posted this thread :). Sorry if I sound overly excited....BECAUSE I AM :bunnydance:.

26982_384245431026_737101026_4465404_2766057_n.jpg

I hope so! Just a minute ago they were both playing with an old phone book together. Morgan is just now entering Molly's cage....so we will see.

OMG This is groundbreaking!!! Good luck Amy! Your bunny room campout will be worth it if they play nice!

Well, hopefully I didn't ruin anything...but I put Molly back into her cage about a half hour after my last post in this thread. The cats all decided to come into the bunny room and Morgan was getting "thumpy" and Molly was grunting at them....so I decided I had probably better end it on a good note before Molls and Morg turned on each other because of the cats.

So....do you guys think I should let them back out into the room together tonight?
I just thought it was odd how this "bonding session" actually worked with nothing bad happening, but yet putting them into a pen together in the living room or putting them in the bath tub together always ends up turning into trouble.

That is so incredible! Maybe they have spent enough time around each other that they are willing to give friendship another try.

Its so funny how bunnies never do what we want them to do when we want them to do it.

It sounds like their "first meeting" went really really well. Are you considering actually trying to bond them?

undergunfire wrote:
I just thought it was odd how this "bonding session" actually worked with nothing bad happening, but yet putting them into a pen together in the living room or putting them in the bath tub together always ends up turning into trouble.

could it be that the bunnies made their own decision to 'bond' on their terms? perhaps they prefer it to meeting in the bath!:) sounds promising tho' and something to build on:)

That's interesting! Maybe the bathtub was so slippery that they couldn't focus. Sometimes bunnies too will flop in front of each other as a competition: "I'm SO relaxed, way more relaxed than you are, you can't bother me! I don't need to worry about you because I'm totally in charge!" Frida was all sorts of dead bunny, white belly flops when we were doing dates with her and Ben. I guess the whole "neutral territory" thing sometimes isn't true!

Now I am wondering if I should have just left them together and slept on the couch in the bun room :twitch:! I just didn't want to end anything on a bad note and the cats were making the buns more nervous then usual (usually Morgan just thumps at them to back off, but never acts scared).

Whenever I did bath tub bonds they had a towel down, so it wasn't slippery. I have even tried the carrier trick and put them both into one and walked around the house & set them on the dryer and they still picked on each other. Maybe small spaces just don't work as well for Morgs and Molls. The only time Molly ever got loose in the bun room was about a week after getting her and she wasn't spayed yet...so she got loose and there was major fighting and hair everywhere.

I think I am going to just set Molls free again and see what happens - won't hurt to try since it worked out accidentally last night :p.

Did you let her out? Is it going well?

If it does go well, I personally would do the sleeping on the couch overnight. If they are getting along so well, having the extended time together will allow them to solidify their bond.

All the times I have done bonding, as soon as they where showing positive signs of being able to be together I would leave them together permanently. Usually in a neutral territory (cage or pen) and then transfer them to their new home after about a week.

Also, some buns just need space in order for their bond to work. Sekura and Sugar where like that. They would fight if put in a carrier together or a cage that was too small. They would always be cuddling together and rarely left each others sides, but would fight horribly when in too tight quarters. So maybe Morgan and Molly are like that too, and need a big space in order for their bond to work.

-Dawn

All of my bondings happened like that -- the buns ending up running loose together, accidental or planned.

ETA: When I had Sugar and Sekura here, they arrived with patches of fur missing. Sugar was twice the size of her mom, Sekura, but she sure looked beat up! Everybody thought it was mights or something weird, they had arrived together and supposedly bonded.

I had them in a pretty big pen with two shelfs, but the patchy fur and minor tussles continued until I installed a third shelf on the other side of the pen.

They never fought again.

sas :bunnieskiss

I think some pairs just need more space than others for some reason. I hope it goes well when you put them back together! If they do well, I would just leave them and sleep on the couch.

Yay for accidental bonding :-D

I'm glad to hear Sugar and Sekura bonded better in a larger space rather then small - everything I have read says smaller is better because it forces them to snuggle. In this case, Morgan just gets mad when he's forced to snuggle because Molly won't groom him. So, in the bunny room (even though its Morgan's space, technically)...Morgan wasn't pressuring her to groom him, therefor he wasn't getting angry.

I haven't let her out yet, but will soon. Ryan was being a poophead earlier, so I've been mad and just reading stuff online to "cool off" :laughsmiley:.

They have been together for about an hour now and everything is totally fine...hes in her cage and shes in his corner, but they have met paths numerous times and Molly will pancake to the floor so that Morgan can groom her....and he does! He has gotten a tad bit mad that she won't groom back, but I keep telling him to be patient because she will groom him with time ;). Normally in a smaller space Morgs would chase and bite her because she won't groom back.

Its sooooo cute because Morgan never ever really binkies...its not like the other buns who get let out of a cage and get so excited because of that....Morgan just lives in the room and will not leave it due to the slippery wood floors through the rest of the house. But, anyway....Morgan was in Molly's cage and was binking and head flicking....then he did the cutest thing everrrr....he started licking her stuffed bunnies that she has in her cage!

Looks like this is going really well and I might just have to sleep on the couch in there tonight :rofl:.

Latest posts

Back