What Size Of Cage Should I Look At?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaley

Reaction score
Hi, I'm signing up for 4H and doing the rabbit project. I've never had a rabbit before and am wondering what size of cage to get. I am looking at the English Spots and the smaller lop breeds.

Heya :). Firstly- welcome to RO!

The size cage your looking for should be a minimum of about 5ft by 2ft, and 2ft high, which is what the Rabbit Welfare Society and RSPCA recommend as the absolute minimum.

Basically the bigger the better! :D And also you will need a safe, large run space for your bun to get their daily exercise, whether that be a pen, an outdoor run, or a relatively clear, bunny-proofed room.

Jen

A lot depends on the size of the rabbit, if it will be indoors or outdoors and how much time out of the cage it will get. A dwarf breed living inside with lots of out of cage time can get away with a smaller cage than one that doesn't get as much out of cage time. The cage size can be limited by the space you have and your budget.

The general rule is the rabbit should be able to take 3 full hops from one end to the other. It should also be able to lay down and stretch out in all directions and be able to stand up without touching the top. There also needs to be space for a litter box (if you use one), a nest box (if you plan on breeding and have a female), food and water containers, toys, and a place to hide.

I would go no smaller than 2X4 ft. If you have the space for a larger cage, go for it. For an English Spot, a shelf or level would be good so it can jump up. A shelf is good for most rabbits if you can give them one.
For a mini or holland lop, I would still go for a larger cage. Again, a shelf is a good idea.
A large or giant wire dog crate will work. An x-pen can also work.

I'm thinking about possibly building the cage out of grids/cubes. I know about the problems with grids, so what size should I buy, what brand, how many, and where should I get them?

For the grids, you want all of them to have the same size holes which should be about 1.5 inches. There should be 9 holes on each side. Each grid is 14X14 inches.
I don't know what brands are avaliable where you are. Here, Rubbermaid has them with just the smaller holes and the packs have 13 grids for $20.
You can try looking at stores like Target, Walmart and Home Depot. Try checking websites before you go to see of they have it. Search Cube Storage on the websites as that does seem to get it.
Garage sales are also good to get the grids if you can find them. Most of the grids I have are from sales and I have only paid full price for 1 set. If you can't find them at a garage sale, try to get them on sale at the store, they can be up to 50% off. Craigslist ot Kijiji might also have people selling them for a good price.

How many depends on how big you are making the cage. If you make it 2X4 grids with a roof, you need 32 grids. A shelf or level would add more grids.
Try to have an idea of what size you will make it and your design. There are many pictures of them of you need ideas. Measure the space you will be using to make sure it will fit.

Don't forget to get something to make the floor out of, zip ties and some duct tape. Most people use cloroplast for the floor and I use duct tape to hold it together. Zip ties keep the grids sturdy and are easier than the connectors. A utility knife and measuring tape are also helpful.

Latest posts

Back