What sexes to have as a pair for pets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
Hi, I am a small breeder of french lops and only been doing it for the past year so there is newthings im learning about all the time. I have done loads of reading on the internet as to what sex rabbits to have as a companion pair, heres the senario:

I have a lady who wants to take 2 babies from me from the same litter, I was thinking she would probably be best taking a male & female, getting them both done to stop any unplanned babies and hopefully they should live happy together?

I also thought maybe she could take 2 females, and as their from the same litter and been raised together, they again should get along ok?

Now the lady has come back to me saying she has read on the internet that she should take 2 males as they will live together better, now to my understading (and I may be wrong) this is not an ideal match and would more than likely end in fighting?

She has also said that this is because she has read females can be more tempremental? Now I do have a female of my own who can be a little grumpy sometimes but I didnt think this was a good reason for her to take 2 males?

Please someone point me in the right direction here, as she has totally confused me. What would be the best advise for me to give and also with regards to the females being more tempremental, as I dont want to send her away with 2 rabbits that are going to end up fighting with each other?

Thanks kelly

Males can fight. It would probably be best for her to get a girl and a boy and fix them or get two girls.

I have one of each sex pairing at the moment, boy/boy, boy/girl/, girl/girl.

I think that boys are harder to get bonded, but once they are bonded and make it past puberty, they do just fine. But you run the risk that once they hit puberty, they will hate each other. Girl/girl are normally fine if you get them spayed ASAP (as soon as your vet is comfortable with), they should be okay as well.

I do think that male/female pairs traditionally have the best success if the spaying/neutering can be timed to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

I wouldn't recommend a boy/boy pairing for the novice rabbit owner though, the risks of ending up with two rabbits that hate each other are too high. I would give her either a girl/girl pair or a girl/boy pair of siblings from the same litter. Make sure she's got a vet that can spay/neuter at the earliest possible age (12 weeks) for any circumstance.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back