What Rabbit Rescue are you Personally Involved In?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
We're looking for a list of Rabbit Rescue Organization that our members are personally involved with!

It would be nice to compile a list of those rescues.

Please list the name of the Rescue and any contact information that you have for the rescue.

Our auctions will start going toward specific rabbit rescue organizations that our members support!

Thank you!

Is this just US based and specifically rabbit rescues? Or can it be general places too?

Soulmate Rabbit Rescue, although we've benefitted from the forum before. Christmas before last, actually.

Also, Sheboygan Humane Society.

I volunteer and do whatever I can for the rabbitsat the Edmonton Humane Society.
I have been able to supply food (fruits, vegetables, and hay) to feed the rabbits.
At times I clean out cages.

2jbvfw5.jpg

This is Thumper, a 4 year old Neutered Netherland Dwarf cross who was recently adopted (March 25).

My only personal involvement with them is that I donate money every so often - because they are too far away from me. But I support Magic Happens Rabbit Rescue in Louisiana (where I got Zeus).

Here is their website: http://www.magichappensrescue.com/

So far - they've had 272 rabbits adopted and they currently have 17 rabbits available for adoption.

I appreciate the fact that they were willing to adopt Zeus out of state - to a rabbit breeder (former rabbit breeder really). Not many rescues are that "breeder-friendly".

I don't know of any rabbit rescue's in my area, unless SPCA or Adirondack animal shelter has any. I have done a few rescue's of my own. Typically I'll take trips down to the auction that does animals on Saturday nights. I've picked up 8 or 9 as I have room for them and I'll rehab them and make sure they are healthy and I'll locate them homes. I've only ever had to put 3 different auction rescue pulls to sleep (and they were pedigreed too).

Second Chance Bunnies http://www.secondchancebunnies.com/

I have been volunteering with them since 2008. I help out 2x a week, but occasionally more when needed. Cleaning Litter boxes, giving hay, pellets, veggies, and filling water bottles are all things I help with. I have also fostered.

You're doing a GOOD THING, RO !!

I founded Soulmate Rabbit Rescue in 2006 after 3 unaltered rabbits were roaming the streets of Milwaukee, and captured in January/February by my husband. Both females were pregnant. We will be a sanctuary haven, and/or rescue as time, funds avail, for the next 12-15 years. There is no vacation in sanctuary havens. We responsibly care for no more than we can manage. Typically more than the average home.

Because of RO's help we benefitted by all the craft things and efforts in December 2007, as naturestee mentioned. A few more received an "intake berth" and spay/neuter, vet exam, help.

Please put SRR on your compilation list. We have more than 7 rabbits now waiting to transition in. I turned away approx. 15 in the last 3 months. Our fosterers, bless their hearts :hearts (angieluv, naturestee, cmh, myheart, kherrmann3), offer life and a forever-home adoption chance...

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9763635

I would like to see the private rescues receive some help. Large shelters that produce marketing letters, have the greater masses of public support, tax write-offs, hold bark'n'wine public fundraisers eliciting funds, well, they TOO are doing Wonderful Things for unwanted rabbits. But their purse and lining is deeper than private rescue. :Lesser-known good people who take on and assist: The smaller, lesser financially-capable humans
could truly use an extra outreach of support. Thanks for all you do, RO members.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
We will be a sanctuary haven, and/or rescue as time, funds avail, for the next 12-15 years. There is no vacation in sanctuary havens. We responsibly care for no more than we can manage. Typically more than the average home.
You are awesome!
Iwould like to see the private rescues receive some help. Large shelters that produce marketing letters, have the greater masses of public support, tax write-offs, hold bark'n'wine public fundraisers eliciting funds, well, they TOO are doing Wonderful Things for unwanted rabbits. But their purse and lining is deeper than private rescue. :Lesser-known good people who take on and assist: The smaller, lesser financially-capable humans
could truly use an extra outreach of support. Thanks for all you do, RO members.
Couldn't agree more.

I was reluctant to post this, but felt a few of you should know... JadeIcing gave me the courage to go online with this. :hug2:

Related to rabbits / volunteer involvement : When I volunteered at an area shelter years ago, I purchased an exercise pen for the rabbit socialization program. To be used for rabbit playtime in addition to some that were flimsy and falling apart. Later on the shelter director decided to take that "donation" and place it elsewhere, remove it from the rabbit area. As chief of the shelter, the person could do that. That nice new item found a different spot. A friend also stepped forth at a rabbit education event and gifted funds to be used for rabbit vet care when the budget wouldn't permit a rabbit to get treatment. Later on, volunteers were informed the director would distribute the hefty funds as needed; not the rabbits necessarily benefitting. It's a tough world out there for the 3rd most surrendered pet.

The innocent buns are fortunate for every rabbit-caring human!
:dutch mytwocents,

Visual inspiration and motivator to those who opt to rescue (photo: one of the street dads, after the snow melted) :

Warning ** Graphic content **
http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/DomesticOnStreetReality.html

Julie, you do such wonderful work with the buns and I have such an immense respect for you! I know what it's like being a "small" rescue. I think that GRR could be considered the largest rabbit-only rescue in Florida, but we are small beans in the overall rescue arena. The Daytona Beach chapter is really striving to be financially independent of the main organization. We're not doing bad, but I still put out around $300 per month out-of-pocket to support our activities. This doesn't include what I spend for litter, food and hay for my fosters.
As long as I have a good job and can afford it, I'm OK with it (just don't tell hubby how much I'm spending!).

Fosterers, rescues, and sanctuaries ROCK!!! No doubt we are not in it for financial reward.

Latest posts

Back