What rabbit breed is least scared?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philthegreat

Reaction score
If I want a bunny that I can put on a harness with a retractable leash and let it roam the backyard with me, are lop breeds less scared than meat rabbits?

And can larger rabbits hold their poop much longer than smaller breed of rabbits? I want a bunny that will sit on my lap for 6-8 hours while I take my online classes at home. I prefer the bunny does not urinate on me as well.

And I would like the winning power ball numbers! I used to sit with a towel on my lap. The best we ever did was 2 of our bunnies would only use the pan in their hutch if they were out less than 2 hours--on my lap it would only be 10 minutes or less for either elimination function. Our Checkered Giant would make it about 2 hours, but she was a Super Star.

Generally speaking--very generally-- larger breeds tend to be more laid back than the smaller breeds. The smaller breeds can be very energetic.

Rabbits are one of the most misunderstood pets. I think every single new rabbit owner is surprised to discover that having a rabbit for a pet is much different than they ever anticipated. Then when such an owner gets a second rabbit, or third, or fourth, they will again be surprised with each one. They really are that different from each other.

Trying to find one with a particular trait... like tolerating a harness, or sitting on your lap... is really a hit or miss venture. Breed won't determine that. Nor will "training from a young age." The one way to increase the odds of finding a rabbit with particular traits is to meet and interact with individual rabbits that are already past hormones (or fixed). These are the rabbits that will have more evident personalities. Then you can choose one that seems to fit with what you're looking for (and one that seems to have taken a liking to you as well).

To have a rabbit nearby while doing online classes means litter training. Litter training is actually quite easy. It's actually a misnomer to call it "training" because the rabbit does all the work. We just have to provide the proper litter setup. They naturally go in one spot. So while my rabbits can be hopping about while I'm on the computer, they have access to their litter box to use as they need. Expecting one to sit on my lap for hours is unrealistic. Having them nearby and lounging close by is definitely realistic.

I'd suggest taking a peak at the following page of my website that reviews some of the common myths surrounding the keeping of rabbits:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/myths.html
There is also a page discussing bringing rabbits outdoors:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

Judging just from the two threads I've seen you start the last few days, I really don't think you should get any rabbits right now - it just does not seem like the right time in your life for this type of pet. Perhaps a cat would be more suitable to what you want/need out of a pet right now. Unless you are going to treat them like livestock (please don't), rabbits are often very high maintenance compared to cats and dogs.

Actually, I think what you really want is a dog :D

Lops are just rabbits too, with higher risk of ear problems.

Meat rabbits can be great characters, and are bred to be stress resistant and calm - it's no fun working with skittish animals. Most of mine are from that stock, but if a rabbit accepts a harness, being held or even being touched is highly individual. They have their own will and agendas. They have no intention to please us.
Best shot would be an animal from a shelter if you get the chance to get to know it beforehand.

An indicator of how a rabbit might turn out is looking at how the rest of it's breedinbg line (it's not about breeds as much as it is with dogs) behaves.

Anyway, imo having a rabbit is a lot about accepting and adapting to how they are, and enjoying that process. Don't be fooled by cute youtube videos, rabbits definitly are not the right pet for everyone, very different to other pets, very independent and rather high maintenance compared to a cat or a small dog. And, many forget about that, they live 10-14 years, chores to do every day.

Rabbit digestion works very different to that of ours, or predators like dogs and cats, doesn't work like you would like it to.

Last edited:
We got 2 from a shelter after our boy Cosmo passed. A Netherland that is skittish, 2 years old and did not have a good start--he's coming around slowly. The other is a 7 month old medium size mix that is the friendliest little guy. Nick is 5 years old now, also a mix and a super little man. The basic problem is they are individuals and just like us, their personalities will vary. Rabbits are way more upkeep than a dog or cat and out of 50+ rescues we have only had 2 that were lap bunnies, both larger breeds.

Judging just from the two threads I've seen you start the last few days, I really don't think you should get any rabbits right now - it just does not seem like the right time in your life for this type of pet. Perhaps a cat would be more suitable to what you want/need out of a pet right now. Unless you are going to treat them like livestock (please don't), rabbits are often very high maintenance compared to cats and do

Remember, rabbits are not like dogs, more like cats. They will go when they need to and cannot be trained to wait. Rabbits will spray you if they are not fixed. Rabbits are also expensive for vet care. I have had them for 22 years and all are different.

I've never known a rabbit to hold its poop and pee for 6-8 hours, if they do hold it for that long, there is something wrong with their digestive tract.
Rabbit's from my experience are not the kind of animal to sit/lay still for hours at a time. Rabbits are also all different, it doesn't matter what breed of rabbit you get, there will always be some that are more skittish than others in that certain breed. They are all so different, and you just have to prepare for and adjust for whatever personality your rabbit may have. Also with leashes, you do have to be careful as they can be dangerous for rabbits. If you want an animal on a leash, I would suggest you get a small dog (if you are wanting a small animal).

If you get a rabbit, please don't expect them to sit on your lap for hours. because they will not like that. Rabbits nap throughout the day and when they aren't napping, they are running, jumping, eating, and playing.
Also, you might need to study up a bit about rabbits and their care, and their toileting habits. Also, keep your options open for a small dog, or even a cat.

Back