What Other Animals Do You Own Besides Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've always wanted a goat, but I've been told they can be real stinkers when they want to be... I thought it was really funny, one of my neighbors has pygmies, which they NEVER pen up, and the meter reader stopped there one day to read their meter, and made the mistake of leaving his truck door open. When he turned around, there was a goat in his driver's seat, leaving muddy hoofprints everywhere! I thought that was funny.
:D

Hmm...let's see:

Dogs:

Hannah - shepherd cross

Cuda - wolfhound cross

Cats:

Mollie - persian mix

Smokey - siamese/himalayan

Ebony - short hair mix

Kaneyko - short hair mix

Mice:

Dorothy, Gloria, Penny, Cecelia, Audrey, Wesley and Davis

Nadia and Scruffy the Guinea Pigs

Nigel the Hedgehog

Hamsters:

Lucy and Rosie (the foster hamster)

Rats:

Isaac and my two foster boys Jack and Little Brother (they go to their new home this Saturday!)

Earl and Julie the Leopard Geckos

Seth the Columbian Boa

Pete the Florida Ribbon Snake

A whole swack of fish.

And of course, Jack and Eva the bunnies and Andrew the foster bunny

Elizabeth wrote:
Nigel the Hedgehog

you have a hedgehog?is he a pet?:?

cheryl

Aww I love hodgehegs. I had two in our garden the other night in the hedge. I was attempting to water the hedge but I heard an awful noise and realised I was watering a hodgeheg :?And then another one turned up and they were sniffing really loudly at each other. Noisy little things, but so cute.

My friend has a pet squirrel and she feeds it chinchilla food. She has a massive aviary in her garden.

I wasnt sure if you were aloud to keep squirrels as pets but I didnt like to say to her. It might of been injured though at one point.

naturestee wrote:
Hedgehogs are so cute! They're still pretty rare, but they are kept as pets. They don't occur naturally on our continent.

That is just facinating,i never thought that someone could have a hedgehog as a pet.

Elizabeth..does it just run around your backyard?what do you feed it?how long have you had him?sorry for all the questions but my curiosity is just running high:)

A pet that i have really wanted to own is a wombat,i would just love it:D

They are native to Australia,and they love humans,so therefore they make good pets but not to someone's garden though lol.

wombat.jpg

cheryl

About the goats, my cousin used to goats, but got rid of them because they are so sensitive to hot and cold and changes. They are really hard pets to keep happy, from what she says!

I think I've seen a hedgehog before ina petstore.. but I'm not too sure..

You can keep squirrels as pets as far as Iknow, theforum I was on before someone had them as pets.

The next pet I'dlike, wouldhave to be a cat!I'm the only person I know that's never had a cat.. it's so weird! I'd also love to have guinea pigs again!

Spring wrote:
About the goats, my cousin used to goats, but got rid of them because they are so sensitive to hot and cold and changes. They are really hard pets to keep happy, from what she says!
hmm... non of my relatives have had that problem with their goats..theirs were pygmies

Linz_1987 wrote:
OMG do you live on a farm?! :shock2:
Yup! :)...Goats are the sweetest things EVER! I've not had any problems with them at all, it's a lot in how they're raised. Lots of people treat them like dogs, and they're not, they're livestock. You'd treat them how you would a cow or a horse. Nubians orginated partially from africa so do well in heat, but too cold can be a problem for them.

If you've never tried raw, fresh goat milk...do it! It's a lot better than the "stuff" you buy in the grocery store. I don't think i'll ever be able to drink cows milk from the store ever again!

They DO make cute noises!

Ellie

My sis-in-law has a pygmy hedgehog as a pet. She's an albino, and she's really cute. When she wakes up, she's kinda grouchy, (they're nocturnal) and she makes this funny sound. My sis-in-law's hubby says she's "percolating"! That really is what it sounds like, actually....

About the pet squirrel--You might want to look that up, it is illegal in at least some states (like mine!) and she could get some really big fines and the like if she's caught.

cheryl13 wrote:
naturestee wrote:
Hedgehogs are so cute! They're still pretty rare, but they are kept as pets. They don't occur naturally on our continent.

That is just facinating,i never thought that someone could have a hedgehog as a pet.

Elizabeth..does it just run around your backyard?what do you feed it?how long have you had him?sorry for all the questions but my curiosity is just running high:)

Hi Cheryl,

Nigel is an indoor pet only. My husband always wanted a hedgehog so two years ago I got him one for Christmas. He was a baby when we got him and we handled him quite a bit in the hopes of keeping him tame and non-poky but now as an adult, he's pretty grumpy. ;) But oh so cute! I think some hedgehogs are just grumpier than others and we managed to get one that likes to poke and hiss at us a lot! *L* They're extremely nocturnal, so much that Nigel won't move at all until the lights go out and the living room is dark, then he'll wake up and become active. Hedgehogs love to run, so we have a nice big wheel for him and he runs on it 4 to 5 hours a night. Most people don't realize how much exercise they need so they end up with some pretty pudgy hedgies. We call Nigel our lean, mean poking machine. ;)Sometimes I'll wake Nigel up at about 9 at night and hold him on my lap but because the lights are on he'lljust curl up and go back to sleep in my lap. We feed him a combination of good quality dog and cat food. I do give him occasional veggies and cooked chicken and mealworms as well but he's a pretty picky eater. Mostly he just sticks to eating his dry food.

Here's a couple pictures of our Sir Nigel.

Nigel.jpg

Nigel3.jpg

Hedgehogs are always squished on our roads over here, but they're really common.

I have one cat called Bubbles:
509245333_l.jpg

She's about 14 years old.

Heres Ham, my sirian (he has his pouches stuffed in this picture):

509236191_l.jpg

And my two new arrivals, Mini albino Lionhead, Milly, and Mini albino Lop, Mai:

Buns.jpg

Elizabeth wrote:
cheryl13 wrote:
naturestee wrote:

Hi Cheryl,

Nigel is an indoor pet only. My husband always wanted a hedgehog so two years ago I got him one for Christmas. He was a baby when we got him and we handled him quite a bit in the hopes of keeping him tame and non-poky but now as an adult, he's pretty grumpy. ;) But oh so cute! I think some hedgehogs are just grumpier than others and we managed to get one that likes to poke and hiss at us a lot! *L* They're extremely nocturnal, so much that Nigel won't move at all until the lights go out and the living room is dark, then he'll wake up and become active. Hedgehogs love to run, so we have a nice big wheel for him and he runs on it 4 to 5 hours a night. Most people don't realize how much exercise they need so they end up with some pretty pudgy hedgies. We call Nigel our lean, mean poking machine. ;)Sometimes I'll wake Nigel up at about 9 at night and hold him on my lap but because the lights are on he'lljust curl up and go back to sleep in my lap. We feed him a combination of good quality dog and cat food. I do give him occasional veggies and cooked chicken and mealworms as well but he's a pretty picky eater. Mostly he just sticks to eating his dry food.

Here's a couple pictures of our Sir Nigel.

Nigel.jpg

Nigel3.jpg
Hi Elizabeth!

Wow that is just amazing,i still cannot get over that you have a hedgehog as a pet!

look at him he is gorgeous but such an usual pet to own,but i love it!:)

i had to have a little giggle at the thought of seeing a hedgehog running around on a wheel *giggle's some more*that would be just the cutest thing to see.

Thanks for all that Elizabeth,that was pretty amazing to know all that and very interesting as well:)

cheryl

Aww, I love you're goats!

I wish I could get a goat, but our barn is getting too full... we have chickens running all over the place, a lot of rabbits ('nuff said, lol), only God knows how many cats, getting cows soon, and getting pigs, too. Sooo..... no matter how I plee, I can't get a goat...

Hedgehogs are so adorable, I love goats too. Weused to deliver the newspaper and we delivered to this house that had bunch of them and when it got cold the owner would put sweaters and shirts on them, it was the funniest thing ever. We have several pics of them. They seem really like dogs too, very friendly. I would love to have a pygmyone. I'm also a fan of chinchillas:)

Latest posts

Back