What methods to use to distinguish boy and girl bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shontelle

Reaction score
My baby bunnies are going to be sexed tomorrow and need something to label the boys and girls separately. Do I tie a ribbon around their neck or hand? Draw with marker on their ear? What are people methods that are most effective as they all look very similar .

Hey, i wouldn't recommend a ribbon around their neck or their paws, rabbits have extremely weak limbs and if the ribbon got stuck on something you could potentially risk your bunnies' life. My suggestion for this is to draw with a marker on their ear, but also keep in mind that you need to use a non toxic ink and rabbits are known to lick and groom their ears, so you also might need to draw over it if the bun licks it off, you could write numbers (example odd numbers are males and even numbers are females) or you could distinguish them with different colours, example ( blue ink is males and pink ink is females) hope this helps!

Hey, i wouldn't recommend a ribbon around their neck or their paws, rabbits have extremely weak limbs and if the ribbon got stuck on something you could potentially risk your bunnies' life. My suggestion for this is to draw with a marker on their ear, but also keep in mind that you need to use a non toxic ink and rabbits are known to lick and groom their ears, so you also might need to draw over it if the bun licks it off, you could write numbers (example odd numbers are males and even numbers are females) or you could distinguish them with different colours, example ( blue ink is males and pink ink is females) hope this helps!
Thankyou, marker was what I was leaning towards

Yes, I used markers on their ears sometimes, but even the permanent markers just last a few days at best. What lasts somewhat longer is cutting a small patch of fur, fingernail sized, to about half its lenght on different positions, at least that works with some colours.

If they aren't all the same colour make pictures with M and F cards beside them.

Latest posts

Back