What kind of Rabbits to get for kids?What sex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for two rabbits to add to my Livestock, What kind do you reccommend?
They will be outside rabbits, that may come in at times,
I would like them to be good with kids,
I would like them to be nice looking,
And I can keep the separate, but wouldn't mind them being together,
Should I get a Male and female or two males or two females?
Any Help would be great.

I would go with a bigger bunny since you want your children to be involved.

A nice Rex or even a Californian would be perfect for what you need.

Regarding sex, doesn't matter. Males or females are sweet animals. Just make sure if you tend to keep them together to have one neutered/spayed. Or both. This helps alleviate hormones and stress. Plus is a BIG plus for females if not breeding. Does tend to get cancer of the uterus and spaying gives your doe a long and healthy life.

Wishing you luck. Let us know what you decide.

K :)

Can I keep to males together? I was looking at a Mini Lop and either a Dutch or a Satin.

I don;t want two of the same kind I was thinking something diffrent.

No two males will ever get along. You best bond would be male/female with the male being neutered. and then you next best bond is female/female but they have to be either siblings or mother/ daughter.

I agree: bigger bunnies are better for kids. They're less likely to get dropped or stepped on. Plus they tend to be more laid back, easy going, and friendly. :)

Mini Lops and Dutches are supposed to have good personalities. Dunno much about Satins except their fur is just beautiful! If you're interested in really big bunnies, Flemish Giants, French Lops, and New Zealands are known for having great personalities.

I recommend getting a boy and a girl and getting them both neutered, or at the very least the boy neutered. Otherwise your two rabbits could quickly turn into twenty!

Hope that helps!

Rue

I have a Rex and she is great with my 2 year old daughter. She has never bitten or scratched her. She is so laid back and friendly. Which is surprising to me because she is at the age where her hormones should be getting the best of her. She will be getting fixed in the next couple of weeks. But I definitely recommend a Rex

I have a male Dutch and a female English Spot. My Dutch is very playful, loves toys, and exploring. He even hops on a leash. I did neutered him and I think it's has calmed down. Just know if you get boy/girl and neutered the male they can't be together for a month. (Males have sperm in them for a month after neutering.) I didn't know this so I might be having baby bunnies soon, as I've been keeping them together. Good luck on whatever breed you get and enjoy them.

I vote for the Dutch--they are a beautiful breed and super friendly, and big enough to be fairly "hardy." Plus they come in several colors, so if you want variety you could get two of different colors. As for the sex, in my experience the best combination has been a male/female with the male being neutered. Good luck!

My mini lop is both very curious and exploratory, very happy guy with lots of energy, but he's also really laid back at times and loves to cuddle.

Agreed with the others, male/male generally doesn't work out, female/male works the best but they have to be fixed or kept apart, and female/female can work but is not guaranteed. Please note that if you aren't getting them fixed then you shouldn't keep them together at all, regardless of gender.

Well I came home with three Bunnies, 2 are show quality Dutch's 1 Male 1 Female from a person that shows rabbits, The Mini Lop is a Male.

The rabbits are pet's But what I meant is that they will be housed near the barn and the other farm animals if you like that word better.They will spend time with us everyday,also they will be allowed in the house and they won't be forgot about or ignored.

I Know I just want to get them settled in first, Ill get Pictures in the next week or so. So far so good, The Mini Lop is a little older he is about a ear old and the other two are a little ove a month old.

Understand about letting them settle in first. But we are truly excited to see your bunnies.

Look forward to see them.

K :)

Joe, have you seen the video of the rabbit in Sweden who herds his owners' sheep? He learned watching the dog do the herding. I think you can find it on RO by searching for sheep or herd or herding.

Back