what kind of career involves animals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with polly
- Vet/Specialized Vet. Like if you specialize in exotics (and can treat bunnies!! :bunnydance:)

_________
Nadia

aww anything that an average minded student like me can be? I don't think i'm smart enough to be a vet

If i work in a zoo, i don't want to be those people who clean poop andstuff, what are the people called when they feed and play and train theanimals?

Everyone who works with animals has to clean up'poop and stuff' so you best get used to it! You could workin a pet shop, bea zoo keeper, a conservationist, dogtrainer, animal welfare officer, dog control officer, vet, vet nurse,etc.

Aliena wrote:
Everyone who works with animals has to clean up 'poop andstuff' so you best get used to it!

I was going to say that - you beat me to it LOL

There's a lot of dirty work if you want to be involved with animals Kawaii

However, you could be an animal photographer or artist - a veryenjoyable career without the mess and it's something you could startgetting involved in right now.

Pam

what i mean is i don't want to be only the poopcleaner, becuz i always thought there is someone who cleans all thepoop, and someone different who treats them, and someone different whotrains them. Do i need college degree for those things?

Well I'm doing a degree at Uni now and part ofwhat I have to do to pass involves caring for animals which in turninvolves cleaning up after them. I think the animal industryis the kind of place where you have to start a little bit low and workyour way up. You are never going to avoid the poop cleaningentirely but as your career progresses you will most likely not berequired to do as much. I guess if you get a degree you starta little bit higher in the chain than if you were to just start fromthe bottom.

Too bad that list doesn't include Professional bunnyhugger ;).

I'd love to work with animals, but who knows in a few years I might find something else that grabs my attention.

Vet nurse is called vet tech and it is a collage progam

A zookeeper requires university

Vet requires university

Recpetionist or vet office manager require collage

Animal trainer collage

Pet groomer collage

Actually, receptionist and office manager do notin some instances (US anyway) require college degrees. I havedone office work since hs and the only college I have is in anotherfield, but if you start out at temp agencies, that'll get you theexperience you need for office jobs:D, receptionist, etc.

Kawaii608 wrote:
Do i need college degree for those things?
You're basically going to need a college degree if you don't want tomake minimun wage. What if you got one job then decided youdidn't like that one anymore? A college degree is a greatbackup.

Personally, I want to be a veterinarian. In 10 days I'll findout if I got accepted to a program at Cornell, Introduction toVeterinary Medicine. Although the application date for thathas passed, you might look into something similar. See ifyour local zoo has a program, volunteer at the shelter like Ido. All things to see what you are interested in.

If you work for a temp agency or just get hiredfor office, you don't get minimun wage either, that's why it's a goodstep in the right direction.:D You get about $1.50 or more anhour.:)

Ok, that's just confusing! In NZ adiploma takes two years and a degree takes three or four years (onaverage) but you do them both at University. So there is nocollege (although some high schools have college in their names butthey are just a high school).

Latest posts

Back